Talk

Advanced search

Was this an unreasonable request?

(10 Posts)
spirallin Tue 11-Apr-17 15:47:13

I'm looking for a new job. Saw one advertised 18hrs pw pro rata to £xxxx salary.

I emailed asking for an application pack and also asked if they could advise what the expected working pattern would be for the 18hrs and what the actual salary for 18hrs would be (as pro rata of 40hrs fte is big difference to 35hrs fte).

I said in the email I didn't want to waste their time applying if the job turned out to be unsuitable.

Application pack just arrived by email, standard 'thanks for your interest here it is' type email - my questions ignored.

Now I'm a bit confused as I really don't want to apply if the hours are over 5 days and the salary is pro rata of 40hrs etc.

So I'm wondering if it was even reasonable of me to ask at that stage? My thinking was that better now than if offered the job!

And would it be unreasonable to email back and ask again or leave it be?

DingDongtheWitchIsDangDiddlyDe Tue 11-Apr-17 15:48:15

Just call and ask.

Porpoiselife Tue 11-Apr-17 15:49:07

Is there a number you can call? If not, I'd email back! Good luck if you decide to apply.

DonaldStott Tue 11-Apr-17 15:50:33

Not unreasonable at all. I would give them a call.

spirallin Tue 11-Apr-17 15:51:19

I think I'm just nervous that I'll be remembered for the wrong reasons!

Birdsgottaf1y Tue 11-Apr-17 15:52:42

As said, call and ask.

I'd apply even if you don't get an answer, you can ask at the interview stage, but I live in an area that has low employment.

spirallin Tue 11-Apr-17 15:59:49

Thanks I will call.
Just got to careful not to sound accusing when I do so. I'm told my voice is expressive like that!

kmc1111 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:07:07

I'd apply and ask if you get to the interview stage. If you got that far and they really liked you you might find they're a bit more flexible than a canned answer over the phone would suggest. Obviously depends on what kind of job we're talking about.

Don't bother emailing. Given they didn't acknowledge your questions at all it's very likely the person dealing with emails has absolutely nothing to do with the hiring process besides sending form letter responses to emails and maybe weeding out the worst of the applications.

Wando1986 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:12:15

"Hi, I'm just calling as I really want to apply for the job but need to know what rota the 18hrs is expected to be over and what the salary is, also if it's 18hrs minimum and if any additional hours are expected, can you confirm for me? I just didn't want to apply without knowing, thank you"

If anything when I was in recruitment we would remember friendly callers names who'd asked positive questions and that tended to go in their favour star

spirallin Tue 11-Apr-17 16:17:04

Thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now