Talk

Advanced search

Was this unreasonable? Birthday related

(6 Posts)
Carlyfarley Sun 16-Apr-17 08:26:54

Is my eldest ds birthday soon. He'll be 9.

He's wrote a list of presents he'd like. He's been quite specific about things he'd like. Things he's been on about for ages. He's growing up fast and is into football stuff, video games and Lego.

We've bought him a couple of nice presents, things he asked for but let's just say it's a football kit and a box of Lego it's expensive and doesn't amount to loads.

His nana sent some money in a card because she wasn't sure what to get and she knows if he gets lots sometimes money goes into his account. We've used some of that money to get two other smaller things he wanted and will wrap them up from nana and granddad. We've only used half so there'll still be money left.

For context, his nana agreed we could do this, and ds said before he prefers having presents to open rather than money. His birthday is a Monday and I'm working so there'll be no time to go to the shops.

Also, he's still got money left over from Christmas, his great granny has also sent money which he will get.

I mentioned this to a friend and she thought it was bad that we'd taken money out of his card and I should have been for him to spend on what he wants.

I think under the circumstances it's ok and ds will be over the moon with his presents.

Euphemia Sun 16-Apr-17 08:28:54

None of your friend's business.

You did what Nana wanted, what DS wanted and what you wanted. How could that possibly be unreasonable? confused

Isadora2007 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:29:13

Yanbu. We do that a lot. Especially at Christmas as in laws live away from us so they send money and I allocate gifts. Often we do their presents separately so we can FaceTime them. Once kids are older they may just get money or I may put the money towards bigger gift.

What you did is fine. Hope he has a good birthday.

Neolara Sun 16-Apr-17 08:29:51

It's fine. His grandparents are happy with it and your ds prefers it. It really doesn't matter what your friend thinks.

I hope your ds has a very happy birthday.

Bluntness100 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:36:02

As he is nine I'd probably ask him if he would prefer you bought him presents from his grand parents money or just give him the money, I know he says he prefers gifts, but that's slightly different to knowing he got money and you spent it on his behalf. I'd offer him a shopping trip as part of his birthday so he could go buy what he wished, as if he still has money from other events, he may prefer presents as he has not got the opportunity to buy things with it.

Carlyfarley Sun 16-Apr-17 08:51:41

Thanks, friend wasn't really being horrible she just thought it was a strange thing to do.

He has been really clear he prefers presents to open. In his words he said kids prefer open presents to play with on the day. We used the money for quite specific things (a video game he's been on about and a small box of Lego he wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now