Talk

Advanced search

to not wash dishes after every meal?

(77 Posts)
kathkim Wed 12-Apr-17 13:16:16

I don't have a dishwasher.

I only wash up last thing and do all that day's dishes.

Am I slovenly? If I had a dishwasher, I guess I'd store the dishes in there until it was full.

Does anyone else hand wash dishes? Do you do it after every meal? Or do it at the end of the day? If the latter, do you just stack the dirty dishes up in view or what?

HerRoyalFattyness Wed 12-Apr-17 13:21:01

I hand wash. I wash them after every meal.

laurzj82 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:21:36

Same as you OP. Hope we're not the only ones blush

Katedotness1963 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:22:36

I have a dishwasher now but when I didn't I washed up after every meal. I still wash my lunch dishes by hand as I'm the only one home then, and I wash up if I have a cup of tea.

Wolfiefan Wed 12-Apr-17 13:22:54

Depends on how many people are in the house. If it was just me I don't know if I would have bothered to run a bowl of hot water for my side plate and single knife after my morning toast. If the whole family is here I would definitely wash up or the bowl would be overflowing!

ThePigletatwork Wed 12-Apr-17 13:23:11

I hand wash.

I tried to leave it for a couple of days at a time, but I'm so messy in the kitchen that the place soon resembled one of those huge rubbish dumps that you see in India.

Plus I tend to use the same pots and pans every night.

kathkim Wed 12-Apr-17 13:24:22

I only have hot water through an immersion heater and I don't really want that on three times a day, you see.

patronsaintofglocks Wed 12-Apr-17 13:26:36

As long as you don't have rats! It's your choice x

BastardGoDarkly Wed 12-Apr-17 13:28:14

Boil a kettle? I hand wash after every meal yeah (dh does dinner dishes) lm no domestic goddess by any stretch, but can't handle rank dirty plates all over my kitchen the whole day.

tabulahrasa Wed 12-Apr-17 13:29:09

Oh at the end of the day, not reusing them without washing...lol

Itaintme Wed 12-Apr-17 13:29:28

Before my dishwasher we mostly only washed up once a day.

swampytiggaa Wed 12-Apr-17 13:29:40

I hand wash and wash dishes at night. Don't see a problem with it tbh.

SuperManStoleMyPants Wed 12-Apr-17 13:31:48

I wash after every meal, but we have a small kitchen so it gets very cluttered very quickly. Glasses, cups and other bits get left throughout the day until the next meals wash.

Itaintme Wed 12-Apr-17 13:32:35

Now I have a dishwasher dirty pots get shoved in it out of sight. So we still only wash dishes once a day or every 2 days if there are not many pots.

acquiescence Wed 12-Apr-17 13:32:36

We don't have a dishwasher. I couldn't stand this! I wash after every meal, snack, cup of tea.
Your house, your choice though. I really hate dirt dishes with food/drink in hanging around and would find it pretty gross if I was at a friend's house. Would you wash up if you had people coming over?

mirime Wed 12-Apr-17 13:32:40

Before I had DS we washed up once a day in the evening while cooking dinner, so we'd be washing up the previous days dinner things plus that days breakfast plates. Worked for us as neither of us felt like doing dishes or any house work after dinner.

loosingsanity Wed 12-Apr-17 13:33:25

I do the same as you OP. I find it hassle to wash up after every meal, so I wash up everything we've used during the day whilst my LO is eating dinner of an evening. Might be the odd cup, or cutlery piece in the sink prior to going to bed at night - but I can live with a sink that's never completely empty. Once a day is plenty for me!

kathkim Wed 12-Apr-17 13:34:43

Yes, I would wash up if I had people over. Not that it happens often!

In fact, my question was prompted by the fact that I am expecting someone to come over after 3pm today (to do with work) and I have just had a flurry of cleaning in the kitchen as we'll be using the kitchen table. I've mopped the floor, washed down the table and put things out of the room that don't belong.

It made me think how much better life would be if I was semi-visitor ready for a change!

eddiemairswife Wed 12-Apr-17 13:36:56

No dishwasher, only me, every other day.

kathkim Wed 12-Apr-17 13:36:57

I am trying to keep my bills down too, so not sure how expensive it would be to put the immersion on 3 x day or to keep boiling kettles.

I am guessing running a dishwater and buying all the cleaning stuff for it gets expensive? Anyone?

Hmmm. Maybe a compromise would be to at least find a way of keeping my dishes out of sight.

Will need to mull this over.

I just don't want another day like this one - panic stations in anticipation of visitors.

kathkim Wed 12-Apr-17 13:39:11

I have, however, found time to read MN half the morning blush

amusedbush Wed 12-Apr-17 13:40:27

I don't have a dishwasher. It's just DH and I at home, and I eat breakfast and lunch at work so very few dishes. Anything really manky is washed as we go but I'll sometimes leave plates/cutlery/mugs for a couple of days.

abigwideworld Wed 12-Apr-17 13:42:54

Who on earth has the time to wash up three times a day? Usually there's only a couple of things anyway, like a few cups and bowls. It's nothing that can't wait til evening.

DevelopingDetritus Wed 12-Apr-17 13:45:57

I wash up about every 3 days.

PuntCuffin Wed 12-Apr-17 13:47:36

I have a dishwasher. There are still some things which don't go in it. I leave them until there are enough to justify running a basin of hot water. Which is usually each evening after supper, or while I cook. But might be more often if I have been baking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now