Talk

Advanced search

Time spent with children

(7 Posts)
safm Tue 11-Apr-17 19:07:19

Hi never posted before but annoyed by a comment that was made earlier so was just wondering if I AIBU?

Basically I have a 9 week old baby when she is awake we play together by chatting/singing nursery rhymes/ reading to her/ toys and playmat etc and we go to a sensory class and I worried that we don't do enough however when talking to someone earlier I was told o shouldn't spend so much time with her and do my own thing. I.e. Leave her on a mat or in a bouncer etc

However the way I see it I'm only on maternity leave for 9 months and the person I spoke to has never worked with 2 children so I think of this time of being there and interacting with her as much as I can

Slothlikesundays Tue 11-Apr-17 19:13:23

People are quick to voice their opinions on other people's parenting styles. Just nod and smile and ignore them.
Personally I'm from the camp where just being around daily life was enough stimulation for my nine week old, singing, chatting, not going overboard "entertaining" but I have many friends who did and that's fine too. Each to their own. We have a lot going on in our house so very little entertainment needed. Wouldn't bother me that someone else was parenting differently.

Gottagetmoving Tue 11-Apr-17 19:21:03

You should do what you feel is right....and what you are doing seems perfectly right to me

havingabadhairday Tue 11-Apr-17 19:23:01

Sounds fine to me. I did used to put DS in a bouncer so I could drink a cup of tea while it was hot and have a read but I'd be shield near him and more often than not I'd end up reading out loud.

When he was very little I would generally be interacting with him if he was awake, unless I was grabbing some food or something. I was happy doing that and never felt cooped up or isolated and I have very happy memories of the seven months I had off with DS. Do what's right for you!

Brighteyes27 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:26:28

Yes each to their own. I read a lot to my PFB and he had a lot of one on one attention off me he has turned out very well in terms of his reading age academic ability etc. With DD a year younger things were much more hectic so she didn't get quite as much one on one quality time as PFB DS she is bright but less academic more arty and creative has dyslexia but I would say she would score much higher in terms of emotional intelligence.

OhhBetty Tue 11-Apr-17 19:28:16

Either way is fine! People parent in different ways and however suits them. As long as the child is well looked after that's all that matters! And at 9 weeks all the baby really cares about is being fed!

safm Tue 11-Apr-17 19:32:26

Thank you for replies I just want to do what's best for her I think she is going to be an only child so I want her to be interacted with and happy but not sure on the balance so sometimes don't feel like I'm doing enough she also sleeps on me in the day if we're but my husband does a lot to so I don't mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now