Talk

Advanced search

Fractured bone in foot and holiday.

(22 Posts)
littleme2017 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:05:14

Not so much an AIBU more of a WWYD.

Silly old clumsy me tripped and went over on my foot last week awkwardly and managed to fracture my fifth metatarsal. Immense, instant pain.

I've been to the hospital fracture clinic who xrayed me, fitted me with a moon boot and signed me off work for at least five weeks. I've also got a walking stick and am on co-codamol. The consultant has said best case scenario five weeks to heal but could be possibly 12-16 weeks.

In due another appointment at the hospital in 5 weeks on the Monday. I'm due to be going to Portugal on that Friday. Consultant said he would be happy for me to fly however I would need to wear trainers at least and pack my boot (not sure if he told me this because its what I wanted to hear)

I'm just wondering whether I should go ahead with the hol or rule myself out. Its gonna be a girls holiday with sun, shops and plenty of cocktails. My concern is Im unsteady on my feet anyhow due to dyspraxia and if I go over again I might set myself back. I dont want to wind up in a & e in a strange place (I've already fell down the stairs once this week and stumbled a bit since my injury)

I have not yet got insurance that was on my list of things to do.

I'd ideally like to make a decision on this asap so what do you think?

bobsleighteam Thu 13-Apr-17 09:09:56

I think you'll be fine in five weeks you should be walking perfectly well. You may need to walk with the boot but not limp or need a stick. I broke five bones in my foot two days before a family holiday and still went. No swimming but didn't stop most other things.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 13-Apr-17 09:15:21

I broke my second metatarsal about 16 months ago and had a boot too, I was off work for 8 weeks, there was no way I could've got my foot into a trainer and let's face it, airplanes seats are tiny and your foot is going to be in danger of being trodden on.

If I was in your surgical shoewink I'd cancel. There's going to be walking, boozing and you're going to be knackered oiking yourself around on crutches or a walking stick.

It's a no from me, sorry to say sad.

TrickyD Thu 13-Apr-17 09:49:47

If you haven't got insurance already, you will find it difficult or even impossible to get it now. You are required to declare any pre-existing condition, which includes your fractured foot, and will either be refused insurance or be asked to pay extra to have anything related to your foot covered.
Or you can not declare it and have no cover for your foot at all and potentially massive bills even with a EHIC card .

LIZS Thu 13-Apr-17 09:53:04

You will lose the money if you don't go, insurance won't cover cancellation due to a pre existing condition or any complications while abroad. Will you not be able to rest on a sunbed much of the time?

muttrat Thu 13-Apr-17 09:53:09

I broke my foot, also had a boot and we t in holiday the next day. No way was I missing it. We didn't fly though.

muttrat Thu 13-Apr-17 09:53:56

Was easier than being at home as I could veg by the pool all day. Was the most relaxing holiday I've ever had!

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 13-Apr-17 09:55:53

Insurance won't cover you for this now. If you don't go be prepared to lose your money.

Dizzy199 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:59:46

A couple of things to consider are that insurance you buy now is very unlikely to cover anything associated with the broken foot, including falling over and hurting it more.

How would work feel about you going away while signed off? Im not allowed to leave my house while sick without prior agreement from work.

littleme2017 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:19:42

It will be only the flights I lose which weren't expensive. We were due to be staying at a family friends house and so, didn't incur any accommodation charges.

It did cross my mind about struggling to get insurance now and I definitely wouldn't travel without insurance due to asthma also.

I think I'd rather cancel and err on the side of caution rather than go before I'm fully fit and risk something happening.

muttrat Thu 13-Apr-17 10:24:40

5 weeks?I would definitely go. What does your consultant recommend?

LIZS Thu 13-Apr-17 10:25:36

If you cancel flights you should get the tax back anyway.

shirleycartersaidso Thu 13-Apr-17 10:30:07

I'd absolutely go. Get the airport assistance buggy if you need it.

beansonbread Thu 13-Apr-17 10:32:32

I broke my foot the day before I went on holiday. The fracture clinic were happy for me to still go as long as I had my moon boot and rested as much as I could. As I flew the day after the injury, I wasn't allowed to walk about on it but 5 weeks in, this wouldn't have been a problem. I'm a primary school teacher and even taught with my boot on for 5 weeks - no days off required. You learn to adapt.
Go and enjoy your holiday would be my advice.

Foldedtshirt Thu 13-Apr-17 10:33:36

5 weeks? Definitely go. You don't have to do the boozing and traipsing around.

littleme2017 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:36:05

muttrat - the consultant said that I should be able to go provided I wear trainers and pack my boot. He didn't seem keen on me doing a lot of walking etc. He also stated that while most heal within five weeks however it can take over 12 weeks. Also stated that no point xraying again before the 5 weeks as won't be much, if any, change and not to be surprised if after 5 weeks, the gap is still showing in the x ray.

DoctorDonnaNoble Thu 13-Apr-17 10:56:08

I broke my 5th metatarsal just before going to Morocco. I went and got some very strange looks in Marrakesh.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 13-Apr-17 11:06:56

How would work feel about you going away while signed off? Im not allowed to leave my house while sick without prior agreement from work.

How is that even legal hmm

muttrat Thu 13-Apr-17 11:12:20

Mine was broken on three places and I had the boot for 11 weeks. It healed really well though. I did do some walking with crutches.

NabobsFromNobHill Thu 13-Apr-17 11:16:57

* Im not allowed to leave my house while sick without prior agreement from work*

Nonsense. Your job might say this but they can't enforce it.

Dizzy199 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:16:15

It's in the staff handbook. I've always felt it's out of order, but a girl suffering from depression and signed off was sacked while sick as she was seen repeatedly at the gym and the beach by colleagues and line manager. (Having suffered from depression myself and been advised to exercise and get plenty of sun/vit D as part of the treatment I was absolutely appalled)

DoctorDonnaNoble Thu 13-Apr-17 14:44:58

Just realised that I should have said I was never signed off with mine. Had two days off then back to work in plaster for a few weeks and then on to moon boot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now