Talk

Advanced search

My dog bit my son

(182 Posts)
Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:12:39

I'm devastated. This afternoon our almost 2 year old Cavapoo bit ds1 16 on the mouth, hard enough that he had to go to hospital for stitches. He's never done anything like this before but now I feel as though I can't trust him at all.

I don't really know what my AIBU is, just wondered if anyone else has ever had this happen and what I should do next really. Ds1 is so upset and was more concerned about consequences for the dog than for himself.

StrawberryJelly00 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:17

Sadly the dog should be put down

Birdsgottaf1y Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:18

What caused it?

To be that high up, something must have been going on and is it hot were you are?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:30

Can you explain the situation prior to ds being bitten. .
Was ddog asleep for example?
Ds eating?
Not looking to excuse it just setting the scene for some logic.

Mammylamb Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:36

Muzzle for bitey chops and find a dog behaviourist. What happened that the dog bit your son?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:56

What was DS doing to the dog at the time? If he is 16 I imagine he had his face next to the dogs or it wouldnt have reached his mouth.

RandomMess Sat 15-Apr-17 19:16:02

What happened leading up to the actual bite?

Bites don't have to be that hard to need stitches, their teeth are razor sharp.

My toddler DD got nipped by an Austrian shepherd through her clothes and needed stitches and the bruise was huge.

HecateAntaia Sat 15-Apr-17 19:16:51

what was happening prior to the dog biting?

GloriaGilbert Sat 15-Apr-17 19:17:13

I'd have him put down. Very sorry to hear this. flowers

Cherrysoup Sat 15-Apr-17 19:19:08

Need more context, OP.

Did you meet the parents of the dog? Unfortunately, some breeders are blinded by the price they can command for this particular cross and aren't too bothered about temperament.

00Salix00 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:19:27

How old is the dog? What was going on/the situation before it bit? A dog biting unprovoked is completely different to one biting in response to a situation it is uncomfortable in. What is your ds' relationship with the dog like usually? Any changes in your life that the dog could be picking up on?
Options would be rehome (giving full, honest history to dogs' home etc) PTS or see a behaviorist.

ShamefulDodger Sat 15-Apr-17 19:19:40

I think what I'd do really depends on what was leading up to the bite.

If ds had been intentionally annoying dog, backing him up in a corner and leaning his face in I think I'd try muzzle and behaviourist (and kick ds in to touch)

If it was pretty much unprovoked I'd pts no hesitation, and I know it won't seem that easy but it's necessary. I'm very sorry.

How was your DS's face next to the dog's? I would get your dog check by a vet if it's totally out of character. If it's unwell or in pain that might have triggered a reaction.

Veterinari Sat 15-Apr-17 19:20:06

How did a cavalier reach a 16 year old boys face?
I suspect there were provoking circumstances
This article has been excellent advice on dog bite prevention and how to pick up on stress behaviour in dogs to prevent bites
imnotamonster.org/any-dog-can-bite/

Hope your son is ok

Gabilan Sat 15-Apr-17 19:24:14

Consult a dog behaviourist and your vet. Make sure they are both up to date on dog psychology. If they try to explain using "dominance" find someone else.

One of my old Jack Russells used to get incredibly over-excited and a couple of times bit my dad hard enough that he needed stitches. He was very carefully kept on a lead around anyone below the age of about 15 (dog, not dad). The dog lived to be almost 16 without harming anyone other than my dad. It helped when my parents moved somewhere more rural and the dog could just be let out into a large garden to run all day. Prior to that he had a small garden and twice daily walks totalling at least an hour.

If you have much younger children you might want to consider rehoming but to be honest I think you're away off pts. It needs addressing but I wouldn't go nuclear on the animal just yet.

Wolfiefan Sat 15-Apr-17 19:27:25

Not enough information. If you let your child climb all over the dog that is completely different to if the dog flew across the room and attacked for no reason.

Jaagojaago Sat 15-Apr-17 19:37:38

Shut up about putting the dog down.

We don't know what has happened yet.

Neither do you.

picklemepopcorn Sat 15-Apr-17 19:43:31

My niece was bitten on the face when the dog leapt up chasing a ball. DN snatched the ball away from the dog near her face, and the dog caught her face as it went for the ball. Needed stitches. Dog had no ill intent, and never hurt anyone in the many years after.

Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:46:09

Sorry, I should have given more info, ddog was lying on his chair when ds1 went to stroke him. He always growls when he wants to be left alone so I can only assume ds ignored the growl and that is when ddog went for him.

The last thing I want is to have him pts or regimes but I'm scared he's going to do it again. I also have ds2 who's 7. We all love him so much.

WankStainWasher Sat 15-Apr-17 19:47:19

I'd rehome the 16yo tbh.

Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:47:21

Regimes?? Means rehomed.

Waffles80 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:47:30

Totally depends on context.

Accidental (eg going for a ball), monitor.

Aggressive / deliberate / unprovoked- put the dog down. Now.

TrinityForce Sat 15-Apr-17 19:48:27

Lol 16yo boy won't be climbing all over a cavapoo, they're ankle height.

TrinityForce Sat 15-Apr-17 19:49:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sodabreadjam Sat 15-Apr-17 19:49:53

You need to get more detail from your DS to establish exactly what happened. Make it clear to him that you need the truth - he shouldn't attempt to cover up for the dog, especially as you have a younger DS.

You might also think about having the dog checked by a vet in case there is a medical problem causing a personality change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now