Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if any of you have been sterilised?

(22 Posts)
Cutesbabasmummy Wed 12-Apr-17 10:57:31

I've been accepted on the waiting list to be sterilised. DH and I have one DS who is 26 months, conceived by donor egg ivf - I have a genetic issue that I didn't want to pass on to a child. We don't want any more children and even if we did I wouldn't be using my own eggs. Anyway the gynae dept at the hospital agreed and I'm on the list. I'm wondering what the actual op is like and how painful it is and what if any are the problems after surgery? Please put my mind at rest! x

Fireinthegrate Wed 12-Apr-17 11:20:04

Depends what type they are going to do. I had my tubes clipped. It was day surgery. I just had tiny cuts at the top of my pubic bone and by my tummy button. Recovery was just a few days taking it easy.
Hope it goes well for you x

Batgirlspants Wed 12-Apr-17 11:22:03

It's easier for your dh to have a vaccectomy.

JacquesHammer Wed 12-Apr-17 11:23:40

Do you mind me asking where you are OP?

I am desperate to be sterilised but my PCT have said no as I'm single and too young

VladmirsPoutine Wed 12-Apr-17 11:26:08

Tbh I'm impressed they agreed. That said, I'm pretty certain that if you didn't have a heritable condition they'd have sent you on your way.

OldJoseph Wed 12-Apr-17 11:27:51

Day surgery, back on my feet the next day. Only paracetamol as a pain killer (as I was breastfeeding). Tubes were clipped. Normal periods afterwards, no problems.

MrsJayy Wed 12-Apr-17 11:33:27

Hi I was sterilised at 27 for medical reasons I had my tubes cut and clipped I was in overnight as i was last on the list . There is some pain afterwards and you will be sore from the air they use for the keyhole surgery took me a week to recover.

MrsJayy Wed 12-Apr-17 11:35:16

The op didn't ask about vasectomy confused

ABitOfACyclePath Wed 12-Apr-17 11:35:37

I had day surgery and was back on my feet next day with mild painkillers. Periods went back to normal fairly quickly (although I've since had an ablation so no periods now) It will be 7 years this year since I've been sterilized. Best thing I ever done.

BusterGonad Wed 12-Apr-17 11:36:24

That's true Bat but the op has issues not her DH, so if they had more children they'd need DH sperm and a donor egg.

MrsJayy Wed 12-Apr-17 11:53:06

Well exactly they op does not want to conceive she didn't say she didnt want anymore babies they Dh needs his sperm in tact and the op is taking control of her fertility which in her case is a good thing

Cutesbabasmummy Wed 12-Apr-17 12:04:38

JaquesHammer I'm in the South East. I'm 42 this year and currently have a mirena coil which I'm not getting on with. I'm getting on a bit to take the pill which is what I used before our ivf and I after talking it through with the consultant we agreed other hormone methods probably weren't for me either. It is true that DH could have a vasectomy but I feel that that really would be cutting off any option for more children - which we are pretty sure we don't want at the moment. Also I have done some research and some men have experienced bug issues after vasectomies. Thanks ever so much for the replies ladies, I feel much happier now! x

Cutesbabasmummy Wed 12-Apr-17 12:05:27

Big not bug!!

JacquesHammer Wed 12-Apr-17 12:16:21

Thank you for replying. I hope it goes well for you smile

goldierocks Wed 12-Apr-17 12:26:38

Hello OP

I'm in the south-east too and was sterilized aged 30. Complex medical history, I have one child and would not be capable of carrying another past 20 weeks.

I was a day surgery case, three tiny incisions. The stitch inside my belly button was the most uncomfortable (it didn't dissolve, had to be snipped out). I also had 'shoulder tip' pain - they fill your stomach area full of gas (co2) to make the area more accessible. The pain only lasted 24 hours.

Good luck flowers

MissMogwi Wed 12-Apr-17 12:28:22

I had it done 2 years ago at the age of 36. Had to push a bit with the consultant, who was saying I was too young. However I was prepared for this and as I have two young teens and DP has an adult son we definitely do not want any more children!!

I had the standard procedure via an incision in my bikini line. It should have been a day op but I had a bad reaction to anaesthetic and had to stay in for a couple of days. After that I had two weeks off work as it took longer than I expected to get better. It was a bit more painful than I imagined too, for a few days.

Periods settled down quickly and it's such a relief to not have to take the pill or faff about with condoms.

That was an essay! Good luck with your op - best thing I ever did!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 12-Apr-17 12:30:17

Take loose clothing to come home in. Don't expect your normal size jeans to fit over a belly full of air. Speaking from experience. blush

BeeFarseer Wed 12-Apr-17 12:38:31

I had it done at age 32, when my second DS was 4 months old. I have a history of cancer so I can't use anything hormonal, and I wanted one more child. Once I had him, it was no problem whatsoever to get agreement that sterilisation was the best thing for me. I expected a fight, but was told by my GP and the gynaecologist that they completely understood.

I had my tubes clipped under general anaesthetic. I had minor abdominal pain for a few days afterwards, like period pain, but energy-wise I was wiped out for two weeks.

I've since had endometrial ablation done under general anaesthetic to treat heavy periods. I didn't know when I was sterilised that it's often done at the same time, so if it's an issue for you, mention it and see if you can get both. I don't have periods now, only a tiny bit of spotting, and it's utter bliss!

MrsJayy Wed 12-Apr-17 13:50:09

The worst bit is the sore shoulder from the air it really hurts settles quickly though but it is a strange sensation.

RapidlyOscillating Wed 12-Apr-17 13:55:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrouchyKiwi Wed 12-Apr-17 14:00:10

Agree that the shoulder pain from the gas was the most painful.

I had clips done nearly 5 months ago. The surgery itself was fine - just day surgery, two small incisions. They healed nicely.

But since then my periods have been horrible - much more painful. Last one wasn't as bad so I'm hopeful they're settling down.

It's complicated by the fact my youngest is only 10 months so my periods weren't back to normal anyway.

It's great not to have to worry about pregnancy, though.

HaveYouSeenMyHat Wed 12-Apr-17 14:01:12

I had this done last week!

Pain was manageable but I needed help to look after the children for the first few days. Couldn't lift the toddler etc. I have been very tired but that is improving now. I didn't "bounce back" as quickly from the op as I was expecting to be honest but a week on and I'm feeling significantly better every day.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now