Talk

Advanced search

Weird job interview?

(63 Posts)
pineapplepenny Thu 13-Apr-17 12:04:03

I went for an interview on Monday. It was a panel of three. One of the panel was the person l'd be job sharing with. The same role, same hours - same wages. The two main interviewers asked relevant questions and were extremely 'nice'
Anyway, the job sharing interviewer was gruff and appeared to not want to be there. All the panel obviously had questions , they then asked if she did. She noticed my youngest daughter is still of primary school age- she asked : " What will you do if she gets sick?"
I explained l'd obviously need to take care of her , alternating with my DH. She isn't very tiny, and l explained by her age they tend to have built up more immunity.
Anyway, l was then told the role really depended on personality and how the two 'job sharers' would get on?confused
This person has only been doing the job 5 months , and the other two actual managers seemed quite in awe of her.
Am l missing something? I don't think she should have been 'interviewing' me. My credentials are not up for her scrutiny are they, if she liked me?
I just found the whole thing unusual.smile
If this is normal ( and l've not come across it ) l'd be happy to be corrected!

Purplepicnic Thu 13-Apr-17 12:15:44

I would imagine the final decision is the managers but they probably wanted her there to make sure you would get on OK and get her opinion. I don't think that's unreasonable. How much sway her opinion will hold is impossible to say.

She should not have asked you about childcare though.

TheHeartOfTeFiti Thu 13-Apr-17 12:17:35

I'd feed back how strange you found the process/ her if you don't get the job.

TheHeartOfTeFiti Thu 13-Apr-17 12:18:49

I've been interviewed sort of like this before where you went me meet the other two members of the very small team prior to interview. Not sure if they had any say though.

Chchchchangeabout Thu 13-Apr-17 12:20:52

I think the co-sharer being involved is sensible and wouldn't find that odd. The questions about childcare however are not right and shouldn't be asked at interview.

Dizzy199 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:21:38

Isn't the whole point of job share that when one is there the other isn't? So why would it matter if you get on or not, surely you won't see each other? confused

UppityHumpty Thu 13-Apr-17 12:21:38

Job shares are only successful when the two people get a long and get work together. So yes she definitely should be at the interview.

As for them being 'in awe' of her. That's open to interpretation. They wouldn't be wanting her to job-share if she was able to handle the workload by herself right?

Batgirlspants Thu 13-Apr-17 12:23:36

I thought they could ask about child care/carer responsibilities as long as thry asked all candidates. Is that wrong?

She doesn't sound ideal to job share with op.

happypoobum Thu 13-Apr-17 12:26:15

I think it's out of order to ask about the childcare - unless you really think she would have asked a man with a primary school aged child the same question?

pineapplepenny Thu 13-Apr-17 12:28:55

They were in awe , as she really wasn't very personable. They started to use nervous laughter to cover her. Something this job really relies on is personality. We'd be working together sometimes - definitely together on a Friday. She doesn't have children- and is the past the age that might happen.
If it is normal, then finesmile
I just didn't think it fair that she'd have an opinion. Maybe they didn't ask? I don't know? confused

Floggingmolly Thu 13-Apr-17 12:29:43

I think it sounds extremely odd. In what sense is it a job share; both of you doing back to back shifts (in which case you don't need her "approval" at all), or is her job going to be divided in half with both of you working together?
If she seemed gruff and unfriendly it may well be something foisted upon her by senior management, in which case she could be a complete nightmare to work alongside.

TheEmmaDilemma Thu 13-Apr-17 12:29:59

I always use a team member on an interview and gauge thier opinion of the person and team fit.

So I wouldn't say unusual, no.

pineapplepenny Thu 13-Apr-17 12:31:30

I had a feeling she wanted someone older- my gut feeling is she mentioned the childcare thing to make the managers think...

Floggingmolly Thu 13-Apr-17 12:32:10

Presumably they're not gauche enough to be an actual liability in the interview though, Emma?!

Elphame Thu 13-Apr-17 12:33:43

You would have grounds to complain about the childcare question.

They would have to show that they had asked it of any male applicants too or you could well have them on sex discrimination. There have been cases where companies have had to pay compensation in similar cases.

pineapplepenny Thu 13-Apr-17 12:33:51

Some days we'd be together- and definitely on a Friday. They showed me the rota.
As l've been typing l've just received the ' impressed with application/ keeping you on file' rejection! grin

Floggingmolly Thu 13-Apr-17 12:35:30

You've dodged a bullet, op!

pineapplepenny Thu 13-Apr-17 12:38:45

Flogging l'm starting to think that way too! smile

Emphasise Thu 13-Apr-17 12:40:04

I think it's useful to have here there because to make job shares work you do need to get along, even if you rarely see each other you need to communicate well.

Childcare question was outrageous though and if you're minded to make them squirm you could tell them so.

It would have been nice to be offered, so you could turn it down, but surely you wouldn't have accepted the job?!

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 13-Apr-17 12:44:44

I'd call them to make a complaint about the childcare question. I'm not sure how you take it further but it's deeply unfair.

QuiteUnfitBit Thu 13-Apr-17 12:45:38

Maybe she had a friend she wanted to get the job. hmm

UppityHumpty Thu 13-Apr-17 12:48:53

They probably gave the job to a young man or woman. And after the probationary period the wonan might find herself in a reduced role or redundant.

HellonHeels Thu 13-Apr-17 12:49:10

I agree the childcare question is totally out of order. But why did they even know about your family circumstances? That's certainly not something I'd put in a job application.

Edballsisoneniftydancer Thu 13-Apr-17 12:49:22

They wouldn't be wanting her to job-share if she was able to handle the workload by herself right?

This is a bit of a weird comment imho, Humpty The request to go for a job share might have come from her and there could be all sorts of reasons for her wanting that. I hardly think that advertising for a job share partner is a reflection on her (necessarily).

I agree though, that the question should not have been asked.

Onwards and upwards penny

pineapplepenny Thu 13-Apr-17 12:49:37

I've just remembered. A really stupid section of the interview was me rambling on about the local childcare available in school holidays! So, it was definitely something she was pondering on. A gap was left for me to mumble on...
No, l wouldn't have taken it. I can't deal with anymore charmless people! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now