Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed by DH's purchase

(35 Posts)
IamAporcupine Sat 15-Apr-17 16:01:00

DH and DS5 went to Costco yesterday. They came back with a massive "paddling pool" (200 x 170 x 55cm). Our back yard is only slightly bigger than that shock
It is going to be a PITA to fill in and keep clean, plus we will hardly be able to use it as we live in the North East and it never gets that hot!

I know he meant well, but he never thinks things through!

DelinquencyMatters Sat 15-Apr-17 16:03:19

😂 Sorry but that's funny - a whole back garden of a freezing cold pool! A well thought out plan, obviously.

This is why I grocery shop online, so I don't accidentally buy something like this!

Try to enjoy it? 💦

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 15-Apr-17 16:06:30

Sounds like DD. Wants to fill the whole garden with a swimming pool. I pointed out that we live in Canada. She looked at me and said, "skating rink" in a sarcastic voice. She's 6, though.

statetrooperstacey Sat 15-Apr-17 16:08:36

FFS never mind filling and cleaning it, can u imagine emptying it! Have u asked him what his plans are? Next time u nip out fro bread and milk cone home with a puppy.grin

Huskylover1 Sat 15-Apr-17 16:10:14

Let the puppy in the pool....claws will burst it.....job done.

PovertyPain Sat 15-Apr-17 16:11:30

Do you have a water meter? That'll cost a fortune, if you do.

StiginaGrump Sat 15-Apr-17 16:11:52

Nah it's a marvellous purchase. There is no greater way to play on the two days we get hot enough to splash all day. It takes a half day to fill it empties at a trickle and will give you a fab time - jump insmile

Allthewaves Sat 15-Apr-17 16:12:46

Crikey. Just no. My kids whinge that ours is too cold even in middle of summer

IamAporcupine Sat 15-Apr-17 16:14:40

statetrooperstacey I did ask him how he'd empty it - he showed me the plug hmm

OnionKnight Sat 15-Apr-17 16:16:39

I bought a massive pool a few summers ago and it was the best thing I did that summer, but we are in the south and we have a massive garden.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea to your DH at the time grin

longlostpal Sat 15-Apr-17 16:20:30

Is it an inflatable one? If not, and it has to live in the garden the whole time, yanbu. If it is, I think you might be being a bit U. It might only come out for a few baking hot days each summer, but those days will be extremely fun! I love a good splash in a paddling pool.

Seeingadistance Sat 15-Apr-17 16:21:33

Was it a bargain?

mycavitiesareempty Sat 15-Apr-17 16:23:40

Is your garden totally flat? Like spirit-level flat?? If not he might as well take it right back as it will be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Buy a cover and the chemicals to treat it and use it. I'm very envy I wanted one of the pools from Costco last year but duh kept saying the garden wasn't big enough I don't care I'd happily cover the teeny bit of grass with a huge pool and bob about in it all summer...and I live in Scotland grin

Questioningeverything Sat 15-Apr-17 16:26:24

He showed you the plug 😂😂 I'm having a laughing fit on a bus, thanks for that 😂😂

eachtigertires Sat 15-Apr-17 16:27:37

I totally would do this. But not in England, it just doesn't get hot enough. I live in Canada and spent most of yesterday outside in the sun. There are a few months of the year here when you could use a pool most days.

Greenkit Sat 15-Apr-17 16:28:19

'Fill it with kettles of hot water'

Thinks back to when I was a kid

228agreenend Sat 15-Apr-17 16:30:43

We've all made unexpected Costo purchases, but that has made me lough

SquinkiesRule Sat 15-Apr-17 16:31:51

Fill it with balls and make it a ball pit. More use all summer and they can always wear a coat.

haveacupoftea Sat 15-Apr-17 16:33:47

That sounds amazing!

Laiste Sat 15-Apr-17 16:37:55

We bought a big one last summer, big garden, get plenty of hot weather. WORST idea!

Yes, the garden needs to be very level otherwise you'll have a permanent shallow end where no one wants to sit.

If you don't buy a cover (which will stay on in a wind) it'll be full of bits and leaves and stuff by the end of the first night and no one will want to get in it/sieve it.

You have to buy chlorine tabs if the water is going to stand for long.

The water will always be very very cold unless the weather is reliably hot enough to whip the cover off first thing in the morn to warm up a bit.

If you put it on grass you will be left will a foul FOUL smelling patch of stinking rotten dead grass under it. Which will take apx one year to recover unless you strip it and seed it.

If you don't set up a piphon to empty it down a drain when you empty it you'll have a flooded garden and a soaked lawn.

But - sometimes these are things you need to just find out for yourself wink

IamAporcupine Sat 15-Apr-17 16:42:59

Was it a bargain?
It was £25

Fill it with kettles of hot water
Yeah, that was exactly what I thought!

Oly5 Sat 15-Apr-17 16:45:55

Oh don't be such a spoil sport, your kids will love it! We fill ours with kettles mixed with cold water, angle a slide into it and everyone has a great time. So what if it takes ages to empty and is a pain to clean? Pah, they're only young once

EweAreHere Sat 15-Apr-17 16:46:11

Can you just return it?

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Sat 15-Apr-17 16:52:59

Ummm, how are they supposed to use the garden for other things, like hanging out washing or sitting out? We once borrowed a mini bouncy castle that filled the whole tiny garden, basically we opened the back door and climbed in. Fun for a weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now