Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not to want to be used as a free 24 hour call out service

(24 Posts)
Mermaidinthesea123 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:08:07

One of the patients in my department lives opposite me. She is constantly coming over night and day when I am off to show me whatever her complaint of the day is, usually something utterly miniscule.
One night she sent her daughter over at midnight to say mums really ill can you come over. I went over in PJs and hair curlers to find she had a splinter in her foot.
I just snapped and said I'm not a free 24 hour call out service, I'm not insured to treat you unless I'm at work and any further problems you have you need to call out your on call doctor not send your daughter over to wake me up!!!
Now she isn't talking to me and has told the whole street I am a massive unfeeling cow. Luckily the whole street avoids her like the plague as she is one of lifes takers.
But seriously if your GP lived opposite you would you be over there every 5 minutes asking them to look at every niggling problem?
I thought we had this out last year but it looks like I'll be spending the summer deaf to the doorbell again :-(

YouTheCat Fri 14-Apr-17 19:10:49

What a nightmare! Is there anything you can do about it, officially?

PurpleDaisies Fri 14-Apr-17 19:11:13

It's really inappropriate for her to be seeing you with her medical complaints. It would have been better if you'd taken a calm stand from the beginning but you're going to have to stop seeing her now. Stick to your guns-calm but firm.

Trifleorbust Fri 14-Apr-17 19:12:22

Just say you feel it's inappropriate. And repeat.

TheClacksAreDown Fri 14-Apr-17 19:17:06

I suspect you may need to send her a formal letter advising her of the correct ways to access out of hours support and advising that you should not be contacted directly. Either from you or perhaps someone else. I would do it now to set a line in the sand. I would make clear in the letter that they have approached you in your home a large number of times including on x date at midnight over a splinter.

And so what if she bitches to anyway who listens? Nobody would expect you to be at her beck and call.

I would also make sure your employers are aware of the situation so they can support you and deal with any issues should she try and make a fuss.

TomatoTomAto Fri 14-Apr-17 19:17:49

Wow!
I think you need to just say "I'm sorry but I can't help you".

Every.Single.Time.

She'll/they'll get the hint eventually.

alltouchedout Fri 14-Apr-17 19:20:49

My GP lived two doors up from me for years. I never once contacted him at home. Why would I? In an emergency I would dial 999, in an urgent but not emergency situation I would attend an OOH service, for everything else I'd make an appointment as normal.

Cherrysoup Fri 14-Apr-17 19:40:57

Absolute refusal to engage, every single time. If she sends her dd over again, tell her to phone the surgery. This would drive me mad. She is taking advantage of your good nature. Stop being a doormat.

Mermaidinthesea123 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:08:19

Thanks everyone, I told my boss and she said absolutely do not treat as I would not have a leg to stand on if anything went wrong or she accused me of something.
I shall just keep saying no like a broken record on repeat until she gets the message.

MimsyFluff Fri 14-Apr-17 20:10:14

If a doctor lived next door to me the only time I'd be knocking on the door is if we called and ambulance and life and death! (25 minutes away from hospital)

expatinscotland Fri 14-Apr-17 20:13:09

If my doctor lived near me no, I wouldn't expect them to provide care to me outside hours.

shouldnthavesaid1 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:17:48

We used to do this twenty years ago but so did everyone else - two local GPs and a district nurse who took in turn to be on call day and night. No other out of hours cover until 1998 I think. I used to hate phoning the doctor at night and waking his wife blush.

My mum still lives just next to district nurse/midwife - no way could I nip down to hers if I needed help, would be mortified !

Especially now that NHS 24 and out of hours cover exists.

Tigerpaws57 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:19:44

Is this a reverse? Surely a gp would have training in how to deal with inappropriate demands from a patient? Your department? Your boss? Sounds a strange set up for a gp.

glueandstick Fri 14-Apr-17 20:22:04

Our local pharmacist lives a couple of doors down. Don't know them well (apart from to smile/pass the time of day).

I knocked one bank holiday weekend to ask for help. I needed an emergency plumber and they had one the weekend before and mentioned they did bank holidays 😂

glueandstick Fri 14-Apr-17 20:22:37

I'd ignore your bell all summer. Leave the postman a note to leave stuff behind the hedge.

TheFirstMrsDV Fri 14-Apr-17 20:34:48

Sorry, I am not clear.
Are you saying you are her GP?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 14-Apr-17 20:49:16

Cheeky cah. But if you've done it before then that's an invitation for her to keep asking. I'd much rather have home visits at my convenience than have to make an actual appointment at the surgery.

Didiplanthis Fri 14-Apr-17 20:51:37

I think op is saying she works in a hospital dept not a gp. And no, gp's do not have training in dealing with inappropriate demands......

Booboostwo Fri 14-Apr-17 20:57:56

Very inappropriate for her to pester you like this in your own home!

I used to go out with a vet who kept his horse in a livery yard. He couldn't set foot on the yard to enjoy his horse (in his spare time) without being accosted by all the other liveries with questions and requests to just look at this one, little thing! It was really annoying and sometimes we had to tip toe in and out trying to avoid everyone.

Tigerpaws57 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:02:38

Didplanthis - pretty sure they do!

Tigerpaws57 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:06:40

Also op said "if your gp lived across the road from you" which pretty much implies she is her neighbour's gp.

Didiplanthis Fri 14-Apr-17 21:11:45

I thought she was referring to a similar but different situation but may well have read it wrong. Maybe gp's do get training in it now. They never used to but things do move on and hopefully improve !

KoalaDownUnder Fri 14-Apr-17 21:17:05

OP is a podiatrist, not a GP.

TheFirstMrsDV Fri 14-Apr-17 21:22:35

Does your neighbour have a lot of trouble with her feet then?
Bit of a liberty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now