Advanced search

To be p'eed off

(58 Posts)
Andysgirl15 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:47:01

I'll try and make this as short as possible.

Anyway for the last 6/7 month me and OH have had groups of teenagers hanging outside our property every night and I mean every night. I wouldn't mind usually but there are anything from 6-20 of them and they are really noisy. We live in a maisonette which is accessed by outside steps which are quite 'hidden' but they are also at the side of a shop which the teenagers love as they can climb onto the roof of it. They sit there smoking, taking drugs, ahem having Sex, drinking, plotting to beat people up and the list goes on. My DD bedroom backs onto the steps and she's only 2 but she likes to stand on her bed and look out the window which is where I'm assuming she picked up spitting from, watching them. She's learnt swear words from them and I know she can hear them as me and DP can. I've tried being nasty and nice, honestly the last time I was nice they threw eggs at my windows, they threw a full can of pop at my door 2 seconds after I shut it and at the time I was 39 weeks pregnant with DS, they have even thrown glass bottles at my windows.

I really am at my wits end, I called the council and fuck all was done, police the same. All the council did was install a camera about 2 football field sizes away from my house like that is going to catch anything, I've applied to move but was put in the lowest band so I'm stuck here for years. Me and OH work hard to provide a decent life for our children and we have to put up with this. I feel really intimidated, I won't go out without DP and DD can't play in the garden as I'm frightened they will throw something that could seriously injure her. There must be something else i can do??? Legally or by myself

I really need some insight here

SparkleGoldGlitter Wed 12-Apr-17 17:53:58

Do the parents of these little sods not wonder what they are up to, my mind boggles. Mind due I doubt the parents of children that behave that way really care

Could you afford a small camera to put In your window?

Call the police every time they are outside? It's anti social behaviour surely? Maybe calling them everytime they will eventually do something

Same with the council keep reporting, don't be fobbed off

I hope someone can come along and offer you advice as you bloody well should be able to leave your house and have your dd play in the garden

disappearingfish Wed 12-Apr-17 17:55:57

Try one of those wasp devices?

SheSaidHeSaid Wed 12-Apr-17 17:56:58

I'd call the police every time they're there doing something they shouldn't be in the hopes they swing by more often and make it so the kids don't want to be there any more. I do appreciate it depends on your local police though and how free they are but mine were really helpful when we had an awful student house in my road once as they did make regular visits to break up out of control parties and gatherings.

disappearingfish Wed 12-Apr-17 17:57:39

Sorry blush mosquito

FanaticalFox Wed 12-Apr-17 18:08:16

Wow that moquito thing is interesting. What does it actually do? Is it an alarm?

SantinoRice Wed 12-Apr-17 18:10:00

The mosquito things look good but are quite expensive & might upset your 2yo.

Could you put something sticky / gross on the roof where they sit?

glenthebattleostrich Wed 12-Apr-17 18:13:44

I'd get a water pistol and squirt them every time they are doing something they shouldn't. It works on cats and they are bloody irritating.

Hidingtonothing Wed 12-Apr-17 18:14:28

Yes I've heard of those mosquito things working on groups of teenagers congregating outside shops. They emit a tone which is only audible to some people, most usually teenagers, something to do with them picking up different frequencies than children and adults. Can't pretend to understand the science behind them but there's definitely reports they can work.

SquinkiesRule Wed 12-Apr-17 18:16:34

Aim a camera at the roof and tell them you are filming them.
The mosquito works. Ds 2 said lots of his high school friends had it as a ring tone as the teachers couldn't hear it. It doesn't have to be on continuously.

SquinkiesRule Wed 12-Apr-17 18:16:56

A super soaker water gun might work too.

4yoniD Wed 12-Apr-17 18:18:30

Could you play loud classical music on a stereo outside?

