Talk

Advanced search

to consider buying this bike for ds (5)?

(199 Posts)
mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:25:19

His favourite apparently but his dad thinks it's 'girlish'-only because the halford's man said it's a girl's bike, I believe. And yet I see all the reviews talk about buying it for a girl :/ I feel we should go with whAt he wants, I've always told him that boys and girls can play with/wear/do what they choose and aren't limited to 'boys'/girls'' things. Think dh worried he will be snagged and not want to ride it. I think it's terrible to have to think like that.

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Apr-17 17:27:36

Link? Picture?

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:29:35

www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/apollo-woodland-charm-kids-bike-18

Sorry!!

Aeroflotgirl Sat 15-Apr-17 17:31:47

Looks lovely, unisex, the advert days kids bike, not girls hmm

harderandharder2breathe Sat 15-Apr-17 17:32:57

I was expecting pink and frilly but it's green... it's about as gender neutral as they come

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:35:36

*slagged rather than snagged!! It's because of no crossbar that it's boy's apparently but I see a lot of typical 'boy' bikes with no crossbar at this age. I think it's fab and can see why he prefers it to the black and orange/green/red options in the boys' section.apologies for any typos, half my screen's gone blank!

Trifleorbust Sat 15-Apr-17 17:38:37

I'll get flamed but if I thought it would get him bullied I would gently steer him towards a different bike. I'd hope it wouldn't, but where I grew up riding that at 5-8 (assuming he will ride it for a couple of years) would have been an invitation to be bullied.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 15-Apr-17 17:39:04

I wouldn't have chosen it for a boy just because mine all wanted Ben 10 bikes etc at that age but if he has chosen it thwn yes get it for him its pretty neutral.

Dothehokeykokey Sat 15-Apr-17 17:41:44

Sorry but agree with your husband.

My son goes out with his mates on his bike at 7. They would seriously rip the piss if he turned up on that.

Also if you ever plan to sell it you are seriously limiting potential buyers and so reducing the price you will get

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:49:01

Exactly aeroflot, but apparently people have complained that they've been sold a girl's bike without knowing.

harderandharder, his first pick was a beautiful white and purple with bell and basket-to put his cars in! He's actually quite a 'boy's boy' but colours-wise prefers bright colours.

Obviously I don't want to send him out to get snagged but I would love to think a) other kids wouldn't see tgis as anything particularly different and b) that he'd 'own it', knowing myself and his dad agree he can cycle whatever he wants.

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:49:57

Slagged ffs!!

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:52:21

dothehokey, I was planning on handing it on to his younger......brother! 😁

Partyfops Sat 15-Apr-17 17:52:34

Buy a Frog bike instead, much much better quality. And about half the weight.

Aeroflotgirl Sat 15-Apr-17 17:53:08

It looks fine to me, it's hardly pink and frilly with a doll carrier on the back, and pink handlebar streams. If he likes and wants it, go for it.

kingscrossnoodle Sat 15-Apr-17 17:55:42

Other kids do see things like that though. I agree with a PP, at that age he will have the piss ripped out of him. That's not to say I agree that we should be gender stereotyping, but I value my children's happiness much more than any principle.

Buttercupsandaisies Sat 15-Apr-17 17:57:05

Thats defo a girls bike imo. I wouldn't buy it for him

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:57:05

partyfops, they look great-never heard of them before- but are very expensive in comparison.

Aeroflotgirl Sat 15-Apr-17 17:58:59

I was the opposite, at 6 I wanted a Raleigh burner, oh but my parents got me a blooming girls bike so I would confirm to tge norm. I was so unhappy I would not ride it and absolutely hated it. Eventaully my parents gave up a couple of years later and bought me a BMX.

HalfCarrot Sat 15-Apr-17 17:59:19

It says Florence on it if that makes a difference

soundsystem Sat 15-Apr-17 17:59:36

I'm very much for "let toys be toys" and letting kids choose what they want, but that is a girls's bike. Not because of the colours, but because of the frame: boys and girls bike frames are different.

I think a lot of children would know that, so they would likely comment/ask why he's riding a girl's bike.

That's not necessarily a reason not to get it if he loves it. I think if he's confident explaining that it's because he likes it that's fine, but I do think he needs to be aware/prepared for it.

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:00:42

kingscross, I agree, which is why I asked for opinions. I didn't see it as a girl's bike myself when he spotted it , which is certainly clouding my judgment. I'd love to think if the children on the road said it's a girl's bike that he'd say he can have whatever bike he likes and that they'd forget it then if he wasn't irked by them. Are 5yos seriously so motivated to slag someone off?

Floralnomad Sat 15-Apr-17 18:02:22

Sorry it looks like a girls bike , nothing to do with the frame ,it's the decoration and much as we would like to think they wouldn't other kids will ask him why he has a girls bike .

Donthate Sat 15-Apr-17 18:04:45

I'd also say get a frog bike. Especially if you are handing it down. They are great.

mikado1 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:06:08

Is the frame that different to this?
i1.adis.ws/i/washford/242641?$imageMainRetinaMobile$

aeroflot, I was similar! smile luckily I had my brother's castoffs! smile

Trifleorbust Sat 15-Apr-17 18:06:51

I'd love to think if the children on the road said it's a girl's bike that he'd say he can have whatever bike he likes and that they'd forget it then if he wasn't irked by them.

Sounds like you are pushing an agenda on him tbh. You almost seem to see this as an opportunity to showcase his level of maturity. The thing is, he will care massively about being seen as 'girly' by his peers, no matter how silly this is to our adult minds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now