Talk

Advanced search

Torn

(9 Posts)
Twinklyfaerieglade Sat 15-Apr-17 21:11:51

The housing market where I am is going bonkers. Bid on two houses, like one more than the other, but the location of the second is more urban (my experience all my life)
Both offers accepted today. I am alone after raising a family for many years, homes always chosen for schools and DC social lives .
The home I would love to buy is rural. To many of you that's a joke as it's 5 ml from nearest town, but to my DC it's Siberia. One has his own home the second graduates this year.
AIBU to go with what I want?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 15-Apr-17 21:14:11

Maybe it's time you were selfish for once?!
Buy the rural one and get settled. . Dc will be self sufficient before you know it!!

user1483387154 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:14:34

Go with what you want, your children will both be living somewhere else soon.

cafenoirbiscuit Sat 15-Apr-17 21:15:21

Have what YOU want. It's your home after all!

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 15-Apr-17 21:16:27

Yanbu at all! Now is your time, after all those years thinking about everyone else and their needs/desires. One of your dc doesn't live with you, the other presumably won't be hanging around much longer anyway.

BlueDaisies Sat 15-Apr-17 21:17:53

I'd also say go for the house you want this time.
Does your second child live with you? Will it make it difficult for them to still attend uni? If so could they consider a short term rental near uni?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 15-Apr-17 21:19:10

Graduates school or University? Living at home for how long after the move?

ChocolateSherberts2017 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:29:19

I'd say go for what you want but bear in mind the following as you grow older:
- easy proximity to health care
- easy access to shops & facilities
- public transport but if you have a car then it might not be so important

Is this going to be your final move? It might be idyllic living in the middle of nowhere but it might not be so practical if you're housebound in your 70's

Twinklyfaerieglade Sun 16-Apr-17 08:56:09

Thanks so much all. Son one in Australia on secondment but has a house in nearest townhouse me, son two away at Uni, talking about going to China for a year when he graduates this summer. Health care etc a consideration, I have a car but taxi to nearest hospital/city centre is Less than £15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now