ParadiseCity Wed 12-Apr-17 18:19:01

Keep contacting the police, you should have a local neighbourhood person.

nannyplumandkingthistle Wed 12-Apr-17 18:20:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CigarsofthePharoahs Wed 12-Apr-17 18:21:58

A speaker playing classical music. Or bagpipe music.
I'd definitely invest in some sort of camera. The problem with mosquito devices is that young children can hear them too, and sometimes much older people.
I remember watching a news article about them when I was 30 and I could hear the noise. Horrible.

Andysgirl15 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:22:57

Thank you for the advice. Me and DP talked about cameras but we thought why should we fork out for it when the council and police should be doing something. We had a camera put in by council for a week and it captured nothing because the guy put it in facing the wrong way. Police were supposed to be upping there presence along with pcso's and councils mobile cctv van but nothing has happened yet. Even my local shop and takeaway and 9 other properties on my row have complained about them but no authority seems to be interested.

SantinoRice - I can't do anything about the roof as it's the shops property not mine.

I want to buy a car but I can't as I'm scared what they will do to it. I need a new car in the next 6 weeks or I'm screwed for work and childcare.

I have read that I can get an injunction but because every night it's someone new I have no idea how i would get one without knowing names etc. All I can do really is take my council to court for failure to keep up with the rules set out in my tenancy agreement.

Hidingtonothing Wed 12-Apr-17 18:26:43

Also, if you feel moving would be the best solution, are you on the exchange register if you're already in a council place? Don't know if it differs in other areas but here you can swap not only with other council tenants but also any local housing associations who come under social housing. It's worth registering your property even if there's nothing on there you're immediately interested in, I think a lot of people have a look every now and again at what's available but never get round to putting their own on so there's probably more chance than you'd think from just looking at what's registered. It only needs the right person to be browsing the list and like the look of your place.

SantinoRice Wed 12-Apr-17 18:28:09

Surely the shop don't want people sitting on their roof? You'd think they'd put anti climb paint on it (tbh I have no idea what that stuff actually does). Have you spoken to the shop at all? They might be renting, in which case the owners might not even know someone is up there, damaging their property.

Isadora2007 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:36:07

Sounds awful. Here are my immediate ideas. They may or may not be useful-

Could you approach the community police team?

Or is there a youth group worker who might come along to try to talk to them and offer them alternatives?

Your local MP might be of some help?

Erm. Facebook. Is there a local school or community page that you could post photos to in the hope that their parents recognise them and take action?

Local Press? Sad face daily mail style...

Go out and offer them beverages. Make friends with them and then that will embarrass them as no teens like adults to be friendly. Maybe offer them some work clearing out your garden or manual labour and then they could feel they know you and will realise how close their antics are to your home and move on?

Erm... floodlights?

Sorry. I'm out of ideas...

Andysgirl15 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:40:18

I live in doncaster, south Yorkshire. The shop is a coop and they have been in contact with the council and police etc but they just don't want to know. I'm going to have a look at the mosquito might be worth getting one. They saw the huge camera in my window that the council installed for a week and just laughed and made rude gestures. I'm on the housing list and exchange list but no one is interested in my property as it's up a flight of stairs and nobody wants that.

AnneElliott Wed 12-Apr-17 18:42:25

I agree that loud classical music is the way to go. Teenagers hate it!

Andysgirl15 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:42:36

I actually was contemplating taking photos and sending them to local schools but where I live if your in school and causing trouble outside of school and your found out you are immediately expelled. I wouldn't want that to happen and ruin their future careers because of bad choices they made as kids

ParadiseCity Wed 12-Apr-17 18:44:30

The police and council are stretched thin. They deal with whoever complains the most. Its how any underfunded system ends up. So keep reporting, complaining, involve your MP.

Hidingtonothing Wed 12-Apr-17 18:48:03

Yes MP is a good idea, make sure you emphasise the effects this is having on your life, not going out without DP, feeling intimidated, the effect on DD and what she's being exposed to. MP's are good at putting a rocket under councils and the local police.

Hidingtonothing Wed 12-Apr-17 18:49:39

Email your MP here or google when their surgery is and go and see them in person.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: