Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want my car to smell of lavender?

(24 Posts)
NennyNooNoo Sat 15-Apr-17 12:04:24

DH asked yesterday if he could borrow my car this afternoon as his is making strange noises. Fine with me. He then won brownie points by cleaning it inside and out. Fantastic. But then, he decided it needed 'freshening up' ( it has previously had a leak) so he cut lots of sprigs of lavender from the garden and stuffed the seat pockets with it, leaving it overnight. I opened the car this morning and nearly got knocked out by the smell. It stinks. I don't even like the smell of lavender ( he planted it, not me). Reminds me of a granny perfume or cheap air freshener. He's taken the lavender out and had the doors open for an hour but the smell is still overpowering. Before he left, he rolled down the window to say goodbye and I could smell it from a metre away. How will I get the smell out? It's so strong it actually makes me feel sick.

Didyoumeantobesorude1 Sat 15-Apr-17 12:09:37

Take it in for a professional clean. They will refresh it with delightful vanilla smells (puke) and put vile scent into the cooling system (boak).

Pepperedpig Sat 15-Apr-17 12:10:47

Eww I hate lavender it gives me a migraine I think if have to kill Dp if he did that.

Pinkheart2017 Sat 15-Apr-17 12:12:43

Just leave all the car windows open for The rest of the day , it will help the worst of it.

I can't stand lavender either it's so strong, someone gave me a lavender biscuit ( I kid you not) and honestly it was like eating my granny. Won't be repeating that!

winewolfhowls Sat 15-Apr-17 12:14:21

It puts lead in your pencil though....

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 15-Apr-17 12:17:54

Put a cup of vinegar in it overnight. I don't know why or how this works, but it does. It's what I do after anyone has vomited in an enclosed space.

NennyNooNoo Sat 15-Apr-17 12:23:23

I'll try that tonight, Goody. He's taken the car now so I'm imagining a trail of lavender scent all the way down the M11.
I have a certain sense of schadenfreude in that he is going to a football match smelling strongly of lavender as it will transfer to all his clothing. Pity the people sitting near him.

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 15-Apr-17 12:30:03

Do point out to him that lavender is a soporific, and it's not a good idea to feel sleepy while driving...

NennyNooNoo Sat 15-Apr-17 13:10:00

Hadn't thought of that, Hirpleswithhaggis. Isn't it supposed to be relaxing rather than soporific?

LittleCandle Sat 15-Apr-17 13:13:47

Lavender is well known as a headache cure. It is a natural antiseptic and lavender lemonade is wonderful! Perhaps your husband went a bit ott with the amount he put in the car, but really, is it the worst smell in the world? I would far prefer my car to smell of lavender than cat pee. If it bothers you that much, drive his car until the smell has gone from yours.

skerrywind Sat 15-Apr-17 13:27:26

What a lovely thing to do. I would be delighted if my OH did this- but I adore lavender

( totally misses the point of the thread)

harderandharder2breathe Sat 15-Apr-17 13:27:32

Bleurgh no yadnbu

I hate the smell of lavender!

NennyNooNoo Sat 15-Apr-17 13:52:39

That is the plan for the time being, littlecandle, but I'd quite like my car back at some point, especially as his has a fault and as of Tuesday I'll be driving the kids to school again.

NennyNooNoo Sat 15-Apr-17 13:59:40

Lavender biscuit sounds grim! In the same sort of league as Parma violets.

NennyNooNoo Sun 16-Apr-17 15:02:47

He's confessed. It wasn't fresh lavender from the garden. It was half a bloody bottle of lavender essential oil. All over the rear footwells so no chance of getting it out. I'm now trying to mask it with other natural essential oils. Not sure whether this is going to be a disaster...I have tea tree, lemon and rosemary, any of which might help. It's going to smell like some sort of hippy den...

ijustwannadance Sun 16-Apr-17 15:06:30

Id give him a bowl of hot soapy water and a cloth and tell him to crack on with cleaning it.

It would give me a migraine too!

SparklyUnicornPoo Sun 16-Apr-17 15:14:31

NO! don't mix tea tree with lavender, I put lavender water in my hair once to try to cover the smell of nit shampoo and it was the most awful smell ever.

Justanothernameonthepage Sun 16-Apr-17 15:16:22

Gah I hate lavender too. But sprinkle dry coffee grinds in it and then vaccum them up an hour or so later

Justanothernameonthepage Sun 16-Apr-17 15:18:33

Oh and send him out to get a decent upholstery shampoo as well to use on seats and footwells first and then once dry use the coffee trick. (Sister once left spilt lavender oil in my car)

Spudlet Sun 16-Apr-17 15:18:34

My car smells of decomposing squirrel (probably a squirrel) courtesy of the faithful hound. Want to swap?!

ShiroiKoibito Sun 16-Apr-17 15:18:41

oh god i hate lavender with a passion - old lady smell

MillieMoodle Sun 16-Apr-17 15:22:15

I love the smell of actual lavender but essential oil stuff would give me a headache so YANBU.

I read your thread title as your cat smelling of lavender though, and thought there were probably worse things he/she could smell of grin

Charliej86 Sun 16-Apr-17 15:29:04

Make DH buy you a new car!!!
I can't stand lavender

NennyNooNoo Sun 16-Apr-17 16:16:08

I have some indoor ( as opposed to car) carpet shampoo actually - maybe I should try that. He doesn't see what the problem is - thinks it smells nice.confusedthen I'll raid the compost bin for coffee grounds....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now