To think there has GOT to be something we can do......

(19 Posts)
LifeGame Sat 15-Apr-17 23:17:00

.....to stop Syrian children killing themselves.

Is this what it has come to? Children so hopeless that they are driven to suicide? Is this the world we live in where my child goes to bed safe and someone else's child might be hit by a bomb. Why are we allowing these bombs to be dropped? Why are we watching children dying from chemical weapons, bombs or suicide?

I cant bear this anymore. I couldnt watch the BBC news clip about children and suicide. So I decided to write this instead. What can I do to stop all this? There has to be something? Donating to charities doesnt feel enough. I need to do more -but what?

NabobsFromNobHill Sat 15-Apr-17 23:32:29

Are you asking what you personally can do to stop bombing in Syria?

confused

Nothing.

WorraLiberty Sat 15-Apr-17 23:47:22

What Nabobs said.

If there was something you could personally do other than give to charity, I'm sure you and everyone else would have done it by now?

You could go and be an aid worker I suppose but that's not going to stop the bombing is it?

RJnomore1 Sat 15-Apr-17 23:48:31

I don't think you can help those still in Syria directly but you can contact your local authority and volunteer to support those rehoused here.

LifeGame Sat 15-Apr-17 23:49:30

Nabobs, I understand that on a personal level we can't do much more than charity and perhaps volunteer. On a collective level, the world has been doing nothing already (well, not much) to protect these lives. Surely, the super powers can make this stop. I don't really care whether they use IS as an excuse or Assad, We just need to do something to end this misery. They are under seige.

stella23 Sat 15-Apr-17 23:52:22

What do you think can be done?

Really there is thing that can be done, anything that could have be done will escalate the current situation to cause the deaths of lots more children and adults.

There is no one answer.

SuperPug Sat 15-Apr-17 23:54:40

As suggested, work for an aid organization so you're actively doing something?
This is partly due to the "superpowers" or whatever you'd call them?
Perhaps you could also take in a refugee child in this country if you feel strongly about it ?

helpimitchy Sat 15-Apr-17 23:56:57

You're up against politics. Politics has no interest in human decency and neither do politicians and world leaders. Money and power come first in their eyes. Dead humans are just collateral damage unfortunately. Don't underestimate just how inhuman most of these leaders are.

LifeGame Sat 15-Apr-17 23:58:56

It just seems like one big game being played by different sides. Civillians are caught in the middle, children who have known nothing but war, growing up with severe mental illnesses. Its just one big disaster. Will it stop when there us no one else left to kill?

LifeGame Sun 16-Apr-17 00:03:16

Itchy, that is exactly what I am angry with. The world leaders just sit and accumulate wealth and power. Do they not have nightmares? The world leaders really have sold their souls. Its as if they don't believe that death can ever touch them.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 16-Apr-17 00:03:23

Agree with others there is nothing we can do. However OP, let's say we could stop what is happening in Syria. Let's say it stopped tomorrow and Syria was left alone to heal. There would still be children around the world milling themselves because of what they're going through. There could be one in your street right now contemplating it.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 16-Apr-17 00:03:43

Sorry, not milling. Killing sad

stella23 Sun 16-Apr-17 00:04:55

There is no big one answer, that's the real problem, say Assad was no longer in control of Syria, who would take his place? IS? Is that any better? Would civilians be any better off?

WorraLiberty Sun 16-Apr-17 00:06:35

OK so to answer your question, "I need to do more -but what?"

Take in a refugee/refugees

Become an aid worker

I can't think of any other suggestions right now, but I'm sure some others can.

Blinkingblimey Sun 16-Apr-17 00:10:04

I only wish we could do something quicker .....look how long it took us to get into the Balkans (our doorstep!!!!) to 'maintain peace'. We are now hamstrung, as a country, by previous inept decisions and current stupid ones. We will have to answer to our children, which is not a happy thought.

caroldecker Sun 16-Apr-17 00:14:35

Quickest way to end it is to write to your MP supporting Assad.

GrandDesespoir Sun 16-Apr-17 00:15:37

Is this the world we live in where my child goes to bed safe and someone else's child might be hit by a bomb.

Yes, unfortunately it is. And that is why I can't stand the phrase, "Everything happens for a reason" and also why I don't believe in God.

stella23 Sun 16-Apr-17 00:26:32

There's a current thread about North Korean launching a missle just a few minutes ago.

mimishimmi Sun 16-Apr-17 23:37:23

Don't send your kids to war and discourage everyone else from doing so. They're trying to knock us ALL off...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now