Talk

Advanced search

Well that's a new one- reason why not go an interview

(20 Posts)
Raggydolly3 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:08:23

Applied for a job at a college supporting students with learning disabilities. I have worked with people with learning disabilities for 22 years in 3 different roles. Stayed at each one at least 6 years, my last post I have been there for 9 years.
Was quite surprised not to have got an interview so I rung up and asked why and was told "I was over experienced"
I have heard of over qualified but never over experienced.
Anyone else been told this

TheStoic Fri 14-Apr-17 18:11:04

Sounds ridiculous to me. I think they plucked that out of the air for something to say.

mrsalways Fri 14-Apr-17 18:12:31

Maybe it's a minimum wage job and they don't want to pay you more because you have lots of experience hmm

MrsMeeseeks Fri 14-Apr-17 18:12:44

I've had that before: it's usually when they have had retention issues and think an experienced person would quickly become bored in the role and move on.

Cheaploopaper Fri 14-Apr-17 18:14:23

Yes, I have been told this before. They think you're too good for the job so they are scared you will jump ship with your experience when something better comes up.

ajandjjmum Fri 14-Apr-17 18:15:29

I've heard of this many, many times (although never been told it myself!! grin)

It's a compliment!

Semaphorically Fri 14-Apr-17 18:17:09

I agree with them - people with too much experience can really struggle in entry level or basic roles because they're bored rigid. If you apply for roles that you have more experience than necessary for maybe address this in the cover letter?

You could write back to them saying that you know you have a great deal more experience than perhaps they were expecting but you want to get back to what drew you to this work in the first place / have no interest in management roles / want a career slowdown (delete as appropriate).

Raggydolly3 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:20:52

if anything it's a step up and more money then I am on now. About four grand more.
Anyway it's better hen being told you are under experienced I suppose

TheFirstMrsDV Fri 14-Apr-17 18:37:16

I have heard that before but it is particularly worrying in this context.

I have a son with LD. I want people with experience working with him.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 14-Apr-17 18:40:00

I agree with mrsDV, surely the more experience the better when it comes to people with learning disabilities? I have no idea how there could be such a thing as too much experience. Odd!

MikeUniformMike Fri 14-Apr-17 18:42:39

Over-experienced probably means you would want too much pay or are too old. I have heard it a few times since turning 45.

BaggyCheeks Fri 14-Apr-17 18:47:01

If I heard "over experienced" in that context I'd assume that they weren't wanting someone coming in with fancy ideas to change their working practises. I'd also prefer more experienced people to be working in that environment, so agree it's odd!

Gwenhwyfar Fri 14-Apr-17 18:48:35

It's similar to over-qualified though isn't it. Over-qualified doesn't necessarily mean paper qualifications either, it could be over-skilled.
Sound like the job would have been too junior for you OR your boss would be much younger than you and might be intimidated by an experienced subordinate who knows what she's doing.

AnnieAnoniMouse Fri 14-Apr-17 18:50:52

I'm sort of sorry you didn't get the job, but not entirely as I'm sure if they're that bad at this stage, it would only get worse.

I think this is a serious problem though & shouldn't be swept under the rug.

You applied for a job supporting students with LDs. You have been told you are 'over experienced' for the position. I'd look at the governing body of the organisation and ask some questions, get it looked into. Given it's more than you're being paid now, it's not like you're asking them to pay above their budget. Its also not really a position where you can be 'over experienced' it's not like a lawyer going for a job stacking shelves in a supermarket where the employer might feel they'll either be bored or not take instruction etc. Surely the more experience the better in this job.

TheFirstMrsDV Fri 14-Apr-17 20:01:05

This is not the same as having too much experience for a retail or office job.
In those cases they will wondering why you were applying for something you are going to leave when a managerial post comes up.

You cannot be too experienced for support or care work. That doesnt make any sense.

Raggydolly3 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:07:31

I am 33. I don't really get it either. I have done some work in the college including some workshops with students there which I thought would stand me in good stead and have always got really postive feedback from both staff and pupils. In fact it was another member of staff at the college who told me about the job and suggested I apply.
The only thing I can poss think of is this particular member of staff is a bit mouthy and I can see her going to the head of the learning support department who would be looking at the applications and telling her how I should get the job and how good I would be etc etc etc. She may have got the women's back up before my application even came through.

Raggydolly3 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:08:21

Sorry 39, typo

Raggydolly3 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:09:35

Wish I was 33 😆😉

UppityHumpty Fri 14-Apr-17 20:23:26

Over-experienced can also be used if they think you're too old for the team. Suggest reapplying for similar roles without any dates in the education/dob sections - I've found doing so has provided me with more interviews

BlueSkyBurningBright Fri 14-Apr-17 21:08:37

Over experienced = too old. Which is illegal. By saying that they do not want someone with more than x years experience they are restricting candidates over a certain age.

You could ask more questions, saying that you meet the minimum requirements for the role on the spec and that you do not understand how you can be over experienced. It might get you an interview, but probably not the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now