Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you guys to plan my birthday?

(9 Posts)
lbsjob87 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:30:49

Before we start, this is going to come across as super-entitled but I just want to get some ideas/opinions.

It's my birthday tomorrow, not a big one, just an in between one.
My OH is on nights all week and will be in bed from about 8 till 5.

My mum and dad are taking me out in the evening to a show, so this isn't woe is me, but during the day, I have no plans.

I have one offer - my parents are downsizing and have a plan to visit a sheltered accommodation type place. They have said I'm welcome to tag along if I'm bored, but I'm hoping I won't be that bored....!

I have 2 DCs (7 and 2) and no-one is free to have them (so spa type days aren't an option)and it looks like rain.

So what would you do during the day with 2 young kids that is a bit "special" as it's my birthday, after all?

I quite fancy a whole day watching what I like on telly - something I never get - but not sure my kids would like Breaking Bad or Borden. And there's a limit to how many times I can watch Zootopia.😐😐😐😐

OH has Sunday off (only day he's got for two more weeks) so he had planned to take me shopping - but it's Easter so everywhere is shut!

What would be a nice way to spend the day?

Brighteyes27 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:44:07

Never had a spa day on my birthday or done anything shopping etc without the kids (but we are lucky if we go out without them more than once or maybe twice a year) and eldest is 13 now (and had two big birthdays since having them). Count your blessings and enjoy your birthday. I would maybe go for a walk in the rain with DC's for some fresh air and then spend the day watching some family films you chose not them and have an indoor picnic with treats for them, treats for you get a picnic rug out and have a picnic in the living room conservatory under the table or whatever (somewhere unusual). Just make the best of it and enjoy your day. Have a special alcoholic mummy treat in store for later a cocktail, nice wine, Edinburgh gin or whatever floats your boat. Happy birthday.

elodie2000 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:46:16

Have a 'Birthday Day Out' with your DC!! I know it's not the same as a spa but my DC always treated me to a day out with them on my B'day grin Always to their favourite place, the zoo or for a picnic! When they were little, the zoo/park was the best place for my Birthday!! So it was! Happy times! grin

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 14-Apr-17 09:50:39

Take the kids to a soft play place? You could buy yourself a coffee and a slice of cake and take a book to read. (Depending how independent your littlest one is!)

Go out for lunch with the kids, somewhere there will be something you will all eat, have a small glass of wine and order dessert.

Cinema? Will the youngest sit through a film?

My favourite birthday was my 30th when we went to London Zoo for the day, took a fancy picnic including cake and a candle. It rained most of the day (always does on my birthday!) but it was the best day smile

iklboo Fri 14-Apr-17 09:57:39

Bake your birthday cake or biscuits with them to ice and make lemonade?

Ilovehamabeads Fri 14-Apr-17 09:57:54

All birthday treats for dh and I have involved our dc since they came along. So recently I have celebrated mine with a trip to south lakes zoo, the circus in Blackpool tower (enjoyed that one), blue planet aquarium, and one particularly good year I went to the museums in Liverpool followed by making figures in the lego shop hmm
Most of those are indoors type activities. Anything similar near you? (Not suggesting the lego shop as a day out though!)

lbsjob87 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:37:37

Thanks, some lovely ideas -I would love the LEGO shop myself Hama but the nearest is 80 miles away;)!

Picnic might be the way forward - indoor if raining...... and maybe a GOOD kiddie film, of my choosing. Or if it's not raining after all, we'll have a day out somewhere they suggest!

Hmmm... I might go and drop some hints....... thanks guys.

FruSkogKattOla Fri 14-Apr-17 17:46:40

Maybe your DC would like to see where granny & grandpa might be going to live? So a visit to the GP's potential new home could be fun - and then go out to lunch afterwards.

lbsjob87 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:57:35

I have investigated Fru, the pub nearby does nice lunches, apparently....;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now