Talk

Advanced search

To do absolutely nothing all day?

(42 Posts)
Avioleta Thu 13-Apr-17 08:07:23

I'm not at work today and I took DCs to their dad's for a few days yesterday. I have nothing planned for today. What I would really like to do is have a quick shower and put on some clean PJs and then just MN and watch Mad Men on Netflix all day. However, I have my mum's voice in my head telling me that this is a terribly slovenly thing to do and that my time would be far better spent catching up with chores and perhaps going for a brisk walk to get 'out and about'. AIBU?

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 13-Apr-17 08:09:25

Ach, go on.
I did that last weekend. DH had taken the children on a camping trip and I just loafed around.
Had a leisurely bath, watched too much tv, enjoyed the sunshine.
I sure felt better for it.

Snap8TheCat Thu 13-Apr-17 08:09:49

Not at all! Sounds wonderful! Enjoy :-)

Lottapianos Thu 13-Apr-17 08:10:44

I suffer from the same nagging voice telling me what i 'should' be doing. I'm slowly getting better at telling it to naff off and enjoying the odd day of doing sod all. You can do it too! Enjoy your Netflix and Mad Men - sounds marvellous

n0ne Thu 13-Apr-17 08:12:16

Occasionally doing absolutely nothing is essential for mental well-being, imo. Recharge your batteries, turn off your brain. Enjoy!

Strummerville Thu 13-Apr-17 08:13:06

YANBU, sounds blissful. That is literally what I do when I'm home alone with nowhere to be. Hasn't happened for ages though sad

skerrywind Thu 13-Apr-17 08:17:15

Treat yourself, in whatever form that takes you.

For me a day on the sofa sound very boring, I would be off to a gym or yoga class, a trip to a garden centre, plant up a few pots, in the garden. treat myself to some nice food, a walk into the woods to take some photographs etc.

But them I thrive on being busy.

seven201 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:18:49

Enjoy your lazy day

ClemHFandango Thu 13-Apr-17 08:19:40

I'm a teacher on my Easter holidays. This is pretty much what I've been doing for the past week and a half. Minus the clean pyjamas.

Eminado Thu 13-Apr-17 08:21:27

I would KILL for a day with no plans and no DC. I honestly would.

Do whatever the fuck you want to with precious "golden time".

AlternativeTentacle Thu 13-Apr-17 08:21:41

Just take a day off already.

Avioleta Thu 13-Apr-17 08:23:38

I had a fraught day yesterday. I went to a former colleague's funeral which was not only emotionally draining but necessitated an hour's drive each way in an unfamiliar hire car as mine was in the garage. Then I had to drive my DCs to their dad's which was a two and a half hour round trip. And then I had to pick up my car from the garage and drive it home. This should only have been a 20 minutes but I got stuck in rush hour traffic and there was an accident on the dual carriageway so it took over an hour.

Karanka Thu 13-Apr-17 08:30:43

I had a fraught day yesterday.

Definitely take the day off, you don't need an excuse.

In your position I would be watching the Marvel films rather than Mad Men, but tom-ay-toes/tomatoes ;)

Penfold007 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:31:33

Get in that shower, put on the clean PJs and put your feet up. Invest a day in you and your wellbeing brew.

KitKats28 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:32:53

Why do you need to justify it? Surely the best part of being grown up is the ability to do as you like sometimes.

mellysam Thu 13-Apr-17 08:33:59

Mad Men is great, enjoy!

chocolateworshipper Thu 13-Apr-17 08:34:10

I am secretly your fairy Godmother, and I grant you your wish - you shall have a lazy day today and do absolutely nothing that your mother would approve of.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:34:51

I had a day off yesterday. I went to do the Easter Bunny run, caught up on a piece of work that needed doing and then read LOTS of MN.

Definitely give yourself permission to do nothing!

littlefrog3 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:36:08

I have lost count of the amount of times that I do naff-all for the entire day.

Go for it girl! grin

Waitingonasmile Thu 13-Apr-17 08:36:10

Have a well deserved peaceful day and don't feel guilty at all. I hope you have a lovely day flowers.

skerrywind Thu 13-Apr-17 08:37:18

Yes, no need to justify.
A large part of my week is taken up with leisure pursuits. Suits me just fine.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Thu 13-Apr-17 08:37:38

I have at least one day a week when I do this. It's essential to my continued MH stability.

Yesterday I cleaned and scrubbed the entire house and hosted a sleepover for five 13yo girls. Supervised them making pizzas and cleaned the kitchen at 9pm. Took the dog and three little ones (not all mine) out for a long afternoon trek. I am pooped.

Other than making sure the visiting girls have some breakfast and waving them off, I intend to to stay in bed watching tv all day.

Enjoy it!

Avioleta Thu 13-Apr-17 08:38:11

Surely the best part of being grown up is the ability to do as you like sometimes.

I know, I know. But I do feel guilty. Not sure why. Probably left over from my childhood. My mum would never, ever have done this. She was always up early, makeup on and out 'doing' even if she wasn't at work.

Avioleta Thu 13-Apr-17 08:38:58

I am going to do it though. Into the shower in a mo and then it's Mad Men all the way!

ChunkyHare Thu 13-Apr-17 08:39:23

Ignore your Mother's voice in your head. You are an adult and you get to choose how to spend your day.

Netflix sounds like a very good way to spend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now