Talk

Advanced search

To ask about depression with no apparent cause/reason

(5 Posts)
user1490817986 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:09:43

For the past 15 months, out of nowhere I started experiencing a physical/mental darkness and despair which I put down to anxiety. However, I have no physical symptoms of anxiety just a horrible feeling of dread, despair and darkness which seems to be worse in the mornings. I feel like i'm being suffocated by it, its so intense and overwhelming.

I have been on antidepressants for 10 years for low mood and panic attacks, but this feels so different. About 4 months ago my medication was increased and i started to feel much better for about 2 months. Now it seems to be back again and I don't think I can do this again. I saw a psychiatrist 2 months ago and they just said it was anxiety. But it doesn't feel like just anxiety.

Does this sound like chemical related depression?

AristotlesArmy Wed 12-Apr-17 13:27:31

Go back to your GP or mental health professional. Whoever you would routinely. It's impossible to diagnose over the internet and the most important thing is you get support. It could be just a different anxiety symptom, there is a broad range sadly. Hope you get it sorted, whatever it is!

NeonGod73 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:36:51

I read it somewhere that people who seem to be depressed with no apparent cause are low on omega 3 oils. I think it's the kind of stuff you find in avocados, nuts/seeds, salmon etc...I think it's worth a try, as so many things in our life are chemical/hormone related. If you think about for example PNT, allegedly it's also to do with hormone imbalance and chemical stuff not working properly. And in order to produce the feel-good hormones, you have to eat the right stuff. Just a suggestion.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 12-Apr-17 13:45:34

Last year my long term depression became crippling, I was off work for months, it took several attempts to find the right meds at the right dose. But I "should've" been happy! I was in a good relationship, I was out after hiding it for years, I finally had a flat I loved, I was good at my job.

Depression doesn't always need a reason. Go to your GP, you may need a chance of medication, not all ADs are equal

Twiggy71 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:55:20

I had been on the same meds for 14 years when i felt my mental health go down.
I've suffered with depression & anxiety for 22 years.
Mine had got to the point of a breakdown where i got referred to the mental health team.
My recovery consisted of seeing a phychiatrist who felt my meds were no longer working for me so now i'm on different ones.
I was off work for six months and now i've been back working for nearly a year and doing really well.
Go and see your GP and tell them what you have told us here flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now