Talk

Advanced search

Swearing in front of the kids

(19 Posts)
sktl543 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:49:35

DH has somewhat of a dirty mouth, but yesterday he crossed the line. Whilst we were talking near DS4 and DD6 he said something to the extent of "F**k that". I don't know if they heard it (neither seemed to react much) but I don't want him swearing in front of our children... But when I asked him to not curse near the kids he blew me off and said it wasn't a big deal and that I should "just tell them not to say it". Am I being unreasonable here in asking that he not curse near our kids?

BaldricksTrousers Wed 12-Apr-17 23:09:35

I curse like a sailor and sometimes forget in front of DD. But I do try to avoid it. Sometimes DH forgets too and I will remind him not to in front of DD, and he'll apologise. It's not U to let one fly every now and then, even an F bomb, but his reaction was a bit crap tbh.

Mrsknackered Wed 12-Apr-17 23:11:33

Meh. I think there's bigger fish to fry. There is most definitely a line but an occasional f word? I wouldn't sweat it.

supermoon100 Wed 12-Apr-17 23:27:12

I think it's wrong. Grownups are meant to be role models

chastenedButStillSmiling Wed 12-Apr-17 23:41:23

Well if they hear it, they're likely to repeat it and probably in inappropriate settings.

Asking them not to say the words won't mean they don't.

There are lots of threads on here about how parents are unimpressed with potty mouth little ones teaching their kids unpleasant words, and those threads are rarely sympathetic to the parents of the swearing kids.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Wed 12-Apr-17 23:47:40

I can't abide swearing and certainly not in front of children. Adults are supposed to lead by example and children repeat what they hear. There are millions of words that can be used, no need to swear.

Saltandsauce Wed 12-Apr-17 23:57:02

TBH I swear like a trooper! It's in my every day language, I can't help it!
My kids know not to though, as it's something adults can do, but not kids. I'm not daft though, my eldest is a teenager, and I'm pretty sure that with their pals, they do swear. But they know never to swear in front of me or any other adult. It's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things though! wink

Darla21 Thu 13-Apr-17 01:00:57

I can't stand swearing and it's not allowed in my house.

Haggisfish Thu 13-Apr-17 01:01:46

I swear like a trooper but not in front of my kids.

BillyButtfuck Thu 13-Apr-17 01:16:43

My twin boys have just turned 1 and we are trying to stop swearing in front of them as they have started picking up all sorts of odd words which I use a lot.

Mislou Thu 13-Apr-17 01:39:27

My DP has said the same and I've been telling him not to since I was pregnant. I didn't want swearing in front of DD but he can't seem to manage it. . I've given up now and luckily It hasn't made DD become sweary - she understands that they're words you shouldn't say.

pinkiepie1 Thu 13-Apr-17 01:48:52

I've cut down on my swearing, changed things to sugar, fudge, ect.
But was driving with dd and some arsehole nearly hit us so shouted every swear word I could think of. (pretty sure i made some new ones up too) I realised I'd said all this in front of a 3 year old and muttered shit under my breath. Out of everything I said she copied that.
I did explain that its a very naughty word and that we shouldn't say it, which she agreed, until we walked into my parents and she treated my parents with 'Mummy said shit in the car!!! Then walked away to play with my dad. That was few months ago and I haven't heard her say it again, so maybe she just wanted to get me in trouble with my parents lol.
But I hate kids swearing and don't think I swore until I hit 18, I know I was in my 20's before I swore in front of my dad.

pinkiepie1 Thu 13-Apr-17 01:49:41

Greeted* even

FeralBeryl Thu 13-Apr-17 01:57:47

I'm bad for this blush
It's totally unintentional but the odd ones slip out. I've not heard any of the DCs repeating.
I dropped eggs the other day and yelped SHIT. DD2 (6) calmly turned to the baby and said 'we don't say that word, it's naughty and mummy is very very badly'

Trifleorbust Thu 13-Apr-17 07:31:23

I swear a lot but I won't swear in front of my children. I teach, so I know I can compartmentalise.

thethoughtfox Thu 13-Apr-17 08:38:49

I am very sweary but don't swear in front of dd. It's about self-control to begin with then you get into the habit of not swearing around them. However, it can excused if it's an exclamation if you have a fright/ injury etc.

Thegiantofillinois Thu 13-Apr-17 08:47:47

I swear a bit. Dh is much worse and just says 'sorry' when I pull him, but it's too late. I mange to cope in work without swearing (teacher), but struggle at home. I think there's a difference between 'for Fuchs sake' or 'fuckibg bell' and 'tuck off' or 'knobhead/bitch' etc. Both dc know some words and m not to use them. To be honest, seeing as we live in an area where you hear little kids in the park swearing at each other, I'd rather they knew the words were, so if need be, they can hold their own.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 13-Apr-17 08:51:01

My DD is 5, DHs brother lives with us and his language is awful, almost every other word is 'fuck', I keep telling him to stop swearing so much, DH and I do swear but nowhere near the amount BIL does. DD just tends to glare at him and say "Stop saying that! You'll encourage ME to say it!" So at least she knows they're bad words and so far I haven't heard her use them and her teacher has never mentioned whether she's used them at school or not.

Beadoren Thu 13-Apr-17 08:59:22

I swear but not infront of my kids. although I have been known to mutter 'For fucks sake' under my breath a lot

Swearing is nasty and vulgar and slatternly. A million Perfect Patricias on here will tell you they never swear and that somehow makes them a better person.

I swear because I am a SAHM and my life generally consists of playgroup and nursery rhymes and lovely Emma Dodd books and trips down to the duck pond skipping idyllically through the village roads. Generally I also try to keep my calm and say things like "oh no darling, we don't do that, mummy doesn't like it when you do that".

If I couldn't drop the occasional f-bomb when they are out of ear sight I think I might actually explode.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now