Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if my coil has moved?

(11 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:53:13

I had the mirena fitted just over a year ago. All has gone well. Very light sporadic spotting every few months, but that's it.

A few days ago I started getting that old familiar period pain. I had 1 day of a normal period. Bleeding now stopped but pain is gradually worsening. It's very similar to the severe period pain I used to get in my twenties. A dull, dragging, cramping pain.

Can this happen from time to time with the coil? Or might it be a sign something is up?

Next available GP appt is middle of may.....

Ollivander84 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:53:44

Have you checked the strings?

Bellyrub1980 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:55:01

Annoyingly, the GP who fitted it cut the strings so short that I've never been able to feel them.

FanaticalFox Wed 12-Apr-17 21:57:25

Just phone up on the day to get an emergency GP appt. Its not like its not important.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:58:24

To be honest when this pain first started I wondered if I had a UTI... but then my period started and I realised it must be period pain. But the bleeding only lasted a day.... the pain continues and definitely not a UTI.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:02:07

So this isn't something that happens with the coil every now and then? feels wrong using an emergency appointment? At the moment I'm taking cocodamol and ibuprofen which is helping and I can still work.

The only other symptom is that I'm really really irritable. Like my old PMT personality is creeping back! Not experienced this feeling for years!!!

Rainydayspending Wed 12-Apr-17 22:03:39

Mine moved (it hadn't done any harm, but was potentially not reliable as it appeared to be being "ejected" apparently. Get it checked asap.

Lagirafe Wed 12-Apr-17 22:04:34

I would see GP urgently tomo.

Is pain more on one side? I recall being told the coil doesn't prevent ectopic pregnancy but can't remember 100%.

Makemineacabsauv Wed 12-Apr-17 22:06:01

Mine moved and got 'lost'! Had to go in for a scan so they could find it and get it out!

Bellyrub1980 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:14:23

Pain is very central over my lower abdomen and feels exactly like period pain, only without the actual period (now, anyway). Wouldnt eptopic pregnancy be much more agonising debilitatingly painful? I can still do everything with painkillers. I'm terrible with pain and have an embarrassingly low pain threshold so I'm assuming it's not as painful as I am perceiving it to be!!

If I remember rightly, pre the pill (which I had been taking for a million years prior to my pregnancy) I'd normally get the pain for a few days, then I'd bleed, then the pain would subside after about 24hrs and the bleeding would continue for another 5/6 days.

I really hoped someone e would say 'oh yes that will happen from time to time' .... bloody hate going to the doctor!!

Ollivander84 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:18:55

Mine does do it occasionally, but it's mainly ovulation pain for me - I have a copper coil

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now