We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not eat chicken casserole left out overnight?

(93 Posts)
tumpymummy Sat 15-Apr-17 18:50:16

Help! We have just arrived at MIL's house for Easter weekend. She is getting dinner ready which is a chicken casserole. However she has just said that she made the casserole yesterday and has left it on the hob for 24 hours! Hubby asked why she hadn't put it in the fridge after making it? She says it was because she couldn't lift the pan (too heavy with casserole in) and that it will be fine!!! I dont think it will and would never normally eat chicken that hasn't been refridgerated. I have said to hubby that I am not happy eating it, but he says we have to so as not to offend her after she has been to all this trouble. She also had the heating on today so it's not as though her kitchen has been cool all day. What do I do?!

Trb17 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:52:31

I could be wrong but I'm sure chicken doesn't have very long at room temperature, especially after cooling down from hot? I wouldn't eat it myself.

Brokejoke Sat 15-Apr-17 18:52:51

I would eat it (if I ate chicken). But my mum always used to cook stuff and leave it on the hob and we'd eat it the next day and even the day after... I'm surprised none of us ever got food poisoning but we really didn't.

ScarletForYa Sat 15-Apr-17 18:52:56

No way would I eat that. I'm pretty easy going about these kinds of things but no.

Awkward.

EffinElle Sat 15-Apr-17 18:53:52

Yanbu, salmonella city bleurgh!

PinkHeartLovesPink Sat 15-Apr-17 18:54:14

I've made chicken curry before, had too much wine forgot to put it in the fridge and had it the next day. Meh I'm still alive with no ill effects

I'd eat it

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 15-Apr-17 18:54:56

Oh no, awkward. I would feel very uneasy eating that, but I am emetophobic and thus very paranoid.

Purplepeonies Sat 15-Apr-17 18:55:24

My mil is bad for this type of thing too. I usually pick at it and don't eat much but wish I had the balls to say something tbh!

kingscrossnoodle Sat 15-Apr-17 18:55:39

I have a friend who leaves stuff out until next day all the time. She hasn't died yet.

Me on the other hand wouldn't tough it with someone else's mouth envy [sick]

JustCallMeKate Sat 15-Apr-17 18:56:50

I wouldn't eat it. Bleugh

NeedABumChange Sat 15-Apr-17 18:58:39

IF it was heated up for an hour or so I'd eat it.

ellencherry Sat 15-Apr-17 18:59:57

Disgusting. No thanks. Do you have any snacks I your bag?

Trifleorbust Sat 15-Apr-17 19:00:04

Provided it was reheated thoroughly I wouldn't worry. I've never had food poisoning and I'm sure my own sins are greater than that blush

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:08

As long as it's heated up properly I'd eat it.

LostMyDotBrain Sat 15-Apr-17 19:03:04

My parents are bad for this. My stepdad actually claimed the other day that rice can be left out for 24 hours safely. He's not normally a stupid man. I call them out on it every time to make sure they know not to feed DD anything they've left out for ages. I'd definitely not eat day old chicken. I'd claim I was ill if I was worried about offending.

Emphasise Sat 15-Apr-17 19:04:28

I'd eat it. I quite often leave a casserole out overnight - it's still too warm to go in the fridge at bedtime

Emphasise Sat 15-Apr-17 19:05:48

How did people manage before fridges? Surely meat could be kept 24hrs?

GloriaGilbert Sat 15-Apr-17 19:08:45

I'd eat it, but give it a good zap first.

I'd tell myself, in your shoes, that her heating is on a timer and her kitchen was probably cool overnight. wink

Honeybee79 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:09:00

I would eat it it.

As Empathise has said, presumably before fridges people did this. Unless it's a very hot summer's day/heating on on full blast it should be fine.

I make a chicken broth using a carcass. We eat most of it that evening, but I leave it on the hob and eat the rest of it the following day too, albeit normally at lunchtime.

LostMyDotBrain Sat 15-Apr-17 19:09:59

Heating it kills the bacteria, not the toxins that the bacteria have spent 24 hours shitting out onto the food.

Beeziekn33ze Sat 15-Apr-17 19:10:28

Emphasise - no central heating so a cooler house and often a cool larder before most people got fridges.

Ragwort Sat 15-Apr-17 19:12:05

I'd eat it too, as others have said, how did people cope before fridges? it is only relatively recently that having a fridge is the 'norm' - and loads of people throughout the world don't have fridges.

AwaywiththePixies27 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:12:33

I wouldn't eat it either. Then again exdh used to do this sort of thing all the time and appeared to have a cast iron stomach.

Crispbutty Sat 15-Apr-17 19:12:41

I'm a chef and in my own home I would eat it. If it's been in an airtight container so no flies have been near it.

It will be fine.

AwaywiththePixies27 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:02

Then again when I was younger I remember there was nothing better than mums beef stew that had been 'left on the hob'. Left on but not still cooking. It somehow always tasted better when reheated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now