Talk

Advanced search

Sending in a late job application would you bother?

(37 Posts)
Fairweather123 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:22:24

In short...

Just spotted a great job but closing date was yesterday. Typical! Would you bother completing job application and sending in?

I'm hoping they might consider my application if I send along with a pleasant email explaining I was given my redundancy notice this week so have only just started looking and spotted the ad today, would be very grateful if you would consider my application.

WWYD?

Thank you.

araiwa Fri 14-Apr-17 17:32:56

Waste of time imo

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 14-Apr-17 17:33:45

I would try. You never know!

Monkeyinshoes Fri 14-Apr-17 17:36:35

Do it!

The worst they can say is no. Definitely worth a try.

HunterHearstHelmsley Fri 14-Apr-17 17:38:13

If I received it, I'd bin it.
If my manager received it, she'd consider it.

Might as well give it a go.

BlueSkyBurningBright Fri 14-Apr-17 17:44:37

Yes do it. They will not have looked at cv's yet, so worth a chance.

It also depends if it is an agency or with the company directly. The agency closing date will be days before the company one, as they will need to talk to and shortlist candidates for the company.

DropZoneOne Fri 14-Apr-17 17:45:47

Do it! I lost out on an internal move because a late applicant had more experience than me for the role. Whilst I was gutted, I couldn't argue with my boss wanting to consider an application from someone who could do the job without further training. Send it in, you never know. Immediate availability as a result of redundancy could work in your favour too.

lostatsea1 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:46:25

To be honest we always have so many applicants we use anything to whittle them down so we would not look at it.

But it does not mean other places are the same. If you apply there is a chance it will be considered if you don't there is no way.

But it is a bank holiday so weigh it up against the amount of time you will need to spend on it.

tectonicplates Fri 14-Apr-17 17:47:18

It's definitely worth it. I did this once, a whole week late as I'd only just discovered the advert, with a covering email along the lines of "I know the closing date was x, but I thought it was worth applying in case you hadn't found anyone yet". I received a nice reply saying that they had found someone, but that they liked my CV.

If the closing date was yesterday then the person responsible won't start going through them until Tuesday. If you send the email over the Easter weekend, it'll be in their inbox first thing on Tuesday so they're more likely to just add it in with all the others.

Also it depends on what sort of company it is. I think a small company will be more understanding than public sector organisations.

Hassled Fri 14-Apr-17 17:49:26

I think it's worth a shot. They may not have had many quality candidates - they may be grateful that a good one has come in and not care that it's a day late. There's no way of telling - but it's worth a go. You've nothing to lose.

MsJudgemental Fri 14-Apr-17 17:52:56

I hope it's punctuated better than the title of your post, otherwise no, I wouldn't bother.

Ameliablue Fri 14-Apr-17 17:54:38

It depends on the company, a small one might still consider it but larger ones, it won't get looked at.

Bluntness100 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:56:03

You really have nothing to lose, go for it.

TreeTop7 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:56:49

It can't hurt. And as pp said, they probably won't start sifting until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway so it won't inconvenience them in any practical way.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:01:41

I would definitely consider it for senior roles where the candidate pool is generally smaller and you want to consider all good candidates. For our more junior roles, unless your application was stellar then I wouldn't because we get a lot. Can you tell us a bit about the role so we can give better advice?

Ms Judgemental (yes you are indeed) - what a rude and unhelpful post. As if anyone writes a job application as they post on an informal site on the internet.

whitepatter Fri 14-Apr-17 18:02:46

I probably wouldn't bother. It''s just a waste of time with the volume of applicants these days, it's an easy decision to throw out those who haven't met basic conditions like the closing date.

rubybleu Fri 14-Apr-17 18:05:01

Definitely. If you have a good skill set for the job, it should be considered unless it's a government type job with strict hiring rules.

tectonicplates Fri 14-Apr-17 18:07:13

I think most of the people in this thread advising you against it are probably working in large, bureaucratic organisations with arsey HR departments. I can't imagine that any small/medium private company would have a problem with it.

mumofone1234 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:14:00

Of course you should! The quality of applicants was always very poor when I used to recruit (large company, but I was recruiting for a small branch of it), and I definitely would have looked at a late application. But you should include an explanation for why you have sent it in late.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:14:07

I agree with tectonic plates (although I think level makes a difference too). What's the role?

useyourimagination Fri 14-Apr-17 18:14:35

I work for a small company. The position I applied for had actually already been filled but I was offered an interview for an alternative role which I am now doing very happily.

EastMidsMummy Fri 14-Apr-17 18:18:34

I applied for a job with a small company and got an email immediately saying they were sorry but the job had just been filled, although they would keep me on file etc etc.

Thought nothing more of it. Six weeks later they got back in touch. The woman they hired had been a disaster. Would I like an interview? Ended up in a good job with a great bunch of people.

OlennasWimple Fri 14-Apr-17 18:19:53

Do it, but acknowledge that you know that the application deadline has passed. Dont' say that you are only applying now because you have jsut been made redundant (it looks like you aren't really keen on the specific post, just desperate). Don't be disappointed if they don't take your application any further.

Gwenhwyfar Fri 14-Apr-17 18:21:44

Do it, but don't spend too much time on it. Maybe you could do a hard copy and drop it in to the office by hand? That way, they might think it arrived Thursday night or something. You can always follow up with an email if they specified it had to be electronic. If the deadline was yesterday pm, surely they won't be doing anything until Tuesday morning?

Iamastonished Fri 14-Apr-17 18:22:34

OH sent in a late application. The company were so impressed with his CV that they contacted the post office to cancel sending out a letter that they had already put in the post to someone else offering them the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now