Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think I can't do this !!

(12 Posts)
4seasons Thu 13-Apr-17 14:37:00

Have an ultrasound coming up next week. Have just received instructions in the post. No food only clear liquids after 8am..... will be famished but doable. Told to drink 1 litre of water before the ultrasound to ensure my bladder is full. I have a pelvic floor which is pathetic at the best of times , in spite of all the exercises . I honestly think that if I drink a litre of water I will wet myself before or during the scan ! I shall be mortified if this happens. I can't do it .... I just can't. Help !

saoirse31 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:49:20

Ring them and explain. V common I'd think. Maybe u can get there early, drink it down right before scan.

wowfudge Thu 13-Apr-17 14:53:29

I've had this. They do the scan with full bladder first and let you go to the loo before they do the rest of the test. The sonographer will be a woman, they'll be used to this.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 13-Apr-17 14:54:21

I have a shocking inabilty to hold much in my bladder but when I've had scans and had to drink a lot of fluid I'm ok.

I always get there early, sit down and drink steadily until I'm called in, I know I'm not going to pee myself and mentally I'm 'in the zone' of not wetting myself.

Mind over matter and all that.

MammaTJ Thu 13-Apr-17 14:56:53

The sonographer will be a woman

Not necessarily!

Yes, get there early, drink your drink then.

RachelRagged Thu 13-Apr-17 14:59:53

Oh that's taken me right back .
Well remember getting a bus to have a scan with DD and all I could think of was "I need the loo" . I did hold out grin

I also remember the lovliness of seeing the unborn there on the screen . You have 3D ones now don't you . and even 4D ?

antprint Thu 13-Apr-17 15:02:28

Just stay focused on the reason for the scan. I've had to do this lots of times due to various gynae issues, it's not pleasant but if you don't drink enough water they won't be able to see the image properly. The alternative is to not get the scan and not being able to have whatever issue you have dealt with.

Personally I wouldn't recommend drinking it just before the scan - it takes me about an hour to drink the right amount as I need to take breaks otherwise I'd feel sick for drinking so much at once. I drink about half at home and then bring a bottle to drink slowly on the journey. We're told to drink 8 mugs of water, which I'm sure is more than a litre!

BellyBean Thu 13-Apr-17 15:03:16

I had the fun where they decided my bladder was too full, they asked me to empty it, but only partially. Managed but was surprised I had the control!

Doublevodkaredbull Thu 13-Apr-17 15:53:58

I had an early pregnancy scan and arrived with full bladder. Only one sonographer working, they were running three hours late (I was repeatedly told only 5 more minutes but it carried on).

I managed not to pee myself somehow and my pelvic floor is shot to shit. You'll be ok.

BeautyQueenFromMars Thu 13-Apr-17 15:58:33

Also, wear an old-fashioned night time sanitary towel or a high absorbancy Tena lady, just to catch any leaks. Which won't happen till you're allowed to go to the loo and have made it to the cubicle but not yet dropped your pants. Or so I've heard blush.

8misskitty8 Thu 13-Apr-17 16:31:09

Whatever you do, do not drink fruit juice instead of the water.
I loathe water so drank appletiser, a whole bottle before a scan for an ovarian cyst. By the time the scan was over I was sweating profusely and as soon as I got to the toilet after , well you can imagine the poonami !
Came out same way as it went in.

4seasons Thu 13-Apr-17 18:41:47

Thanks people for your helpful ideas. Think I'll practise this weekend while a loo is close at hand. I totally understand being able to " hold it in " until you get to a loo then " letting go " before getting my pants down . Wish I didn't understand but I do .. !!! As for " mind over matter "..... not a chance !! I wish the scan was for a baby ( those years are long gone )..,..unfortunately I am anxious about what it might show up and also about leaving a puddle on the floor !!! Hoping it's " just " gall stones or something similar. Have had a negative CA 125 (?) blood test so hopefully not anything nastier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now