Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for some good excuses

(26 Posts)
Ghanagirl Thu 13-Apr-17 17:58:40

To ask you to think of good excuse for getting out of having lunch with my cousin.
She's over staying at my mums and I've seen her once and will be seeing her again before she leaves but she wants to have lunch with me in London 2moro.
I don't want to leave kids with husband on a bank holiday plus she annoyed me a bit when we saw her yesterday.
I don't want to fall out so need a good excuse please.

monkeysox Thu 13-Apr-17 18:00:40

You already have plans. Sorry. grin

Steamgirl Thu 13-Apr-17 18:00:47

'Thanks for the lovely invite but I already have plans with dh for tomorrow/the weekend'

Wando1986 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:01:02

"Sorry, something has come up/not really feeling up to it/have to do something for work I can't do later in the weekend"

Ghanagirl Thu 13-Apr-17 18:07:56

I can't say we have plans because I already agreed, I've changed my mind as I'm bit cheesed off with her and as we are going in to London with kids on Saturday I don't really want to spend 2 days on tubes.
She's American and can be really hard work but don't want to fall out as we previously went through a time when we weren't communicating

Trifleorbust Thu 13-Apr-17 18:09:34

You feel ill (migraine/vomiting).

Something has broken (tumble dryer/boiler) and you are waiting in for someone to fix it.

One of the kids needs something urgently (not medical attention).

user1482079332 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:10:22

When I don't want to do something I just say sorry I can't make it, rather than give a long winded excuse which usually gives it away as a lie

LadyPW Thu 13-Apr-17 18:10:28

Husband is p'd off because he'd a surprise outing planned for you!

HecateAntaia Thu 13-Apr-17 18:11:06

just putting it out there 😁 but does it really matter to you if you arent communicating?
it doesnt sound like you like her much. and if your paths rarely cross does it matter if she doesnt talk to you?

LadyPW Thu 13-Apr-17 18:11:12

And you don't want to let him down because he rarely makes an effort (that bit has to sound true surely!)

SabineUndine Thu 13-Apr-17 18:11:42

Say you've got to bring the kids and they'll only eat curry or something she hates.

Trifleorbust Thu 13-Apr-17 18:17:34

I think 'Sorry, I can't make it' for an arranged meeting is rude. I expect an excuse, even when it is an excuse. Only manners! grin

kmc1111 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:27:35

Migraine is perfect. It's an all day issue so no way you could go meet her tomorrow anytime, and no point in her changing plans and coming to you, which she might if you just said you have to be home for something.

Text her early so she can make new plans for her day, and just say you've woken up with an awful migraine and won't be up to seeing her.

Ghanagirl Thu 13-Apr-17 18:27:56

Trifleorbust
I know that's why I'm thinking of excuses, it's a complicated family situation and my mum will also be annoyed if break the arrangement but I'm tired of trying to please family members☹️

Wolfiefan Thu 13-Apr-17 18:29:11

If you don't want to try and please family members then say no in the first place. Rude to cancel at the last minute.

MatildaTheCat Thu 13-Apr-17 18:38:26

Text, 'Sorry but dh has been asked to work so I am in charge of DC who have several complicated arrangements. Pity but it was good to catch up yesterday. Have a safe trip home.'

Steamgirl Thu 13-Apr-17 19:22:06

Ah, if you already agreed that's different. You need a good excuse ... diahorrea is generally an unwelcome dining companion.

Reow Thu 13-Apr-17 19:23:52

You have the runny shits

AlternativeTentacle Thu 13-Apr-17 19:25:28

Yes this is where the shits can come in useful. Early doors text apologising as you have been up half the night and are going back to bed (and turning your phone off).

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 13-Apr-17 19:27:24

I think having the shits is far too obvious an excuse!

Just say DH has to work and you need to take the kids to a party.

Reow Thu 13-Apr-17 19:27:37

To be fair I very often do have the shits with my chronically misbehaving arse, so it is very believable if that's my reason for not going to something. Lucky me grin

Reow Thu 13-Apr-17 19:28:30

Take a couple of senakot and then it won't be a lie!

Reow Thu 13-Apr-17 19:29:35

Then phone her while you're on the toilet so she gets the sound effects.

Sorry, I'm on the bank hol wine. Do it though!

thehousewife Thu 13-Apr-17 19:33:16

You've tripped and twisted your ankle!!

Questioningeverything Thu 13-Apr-17 19:54:48

Migraine. I suffer with them and stress brings them on so perfect excuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now