Talk

Advanced search

To think that some places should be segragated by sex?

(8 Posts)
IAmWomanHearMeRoar Tue 11-Apr-17 22:01:52

Maria Miller, the dear behind the gender identity bill which is going through parliament right now, thinks that transwomen (and by transwomen we mean any man who simply 'feels' like a woman or identifies as a woman which will be even more the case if this bill is passed) should be allowed to access services for women such as rape crisis centres and womens domestic violence shelters. AIBU to think that this is simply madness and some places should be segregated by biological sex and not gender identity?

I've been in an abusive relationship and had to go into a shelter for my own safety because he was going to kill me. I was very vulnerable at that time but I felt safe in the shelter because only women were there. If there had been men there, regardless of how they identified, then I would have been terrified and found it very distressing.

The fact that Maria Miller wants to essentially get rid of those safe spaces for women and allow any man who identifies as a woman in is both saddening and scary to me.

There are places where women (and sometimes men) are vulnerable and they should be able to have access to places and services which are single sex.

WTF kind of world am I bringing my daughter up in?

ladyballs Tue 11-Apr-17 22:09:47

YANBU at all.

Foldedtshirt Tue 11-Apr-17 22:13:24

Yanbu- do you have a link to the bill's timings. I've written to my mp to object, but lost track of where it is in parliament.

ThePigletatwork Tue 11-Apr-17 22:13:30

I think that the actual number of genuine trans people is vanishingly small.
To change all the rules on women's and men's safe places (mainly women's TBH) for such a small number of people seems nonsensical to me.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 11-Apr-17 22:14:12

You mean like men only golf clubs?

I agree.

xrayyankeezulu Tue 11-Apr-17 22:39:39

YANBU at all!! It's ludicrous!!

MangoSplit Tue 11-Apr-17 22:41:56

YANBU

Renaissance2017 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:43:27

The klaxon horn has gone off for the usual suspects to join the thread with the same arguments!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now