Talk

Advanced search

Teenagers Smoking During Pregnancy ON PURPOSE!?

(33 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

marienhs Wed 12-Apr-17 16:12:54

Really wish I was joking (although I wouldn't joke about such a thing) or this was some kind of bizarre satire, but apparently some teenagers are purposefully smoking during pregnancy because they want to minimise pain during child birth.

www.knowlio.org/pregnant-teenagers-are-starting-to-smoke-to-make-their-babies-small-because-theyre-afraid-of-labor/

I genuinely believe smoking during pregnancy should be made illegal anyway, regardless of how well or whether it's enforced. This makes me furious, and I can imagine there's many mums, would-be mums and those who have struggled to have children who'd feel the same.

Cocklodger Wed 12-Apr-17 16:22:59

While these teenagers do sound stupid (if it's true, always double check sources smile) I'm not for telling women that their body's and rights matter less than a foetus which is what it comes down to if you want to ban smoking in pregnancy.
Too many variables.
What if she's got an abortion booked anyway?
Or if she's undecided if she'd like to continue with the pregnancy??
What if she's already giving up eg drugs (prescription or otherwise) and can't cope with more than one lot of withdrawal at a time?
What if she didn't know she was pregnant - would she be punished? Not smoking I know but in my first pregnancy (ended in a loss unfortunately) I went out drinking 2 days before BFP. If i was a smoker at the time I'd have done that too as I was unaware... greater support and awareness is the way to go IMO. I tried to get support for quitting smoking in the UK and found there was sweet fuck all around of any use in the way of support, or how smoking benefits you. I did once see a quit smoking timeline that showed eg after 30 mins your blood pressure improves after x amount of hours this and that improves. That was good for me as every time I was tempted I'd look at the next thing to look forward too.
Anyhow,
I've rambled a bit now. YANBU, for the most part smile

FairyAnn Wed 12-Apr-17 16:23:43

I'd check the validity of this article before getting too upset smile

The original source is dated from last year, and I seem to remember the same story doing the rounds about 10 years ago when I was at Uni.

Plus, there are no reference links to the studies apparently conducted as evidence, so it's likely this is one of those linkbaity type features.

Cocklodger Wed 12-Apr-17 16:24:25

How QUITTING smoking benefits you!*

guphajujum Wed 12-Apr-17 16:24:51

Some women keep smoking through pregnancy just because they want to give birth to a smaller baby, according to British researchers.

Cocklodger Wed 12-Apr-17 16:27:29

I also think it's a slippery slope to start banning things that are bad for you or your foetus.
Alcohol would be next, by the same logic,
Then say goodbye to fast food, enforced exercise perhaps? Rationed "bad" things like cheese or chocolate...

lostatsea1 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:28:31

I also seem to remember this story cropping up intermittently over the decades.

Like most of these type of scare/horror stories there is probably a very small grain of truth at the bottom of it but it has been exaggerated or implied that it is common.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 12-Apr-17 16:29:05

I think this story is bullshit. However I know many teenagers who smoke in pregnancy. Because I work with teens who have come off the streets, given up crack/meth/heroin/alcohol/sex work to have their child and some still smoke. Of course they are encouraged to quit. But making it illegal? Nope.

TheFirstMrsDV Wed 12-Apr-17 16:45:10

There is nothing new about this story.
Its been going around for decades.

I have no idea if its true or not.

ZilphasHatpin Wed 12-Apr-17 16:48:14

Ooh I wonder how I could stir up enough non thinkers to get a full petition to ban smoking in pregnancy. I know, I'll circulate a bullshit story to start the fire. Won't someone think of the kids

hmm

VestalVirgin Wed 12-Apr-17 16:49:56

You have no right to tell women what to do with their bodies. Period.

Perhaps teenagers wouldn't smoke during pregnancy if they had gotten better sex ed and hadn't gotten pregnant in the first place.

But I also very much doubt that there is any truth to it. Sounds a bit clickbaity.

BeIIatrixLeStrange Wed 12-Apr-17 16:57:49

I doubt any mother would deliberately poison their own child, what nonsense

amusedbush Wed 12-Apr-17 17:00:49

I heard stuff like this years ago.

DimpleDumpling Wed 12-Apr-17 17:02:07

When I went to college a girl there became pregnant and started smoking because she was told it makes babies smaller so this less painful.

PinkHeart59156816 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:02:51

How real is this article? Sounds click bait bullshit to me

With all the evidence that shows what smoke does to a baby I really struggle to believe any mother to be would smoke like a chimney to have a small baby confused in the naive belief childbirth will hurt less. Surely even a teenage gets having a baby is going to be sodding painful

WorraLiberty Wed 12-Apr-17 17:07:24

looks like click bait crap to me too.

CaoNiMartacus Wed 12-Apr-17 17:08:02

The OP has started another thread with a Knowlio link today.

WorraLiberty Wed 12-Apr-17 17:09:25

I genuinely believe smoking during pregnancy should be made illegal anyway, regardless of how well or whether it's enforced.

And what would the punishment be?

A fine? Do you really think that would put a stop to a nicotine addict smoking, or do you think they'd just avoid going for their medical check-ups?

luckylucky24 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:13:15

Bellatrix, my adopted DS was exposed to smoke during pregnancy amongst other stuff. 20 fags a day.
Birth mum is not so daft that she didn't know it is bad for babies. You could say that she deliberately poisoned her own baby.

I personally would be happy to see it illegal to smoke when pregnant/in charge of small children. My DS has some serious breathing issues stemming from BM smoking. It makes me sick to see people willingly putting their children at risk.

Yay, another young mum bashing thread, it's been a while. hmm

AskBasil Wed 12-Apr-17 17:18:15

Oh just fuck off

noeffingidea Wed 12-Apr-17 17:18:42

You can't ban smoking in pregnancy unless you ban smoking for everyone. It's a human rights issue, you know, a little something called bodily autonomy. Would you go the whole hog and ban abortion as well?
Yes I have heard this happening as well. The answer is to keep on with education, encouraging antenatal care, etc etc.

ShiroiKoibito Wed 12-Apr-17 17:18:48

I thought that was odd
Another knowlio link...

WorraLiberty Wed 12-Apr-17 17:21:08

Exactly noeffingidea and you'd have to ban morbidly obese women from getting pregnant too.

BertrandRussell Wed 12-Apr-17 17:22:08

My midwife told me about patients of hers who did this 21 years ago. She didn't specify age, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now