Talk

Advanced search

To think a baked potato that's still raw in the middle is one of the worst things to serve someone

(19 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Sat 15-Apr-17 18:56:44

I was literally brought up on baked potatoes that weren't cooked all the way through. Honestly i shudder at the thought. DM just served me another one that wasn't cooked and has the hump with me as i asked if it could go back in.

That's not being demanding right?

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Apr-17 18:58:47

Microwaved baked potatoes that were raw in the middle. Even worse. sad

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 15-Apr-17 19:01:06

That's literally what i was given most dinner times. Put in the oven for 5 mins afterwards like that does fuck anything.

I may make many mistakes as a parent but i will never force my children to eat potatoes that aren't cooked!

BewtySkoolDropowt Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:04

Chicken that's raw in the middle. Much worse.

But no, it's a perfectly reasonable request to get it cooked properly.

Wolfiefan Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:15

Offer to cook?
I'm the opposite. I nuke mine in the microwave until cooked then bake them for ages in the oven too!! grin

Mum2jenny Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:41

Not necessarily the worst food, but should be easy to rectify. Put potato back in microwave till cooked.
My pet hate is overcooked calamari or squid, you can do nothing to rectify that!

mirime Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:58

No!

I used to work in a department store and twice a year we'd have a big 20% off day. One year they provided a free lunch for staff, and the jacket potatoes were under done - they told us and said we'd need to finish them off in the microwave for a minute. Unfortunately it was more like 5 minutes, there was only one microwave and we had a shorter lunch break than usual angry

Yanbu at all.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Apr-17 19:03:49

I think baked spuds should always be out of the oven.

Maudlinmaud Sat 15-Apr-17 19:05:42

I asked for a baked potatoe in a cafe once, it came with a side of chips. Yes chips, no salad etc just chips. Was cooked though.

orzal Sat 15-Apr-17 19:08:35

I've just finished eating an oven jacket potato, crispy skin and buttery potato.
It's strange how most vegetables can be eaten undercooked or raw but undercooked potatoes taste awful.

StealthPolarBear Sat 15-Apr-17 19:10:06

There's a pub I used to go to that garnishes its jacket potatoes with crisps. Mmm

ktjb39 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:10:51

Jacket Potatoes are delicious when cooked in the oven for a good long time - so easy! I'm amazed how often people get it wrong, nothing worse than a hard potato.

GloriaGilbert Sat 15-Apr-17 19:10:55

I think baked spuds should always be out of the oven.

Jamie Oliver taught me that microwaved baked potatoes, finished under the grill, are just as good as oven-baked ones.

They are indeed horrible when hard in the middle.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Apr-17 19:11:59

I had cheese and potato pie from the pub once. That came with chips. confused

FloatyCat Sat 15-Apr-17 19:12:14

Jacket potato with chips! Now there's a treat for a spud lover!! misses point of thread

CigarsofthePharoahs Sat 15-Apr-17 19:23:19

I remember being sent on a youth weekend and one dinner time was jacket potatoes that were pretty much raw.
Vile.
I get that its not easy to cook for such a big group, but they were raw! We were told off for complaining, but all we'd had to eat was a tablespoon of beans and we were hungry!
I start mine off in the microwave. A good sized spud needs at least ten minutes to be soft in the middle. Then they go in the oven, usually for about 15 minutes to crisp off on a high heat.
Then lots of butter!

ArseholesOnToast Sat 15-Apr-17 19:35:32

My mother was a terrible cook. She used to do fried eggs in a lukewarm pan swimming in cold oil and not cook the eggs for very long. She'd tip a mix of semi raw egg and oil onto your plate and get in a terrific strop if you said anything. Used to make me gag.

She was a fan of microwaved potatoes too.

brexitstolemyfuture Sun 16-Apr-17 07:58:06

To be honest i wouldn't complain over a microwaved spud, just as long as it was cooked. I sometimes think ready meals is better to be bought up on rather than bad home cooking

Nonibaloni Sun 16-Apr-17 08:03:27

A properly baked potato is the food of the gods, a not cooked baked potato is an ingredient.

And a mother that gets the strop is horrid. My mum didn't drain tuna and she didn't add anything to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now