Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at sexist magazines?!

(17 Posts)
Meekonsandwich Fri 14-Apr-17 14:11:30

So was in the super market today looking at magazines and looking at the fitness section, I saw mens fitness and started looking for a women's fitness, but lo and behold there wasn't one.
So I flicked through men's fitness, and took a step back to see the men's and women's magazines were pretty much separated, men's being hobby based magazines, cars, fitness, cycling, photography, computers ect, whereas the women's were good housekeeping, cooking magazines, fashion, sewing, knitting and bloody gossip magazines.

I'm so disappointed!!!

I like to keep fit and I'd like to get into weight lifting, wheres our magazine?!?!
Instead there's crappy hypocritical "lose 10 pounds in a week! How to feel confident in your own skin! Look at this size 8 celebrities stretch marks!!"
All in THE SAME BLOODY MAGAZINE.
I think it's a real insult to our intelligence.
They rip appart celebrities diets, fashion sense and weight making everyone feel crappy.
I kid you not the day I stopped reading these pieces of trash was when I read a piece about what a celebrity ate in a day and how they could improve,
A size 8 woman, eating porridge, fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, salad and fish for lunch, and mashed potatoes, lean meat and vegetables and I'm not joking they criticized the mashed potatoes saying they should have been blended cauliflower.

What?!?!?!

Don't get me started on zoo and nuts and the sun.

Where's our topless, impossibly muscley surgically enhanced male models on page 3?

Bah!

user1491572121 Fri 14-Apr-17 14:20:31

Gap in the market OP. Get publishing.

ShatnersWig Fri 14-Apr-17 14:21:17

Nuts and Zoo no longer exist.

Companies publish magazines for profit. If they thought there was a demand, they would do them.

FeckinCrutches Fri 14-Apr-17 14:23:19

I buy women's fitness/running/triathlon magazines every month, they are always next to the men's ones in my shop

FeckinCrutches Fri 14-Apr-17 14:32:00

And Thr Sun doesn't have page 3 models anymore

OfaFrenchmind2 Fri 14-Apr-17 15:23:50

I think you are 8 years too late for righteous indignation, OP.

Sirzy Fri 14-Apr-17 15:27:16

I buy woman's running magazine most months

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 14-Apr-17 15:29:13

here you go

Or try googling health and fitness magazines. Or go to a different shop?

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 14-Apr-17 15:40:08

There used to be a good one called Zest that was healthy lifestyle and exercise, but not in a "Melt 6lb of fat in a week!" type way.

I find it irritating that there is a assumption that women are purely into healthy diets and exercise for losing weight/ fat and getting a bikini body.

I quite like Women's Running, particularly as it feels grounded in realistic demands of normal life. Sometimes I'll get Runners' World which is more masculine/ unisex. They'll do more scientific type articles and can be more aspirational semi pro type articles.

I've also bought Country Walking/ Trail in the past. I reached the "same old, same old" stage over high end kit reviews and felt a bit taunted by glorious mountain views while young DCs were denying me opportunities to get out there myself!

Meekonsandwich Fri 14-Apr-17 15:53:07

I clearly need to get going to a different shop! But supermarkets are a pretty big place to get magazines, why isn't women's running there?

Haha yes I do need to get publishing!!!

I didn't realise nuts and zoo didn't exist any more, not online or anything??
I also didn't realise the sun didn't do page 3 any more,
My faith has been somewhat restored smile

However all those crappy women's gossip magazines need to be piled up and burnt.

araiwa Fri 14-Apr-17 16:00:27

Maybe women should stop buying such trash and maybe theyd stop selling them

Theres quite a few fitness mags aimed at women

Not sure how mens and womens fitness is all that different but ho hum

LadyPW Fri 14-Apr-17 16:02:24

Companies publish magazines for profit. If they thought there was a demand, they would do them.
Exactly. And some women enjoy gossip magazines.... Each to their own

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Apr-17 16:04:22

I think they don't exist in your shop because of simple economics; they will stock stuff that sells. I live in a health-obsessed place and they are stocked here.

I agree that a lot of women`s magazines are shite.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Apr-17 16:06:40

Men's and women's fitness is different. Very importantly. For example, impact is good for staving off osteoporosis. But women hear the 'low impact is good' message meant to save men's joints. Too often the norm for anything is male (and white etc.) and good advice to women is ignored.

scottishdiem Fri 14-Apr-17 16:12:03

Can it be sexist when a magazine aimed at women is bought by women?

As others have pointed it out, its for women. I havent seen a mens section titled as such in a newsagent or supermarket. Lifestyle, IT, Entertainment, Business etc. but not "mens".

BonnieF Fri 14-Apr-17 17:07:44

I agree that so many of the celebrity gossip magazines aimed at women are vacuous, misogynistic trash.

The depressing thing is that they are written, produced, edited, bought and read almost exclusively by women. This baffles me.

RedheadLover Fri 14-Apr-17 17:17:31

The fact that these magazines are produced by women for women just highlights how misogyny is internalised sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now