Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis customer service mouldy mattress

(20 Posts)
Whatsaldigottodowithit Wed 12-Apr-17 12:40:53

So. Last Thursday I waited in all morning for my sons bed and mattress to be delivered. Bed arrived fine but the mattress was spotted by delivery driver to have marks all over it which we discovered to be mould. They were great and took the mattress back, and told me I would hear re a replacement. Heard nothing so called in 2 hrs later to be told oh you do t need to call it has been logged and you will hear from us. Got to 8 at night and heard nothing only to be told oh we have no record about it. So sorry. We will deliver a new one on Tuesday. When my husband asked if this was the earliest it got moved to Monday. New mattress arrived whilst I was at work (MIL had to spend all afternoon waiting for it). My husband accepted it as he had not seen the previous mattress, when he sent me the pictures it was mouldy again got home and opened it up it was moist and smelled. Called customer services, so sorry, you will get a call tomorrow to sort it out. No call by lunchtime so I called and spent half an hr on the phone oh so sorry I will send an email to the warehouse and you will hear about trying to get a non mouldy one. Please put it in your garage and it will be collected on Saturday.
No call again by lunchtime. I have called up and requested a refund, which they have auctioned very quickly. Offered me £20 gift card for trouble. Am I wrong to be shocked at this amount? I know I am not entitled to anything g but that will be 3 mornings/afternoons someone has had to be on the house for and 1 week my young son has not had a mattress for as well as 5 phone calls at my expense to John Lewis.
Shocked really

CarpetBagger Wed 12-Apr-17 13:03:42

yes thats pretty rubbish considering all the hassle etc

shirleycartersaidso Wed 12-Apr-17 13:06:32

No I don't think it's shocking.

What were you expecting?

peachgreen Wed 12-Apr-17 13:17:45

I'm surprised, John Lewis' customer service is usually so great - that's why it's worth over-paying for their products.

Whatsaldigottodowithit Wed 12-Apr-17 13:24:49

Well Shirley, 5 phone calls, 1 week without a mattress and 3 mornings/afternoons waiting in for deliverys/collections during Easter holidays and an issue not actually resolved I would have expected more than £20 to be honest.

CarpetBagger Wed 12-Apr-17 13:47:38

Of course its shocking, as pp said we pay more for JL customer service, things go wrong we cant help that...we want a company we can trust to look after us when things do however.

It takes huge amount of organising with large products, eg mattress, and is person sleeping on floor in mean time?

Whatsaldigottodowithit Wed 12-Apr-17 13:51:35

Yes I stupidly trusted that it would arrive and everything would go ok, so I donated my sons cotbed on Thursday. He has slept on a mixture of with his sister and in our bed since

FairytalesAreBullshit Wed 12-Apr-17 13:53:16

I think what the PP meant was if your son has no mattress, not sure why, surely you'd try and get one locally same day.

Whatsaldigottodowithit Wed 12-Apr-17 13:58:50

You mean apart from the over £100 cost? And actually trusting in a company that is supposed to be reputable?
That is what I am doing today thank you.

MollyHuaCha Wed 12-Apr-17 14:13:51

We ordered a bed from John Lewis. When we paid in the shop, we arranged that JL would remove the old mattress and construct the new bed for a fee. When the bed arrived, the delivery men refused to do either as they said it had not been put on their schedule, despite me having a receipt to show I had arranged it. I rang customer service and they were (surprisingly to me) not particularly apologetic. They just said they would refund the bed assembly fee which they did... not the amazing customer service normally associated with JL.

hamandmustard Wed 12-Apr-17 14:52:22

if you have suffered loss of income then JL do compensate in some circumstances.

londonmummy1966 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:56:59

I'm not surprised we ordered a carpet plus fitting from them and the fitters were rude and did a bad job and left a razor blade lying on the floor in the sitting room near where my toddler was playing. When I phoned JL to complain they were totally unapologetic and basically said that it wasn't their problem as the fitters were a contractor.

mollyminniemo Wed 12-Apr-17 16:32:31

Its a myth their customer service is so brilliant. Went in to collect click & collect order of kids items that we were texted and emailed to say was there, after much waiting in chaotic Waitrose on a Sat afternoon found it wasn't there but had no idea where on earth it was, went back forwards/call to head office/other stores, with screaming toddler and me heavily pregnant, all took about 45 mins of waiting to be told would arrive, then no it wouldn't...customer service/senior manager called, was so lame and offered no real apology even, let alone anything by way of us having driven especially to the store and back/waiting nearly an hour there- only when I threatened to go on social media he got very very pushy and near aggressive and offered me something like £30 in vouchers to not do this!

OP with something like this you should definitely have received more. Bed/mattress is essential item that if you are relying on and has an issue can cause mass upheaval to a family.

previously1474etc Wed 12-Apr-17 17:03:23

I stopped buying from John Lewis as their service is appalling and inefficient, has been going down hill for some years but I stopped using them 3 years ago as it was so bad.

Whatsaldigottodowithit Wed 12-Apr-17 17:27:30

Wow sounds like I am not the only One to receive bad service! They really need to consider that many of their competitors are offering better/cheaper/quicker service.
Gosh Londonmummy, a razor blade! Doesn't ever bear thinking about!

FABpMummy Wed 12-Apr-17 17:31:56

I have found privately messaging their customer service team through Facebook a very efficient way of getting problems resolved.

ThomasHardyPerennial Wed 12-Apr-17 18:09:49

I agree with you molly, it is an amazing myth! I have repeatedly had crap customer service from John Lewis. As far as I'm concerned, they are no better than any other shop and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

londonmummy1966 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:10:45

In contrast to JL we ordered a bed from Laura Ashley and when they messed up the delivery they dismantled one from the shop and sent it over to us until ours could be delivered.

ThomasHardyPerennial Wed 12-Apr-17 18:11:19

blushOops meant to add - it might be best if you formally complain to them op, in writing. Their offering of £20 is a joke.

CarpetBagger Wed 12-Apr-17 19:05:03

yes take it further, its not good enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now