Talk

Advanced search

Mum won't give birth certificates

(82 Posts)
Spoog1971xx Fri 14-Apr-17 18:34:20

Ok. So I don't want to turn this into a brexit thread but...
I need to get my Irish passport, My sister ( who lives in Europe, has a mortgage etc) really needs to get her Irish passport. She is going to lose her job unless she either naturalises or gets her Irish passport. She flew over to get the needed documents from my mum - an Irish citizen (my nans birth certificate etc). My mum said she didn't know where they were ( she did) when pressed she refused to hand them over saying they weren't to leave the house. My sister saw the documents but my mum refuses to let her borrow them. Enter my dad who says ' brexit won't happen' um, it already has...
I'm really confused, she basically said we cannot have my grandmothers documents. It's not like she even liked the woman! My parents have always been very controlling but this is beyond weird as they know my sisters only alternative is to marry her BF which she isn't keen on.
Aibu?

SoloDance Fri 14-Apr-17 18:35:38

Can she get copies?

dementedpixie Fri 14-Apr-17 18:36:00

Can she order a copy? I know in here you can order anyone's birth certificate. Don't know how much it costs though

Allthewaves Fri 14-Apr-17 18:36:12

Is your sister irish by birth

Spoog1971xx Fri 14-Apr-17 18:37:28

Hi no we are claiming by descent and we need the originals. I've offered to get copies for my mum to keep ( thought it might help) but no, she won't let them leave the house!

dementedpixie Fri 14-Apr-17 18:38:25

You can order copies from the registrar so they will be original copies

mydietstartsmonday Fri 14-Apr-17 18:38:50

It is easy to order copies online. By pass our mum order them.

dementedpixie Fri 14-Apr-17 18:39:24

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/registrar_birth_marr_death.html#ld1a9a

tiggytape Fri 14-Apr-17 18:39:49

Can you apply online instead here

Birth certificates are a matter of public record. They don't 'belong' to anyone. Your mum doesn't have to hand over the original if she doesn't want to but she cannot stop you (or anyone else anywhere) ordering copies of them.

mydietstartsmonday Fri 14-Apr-17 18:39:58

When you order online they count as the originals

Semaphorically Fri 14-Apr-17 18:40:08

You can order one here:

www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/

Trifleorbust Fri 14-Apr-17 18:40:31

She needs to order one. But that is awful. A birth certificate is surely the property of the person whose birth it registers!

PerspicaciaTick Fri 14-Apr-17 18:40:49

Just go and order yourselves certified copies from the government website.
www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/
It's not cheap but it it means you can work around your mum.

tiggytape Fri 14-Apr-17 18:41:57

You don't need originals - certified copies are acceptable. Lots of people won't have originals for all sorts of reasons.

EatsShitAndLeaves Fri 14-Apr-17 18:45:24

Yes - order your own copies.

Don't engage with the power play behaviour.

Pinkheart2017 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:46:14

You can order your own copies

Allfednonedead Fri 14-Apr-17 18:48:21

I'm just in the process of getting Irish passports for my children and husband.
You order the birth certs online - either from the UK if relevant, or from the Irish civil register services. In either case you get an 'original' with no need for certification.
You will also need birth certs, marriage and death certs etc for the ancestors, also available online.
The embassy of Ireland has a very useful website to guide you through the process - it's two stages, as you have to apply for citizenship first, then a passport.
www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/our-services/citizenship/born-outside-ireland/
Pm me for me help if you want.

ihave2naughtydogs Fri 14-Apr-17 18:49:38

Are you sure your mum isn't hiding a dark secret which would show up on the birth cert ?

CanaryFish Fri 14-Apr-17 18:55:12

I hope you can get them , im sure any adult is entitled to their own birth cert thru the proper channels. What if a house burned down etc?
I had similar when my husband (British living in Ireland) was trying to get a British passport they told me I needed something from his dad (I can't remember was it the dads sig, birth cert, passport etc) but I told them he hadn't spoken to his dAd in 10 years and magically the requirement went away

CanaryFish Fri 14-Apr-17 18:57:07

Sorry I read that again, are you looking for your mums birth cert?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Apr-17 18:58:54

You can get your own. However, prep your sister that someone may be hiding something <bitter experience>

Topseyt Fri 14-Apr-17 18:59:09

Order copies. My DD has.

You don't need your mother's permission to do that because they are a matter of public record.

People have given the links above.

onalongsabbatical Fri 14-Apr-17 18:59:34

Originals just means from the proper source, i.e. not photocopies of a cert, but a certified cert. They don't cost that much - your sister could have saved the airfare!
Maybe they have sentimental value for your mum? Surprised she hasn't just told you you can get copies, though.

User4637384885 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:59:54

She is being unreasonable obviously, but I'm pretty sure that when they ask for the original that includes the 'original copies' you can order from the registrar or online.

User4637384885 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:00:10

Ooh sorry, X post with several others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now