Talk

Advanced search

To not know how to use Excel?

(37 Posts)
user1472582572 Thu 13-Apr-17 23:14:09

Apart from knowing how to use Microsoft Excel to make timetables, I don't know how to make formulas etc. I remember using it to make graphs for GCSE Maths but that was a decade ago. How can I learn about Excel and/or get a certificate to put on my CV?

Asmoto Thu 13-Apr-17 23:19:35

Excel didn't exist when I did GCSE maths grin. When it was introduced in my workplace I bought 'Excel for Dummies' which taught me the basics, and I made a point of watching people who knew how to use it and taking notes. I've never felt shy about asking 'how did you get it to do that?' if needed. I doubt I will ever be an expert, but I can get by OK.

peukpokicuzo Thu 13-Apr-17 23:20:12

There's loads of free guidance online. Try googling "teach Yourself excel tutorial"

SwearyInn Thu 13-Apr-17 23:20:17

Here is a good list of some useful formulae

blog.udemy.com/excel-formulas/

Buy a book. Look up stuff online. I have no idea about courses.

I fucking love Excel. I really do. I use it for everything.

MrsMoastyToasty Thu 13-Apr-17 23:21:17

I learned by looking at the help topics

NorfolksGiven Thu 13-Apr-17 23:22:31

I don't either but I can use Word with my eyes shut.

In my last job interview I was like 'Oh yes I am proficient with all MS Office' but tbf I only use Excel for my time sheets grin

Moanyoldcow Thu 13-Apr-17 23:27:23

When you realise Excel is essentially a big calculator it's gets easier. Personally I think it's hard to get 'really' good if you don't use it regularly so identify some areas you could use it frequently and start there.

I'm self-taught and picked up a lot from colleagues and I google if I have something complicated to do.

I'm sufficiently advanced now that my current colleagues think I'm some kind of wizard even though I'd only say I had intermediate skills.

If you can get to grips with the basics you'll have a really useful skill. There are several blogs out there (I think one called Mr Excel) which are great and have useful exercises.

Moanyoldcow Thu 13-Apr-17 23:28:30

Sweary - me too. I find reasons to create spreadsheets for home. My monthly budget is a true work of art blush

Asmoto Thu 13-Apr-17 23:30:38

I don't know if this applies to you, OP, but when my sister was made redundant a couple of years ago, she was able to do free courses through Learn Direct, and one of them included an Excel module - it also covered Powerpoint I think - she got a much better job soon afterwards.

UppityHumpty Thu 13-Apr-17 23:31:03

Vlookup, sumif, and iferror are some of the most useful Excel functions if you analyse and plot a lot of data. Because they can make Excel more interactive.

If you're creating timetables though, do macro/vba training - can help you create interactive timetables that look and feel like a website/app.

TheDisappearingUser Thu 13-Apr-17 23:33:31

I am an excel geek! I have a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts and love pivot tables with slicers!

NorfolksGiven Thu 13-Apr-17 23:39:26

Pivot table and slicer? Is that something to do with food preparation?

Are you on the wrong thread grin

Asmoto Thu 13-Apr-17 23:40:18

I like pivot tables too. I had an Excel geek line manager a few years ago who was obsessed with them, and he gave me the bug!

PerspicaciaTick Thu 13-Apr-17 23:43:36

If you want a qualification to go on your CV, you could try a free course through www.vision2learn.net/courses. I did a couple of courses, they are all online, with a real live tutor to help, mark your work and give your feedback.

I think I did the level 2 IT skills, which covers using Word, Excel, Powerpoint and how the tools can improve productivity in the work place.

BrightonBelleCat Thu 13-Apr-17 23:49:38

Me too I've been winging it for years. No idea how I've managed to get away with it for so long.

SwearyInn Thu 13-Apr-17 23:57:16

Moany - I actually don't know how people get by without it. When I went into labour I wrote a quick macro to plot the time between contractions so I could visually see them becoming more regular. Very useful! I could even multi task - Excel and bouncing on my Swiss ball. I was very proud.

I always trying to find reasons to create spreadsheet. But I get to use them a lot at work too so that helps.

I have no doubt your monthly budget is awseome.

Topseyt Fri 14-Apr-17 02:04:21

Most of us do just wing it, working on a need to know basis.

That is my method. There are tutorials and a good help section, so if I do need to go out of my comfort zone I look it up. I engineer a way forward.

DelphiniumBlue Fri 14-Apr-17 02:30:11

What things do you all use Excel for? I used to use it for accounts, but I'm sure there's loads of other uses, I know I'm not aware of most of the things it can do.

wittyUserNameHere Fri 14-Apr-17 04:41:15

New Boston tutorials are excellent.

thenewboston.com/videos.php?cat=119

If you can use other languages then VBA isn't complicated. It seems that people who like SQL get to grips with VBA quite quickly as they're both very logically written.

Excel is one of those pieces of software which can do absolutely amazing things and is simply down to how much the user knows. It's also one of those where a little knowledge saves hours and hours of time.

milpool Fri 14-Apr-17 05:02:33

OP, are you currently employed? Could your employer pay for some training for you?

I did some LearnDirect courses at my old work, still not sure how I managed to convince my employer they were essential to my job but there you go grin

Oblomov17 Fri 14-Apr-17 05:27:53

I need this.
I can't use pivot tables and presume that is now a basic.

Jenijena Fri 14-Apr-17 05:52:16

I love excel too, but haven't used it regularly in my current job (five years) and my fairly advanced skills are very rusty. Loving a good pivot table here.

icanteven Fri 14-Apr-17 06:14:25

I love a bit of Excel.

You don't have to have an official bit of paper to say you can use it - the important thing is being confident in it yourself.

Take a look on Udemy or Coursera - both platforms are bristling with great courses. You'll get addicted though!

JolieColombe Fri 14-Apr-17 06:17:26

TheDisappearingUser I am jealous of your slicers! I had to bodge a work-around at work as the software we have is not terribly up to date. It was not elegant sad

GaryGilmoresEyes Fri 14-Apr-17 06:20:19

I am doing the European Computer Driving Licence as it covers Word, Excel, Power Point etc. It's a recognised qualification too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now