Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd with fraudulent money

(54 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Tue 11-Apr-17 14:07:29

I've got lost down a bit of a rabbit hole and gathered all my change to make sure that i get rid of all pound coins before they are taken out of circulation. Yes very messy and stuff everywhere in my house.

I've found two pound coins that i think are fake.

Im not going to try to spend them as that's illegal, I'll take them to the bank eventually as they have all been shut around here. But it is a bit annoying to feel like I've had money taken from me.

What would you do?

https://youtu.be/thwTiEzWd0w

pullingmyhairout1 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:13:44

The same as you, yet I wonder how many actually know that they have had dodgy £1 coins and not known.

FairytalesAreBullshit Tue 11-Apr-17 14:14:48

I honestly have never checked my change, but maybe a post office if not a bank.

brexitstolemyfuture Tue 11-Apr-17 14:18:34

Honestly I've never checked before but after hearing 1 in 30 are fake i thought i might find one in all my coin pots. Who knew they were so widespread

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 14:19:29

Use them in a vending machine

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 11-Apr-17 14:19:57

I always notice coins which I think are fake. I always spend them too. I can't afford to take the hit!

alltouchedout Tue 11-Apr-17 14:21:23

I wouldn't notice or check so I'd spend them.

LittleGreyMeow Tue 11-Apr-17 14:22:00

October the old ones go out and I've only just discovered it sad this is very much up there with first world problems, but...

I have stored mine in an only smashable (sounds tacky, it had to be to match the brief) wine bottle piggy bank - was for my birthday, after I had been saying for mr tenth birthday I really wanted a smashable one, so that ten years later, when I was "old" I could smash it and start all over again, and do it every ten years, I'm only 6 months in sad this has made me miserable

I could cut some sort of hole in it I suppose sad it just will not be the same.

Itaintme Tue 11-Apr-17 14:22:02

I'd just spend them.

LittleGreyMeow Tue 11-Apr-17 14:24:17

Sorry totally derailed and forgot to add the comment about the actual thread!

I've seen tons of fake ones, if I could afford it I'd return them to the bank, if not I would spend them.

brexitstolemyfuture Tue 11-Apr-17 14:24:53

I'm pretty sure using them in a vending machine counts as spending so is still illegal

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 14:25:26

Wouldn't bother me tbh

brexitstolemyfuture Tue 11-Apr-17 14:25:41

I'd like to see a photo of this bank, is it homemade from an old wine bottle?

c3pu Tue 11-Apr-17 14:28:19

The vending machine is probably smart enough to reject it.

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 14:30:37

Just use it in a shop then. I wouldn't be trailing to a bank with it. Put it in the bin if you don't want to use it

kingscrossnoodle Tue 11-Apr-17 14:32:48

Yeah i see no reason to give it to the bank, just bin it.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 11-Apr-17 14:33:17

If I don't check, I won't know...

PlinkPlonkPlunk Tue 11-Apr-17 14:37:23

Grey, you might need to check, but I'm fairly sure that you'll always be able to take the old coins to a bank and get them exchanged for new ones, even in another 9.5 years. You just won't be able to spend them directly.

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 14:41:40

You are thinking of notes. Coins are only accepted for a set period of time

Helenluvsrob Tue 11-Apr-17 14:42:09

try them next time you pay an atrociously high parking fee at a meter! That's what I do and most will work with a scratch on the machine or so at the same place everyone else rubs their coins!

peggyundercrackers Tue 11-Apr-17 14:43:37

just spend them - seriously whos going to care about £2.

cliffdiver Tue 11-Apr-17 14:45:29

I thought you were going to say £50,000 had been deposited in your bank account or something grin

I'm not sure I would even notice a fake pound coin.

If you don't want to spend them:

Keep them to use in trollies?

Give to DC to use when playing shops etc.?

DingDongtheWitchIsDangDiddlyDe Tue 11-Apr-17 14:47:08

I don't think I' could give a flying shiny one about 2 quid.

Wando1986 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:58:27

The BOE accounts for fake tender in circulation. You can still spend them and/or take them to a bank to deposit them, you wont have any issues.

LondonHuffyPuffy Tue 11-Apr-17 14:59:22

Blimey. I have never even thought about fake pound coins and just looked in my purse. I have two of the fakey little buggers in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now