Talk

Advanced search

38+4 oblique lie

(42 Posts)
WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 10:46:25

Posted in Pregnancy, copying here for traffic!

I went for a standard midwife check yesterday and she found that the baby is lying oblique.
The Midwife rang up and booked me an appointment with my consultant. She said it was an emergency but they didn't have any appointments available until tomorrow lunchtime.
Will they really try and turn the baby at 38+5?
After her warning me that the cord could come out if my waters break I'm pretty much terrified to move!
This is baby number 4 and it's the Easter holidays so no chance of relaxing!!
So be brutally honest with me...a c section is the most likely scenario here isn't it?

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 11:32:53

Anyone?

monkeysox Wed 12-Apr-17 11:40:13

flowerscake maybe but it'll be a planned cs. As long as you and baby are safe.

ifiwasaflowergrowingwildnfree Wed 12-Apr-17 11:49:01

I'm here and understand your nerves over everything, I was in a similar situation pretty much exactly 5 years ago. They will only try and turn the baby if you decide that is what you want - I did get dd1 turned, though didn't really know the risks and wouldn't have done had I known (same situation 3 years later and I declined when dd2 was transverse). It did hurt and they said it was a fairly easy one. Didn't help in the end in that I ended up with an emergency c section for something else! After turning down being turning dd2 I had a two week stay in hospital until c section was booked (I forget how many weeks I was) due to risk of prolapsed cord. My mum and friend lost babies very late so I was quite happy to be monitored so closely. Annoyingly I had psyched myself up for very section then cheeky one decided to go head down when we were scrubbed up ready for theatre!!! They gave us the choice to go ahead or wait for things to start naturally. Chose section due to other things happening in the family at the time. So much better when planned and actually a really good experience and decent recovery. Was pleased to avoid the panic of an emergency section (though that in itself wasn't that bed and was well worth it for my lovely daughter!). With the turning they then gave me a pessary gel to try and get things started and synth in drip (horrible as contractions end up coming thick and fast and epidural was a welcome relief in the end despite me hoping for a very calm midwife led birth! My hypno birthing practice did help with the pain still though I reckon!). Really good luck. It is so hard knowing what to do for the best. Sending big hugs and feel free to ask if there's anything else you'd like to knowsmile

ifiwasaflowergrowingwildnfree Wed 12-Apr-17 11:52:03

Just seen it's baby number 4 - I really feel for you in the whole fear of moving thing but not a chance in the hols. Obviously I only have 2 but didn't find recovery too bad with another child to look after.

Gaaaah Wed 12-Apr-17 11:59:35

I had a planned section with my last one due to something similar. Polyhydramnios meant he had a tonne of room to swim around and his lie was pretty unstable towards the end. He was transverse between 34 and 37 weeks and they made a big fuss about it even though I was so early. I think it was because he was number 6 and could have come early with the weight of the excess water. Have you been fully informed what to do if your watets were to go now?

They offered to turn my baby, which I declined because the risks far outweigh the benefits for me. At 37 weeks he was breech and they booked the section for 39. On the morning of the op they scanned me and he was finally head down but we went ahead anyway. It was a weird but very calm experience and the recovery has been great.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 12:04:04

Thank you so much for your replies, was feeling very down in the dumps!

I am starting to think that telling them I would like a c section is the best option to be honest. Am I 'allowed' to do that? Would they do it tomorrow?

I had never ever even thought about this scenario-after a horrible first birth I had both my boys without even a whiff of gas and air I was so scared of intervention! That included anyone touching me which is obviously an issue if they try to turn!

Once I get to 11am tomorrow I will calm down I'm just desperately crossing my legs until then!

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 12:05:14

Gahh Midwife said drop to all 4s rad on floor and call an ambulance if waters go!

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 12:05:39

*head on the floor!

Girlsinthegarden Wed 12-Apr-17 12:05:49

Have pmed you.

MatildaTheCat Wed 12-Apr-17 12:12:47

Former midwife here.

If you have had previous normal deliveries they may try a controlled rupture of the membranes and guide the head into the pelvis. That way if there are any problems they can proceed to a CS very quickly but equally there's a good chance of a normal labour and delivery. Once the membranes have broken and the liquor begins to drain out the head will usually sink into the pelvis quite easily...very much like the draining of a bath!

It very much depends on the actual position of your baby which can be changing all the time if you have plenty of fluid and a stretched uterus. So you may see the consultant and find the positihas changed again.

Try not to worry and good luck.

hamandmustard Wed 12-Apr-17 12:13:42

What did the consultant say? Did they scan?

I was told the same by the midwife- rushed hospital for a scan only to find baby was fully engaged and heading in the right direction. Consultant said midwife was wrong (it was only a couple hours or so later with no obvious movement)

Gaaaah Wed 12-Apr-17 12:15:09

Yea that's the advice they gave me. And leave the door open so the paramedics can get in while you're foof in the air!!

You can ask for the section. Just express your concerns and dont let them try to persuade you into anything you dont want.

They will probably do it at 39 weeks so not long to wait.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 12:23:42

Thanks so much everyone for being so lovely!

Matilda would they do all that tomorrow-should I take my bag?

Isn't pregnancy glamorous grin

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 12:24:52

ham consultant is 11am tomorrow-can't come soon enough!

savagehk Wed 12-Apr-17 12:25:01

Do you think baby moved oblique itself recently or do you think it's been that way for a while? Have kicks/movements moved position? If it's moved recently chance it could move back on its own?

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 12:31:42

It was always lying that way until I had a scan at 34 weeks and it SAYS on the form from that that baby was head down.

savagehk Wed 12-Apr-17 12:52:15

Hm... Hoping it moves back to normal for you!

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 18:42:51

Thank you!

She didn't say if I should go in if I'm feeling a lot of pressure? I'm probably being over anxious but the pressure down below in the last few hours is ridiculous! It feels like something is going to burst blush

Joinourclub Wed 12-Apr-17 18:52:07

Definitely take your bag. My dr wouldn't let me home when DC was oblique. I had a successful ecv at 38+3. It didn't hurt at all.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 19:22:40

Join That's good to hear! Did you have baby straight after the procedure?

Trufflethewuffle Wed 12-Apr-17 19:41:25

I had a scan with DD at 36 weeks and they kept me in as she was an unstable lie. I had the three DSs at home with my mum, and the boys started chicken pox in a sort of relay, one after the other.
The consultant wanted to get me as close to term as possible and then do a c section. That would have been problematic as DH couldn't have taken all the time off before I could drive again. My sister couldn't step in as transport as she was going to the US for several weeks.
So they planned the section for 37 weeks.
When they wheeled my hospital bed into its window bay, the midwife told her colleague to remember to put all sizes of gloves ready by the bed. I asked why, to be told that if my waters broke I would be wheeled downstairs to delivery suite with my head down, backside in the air and a gloved hand up my fanjo to ensure no cord prolapse!
Thankfully we didn't get that scenario!

QueenArseClangers Wed 12-Apr-17 19:44:29

Have you looked at Spinning Babies OP?
My last DC was oblique and at 30 weeks she moved, I believe, thanks to advice on that website.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 19:45:29

Truffle That is hilarious and horrifying at the same time!
From all of your stories I am guessing they will probably keep me in tomorrow. Oh well on the bright side our Easter holidays finish this week so Husband's paternity will coincide with return to school!

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 12-Apr-17 19:47:09

I did have a little look at spinning babies. Tried a bit but SPD and the sheer enormity of me at this late stage made it a bit difficult!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now