Talk

Advanced search

Free school meals in holidays

(14 Posts)
edwinbear Wed 12-Apr-17 22:48:40

I've just watched a news report explaining how children in receipt of free school meals sometimes go hungry in the holidays because of course their parents don't get extra money to help. We don't have that much extra cash since I lost my job last year but can I help feed these Kids somehow?

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:50:22

Staff at the school i work at make up linches in the school holidays and hand them out at the local estate. Ask around your local area/

wrinkleseverywhere Wed 12-Apr-17 22:57:47

I try & donate more to food banks in the school holidays & I also include multi packs of crisps & biscuit bars.

edwinbear Wed 12-Apr-17 23:02:47

How can I donate to food banks? Should I do it via the boxes at supermarkets or would they prefer cash donations?

UtterBankers Wed 12-Apr-17 23:09:12

One or two churches I know spotted this problem in their areas and run a family lunch club during school holidays. There might be one in your area that would appreciate some support.

NannyR Wed 12-Apr-17 23:19:26

this charity helps provide holiday lunches - they would probably appreciate volunteers or donations.
There are also lots of local projects. Several churches in our city are planning to get together this summer to take turns in providing lunches throughout the big summer holidays.

SecretNortherner Wed 12-Apr-17 23:22:00

If you leave food at the supermarket donation boxes, they will often double the amount of meals provided. Maybe call the local food bank, they may prefer cash so they can buy the stuff they need as opposed to ending up with 500 cans of tuna, but no milk.

AdoraBell Wed 12-Apr-17 23:29:07

I'm sure they'd appreciate cash or physical donation equally. I can't get a food bank so donate to Trussel Trust via their website.

Can you ask the local school if they do something like MichealAngel0 said?

Babyroobs Wed 12-Apr-17 23:31:22

I've seen a post on mn in the past couple of days urging people to sign a petition to provide free sanitary products for girls on fsm.
It really made me think that also this is something that perhaps isn't donated enough to food banks. I put a 30 pack in our local ASDA foodbank collection this trolley this week and did notice they were specifically asking for sanitary products.

GottaCatchEmAll137 Wed 12-Apr-17 23:34:14

Hi OP. Many schools in disadvantaged areas will make provisions for pupils over the holidays in terms of enrichment and extracurricular activities. I would contact local schools, clubs and services in these areas and ask how you can help support them in this way.

AdoraBell Wed 12-Apr-17 23:36:59

Thanks for that link Nanny, nearest one is over 15 miles from me so that'll be another financial donation.

CantChoose Thu 13-Apr-17 00:08:30

Does anyone know if you can order an online shop to a food Bank? I've tried looking online but haven't found much info. I always used to buy bits for the collection in store but rarely go in now.

HeyCat Thu 13-Apr-17 00:37:32

I've done an online shop for a food bank once (wanted to donate in my home area but hadn't been there for years). Just check when they'll have a volunteer there to receive it.

NannyR Thu 13-Apr-17 08:28:11

ocado allow you to make a donation to a food bank as part of your online shop which they then match.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now