Talk

Advanced search

Todo an advanced search on a username

(74 Posts)
ohtheshameshameshame Mon 10-Apr-17 22:11:18

When they write something I perceive to be unhelpful or nasty? Then I stalk through read all their previous comments / threads and like some shite MN detective try to work out if they actually are an arsehole or just having a bad day.

I'm pretty sure this is unreasonable but I can't help it. I'm a stalker aren't I shock? I think I need to ditch this MN!

ethelfleda Mon 10-Apr-17 22:13:17

That's bloody awful! You can't do that!!
i do this sometimes too grin

freeDeirdreRachid Mon 10-Apr-17 22:14:51

I think it's fine to do that but almost shitty behaviour to bring it up on the thread. Unless the previous posts relate to it.

JamesDelaneysHat Mon 10-Apr-17 22:15:36

I'd guess most people on here have done it at least once constantly You stalky stalker you! What's not on is to then bring it up on another thread to the person you've advanced searched stalked.

ethelfleda Mon 10-Apr-17 22:15:53

I agree with pp - I would never bring it up on a thread.

HecateAntaia Mon 10-Apr-17 22:16:12

well, its a bit over invested 😁 but it's not breaking any rules or anything.
if someone says something you dont like , it's better to just think pfft and forget about them.

GinSwigmore Mon 10-Apr-17 22:19:08

I thought everyone did that! Only considered Bad Form if you then drag onto the current or even currant bun fight, what you learnt from your stalking. might have been quite rightly called out on that once But advance search also stops you investing in a thread when your trolldar goes and the userplusnumbersgalore has only one post to their trip trap name.

ohtheshameshameshame Mon 10-Apr-17 22:20:52

Oh I wouldn't have the balls to bring anything up! I'm a lurker not a fighter. I just sit shock at the cheeky comments. Totally over invested! On the plus side MN has cured my FB addiction. grin I have progressed to stalking interacting with strangers instead of people I know.

ethelfleda Mon 10-Apr-17 22:24:01

Haha - I'm with you on the not having the balls thing. I don't put my opinion on debates a lot of the time because I'm actually scared worried about the backlash!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 10-Apr-17 22:26:36

Love a bit of AS.

Rainydayspending Mon 10-Apr-17 22:27:13

I am impressed you have the time in your life. You must be more organised than I.

boringbetty Mon 10-Apr-17 22:28:06

How do you advanced search? Curious

zzzzz Mon 10-Apr-17 22:31:23

shock

MaisyPops Mon 10-Apr-17 22:32:54

Ive got no interest in doing it.Theres been a few threads where people have commented 'theres all these people who are just arseholes on other threads' etc. I dont pay any attention to user names to remember if somebody was also posting on AIBU and saying "yes" lots let alone trying to find out what else theyve commented kn etc.

But YANBU, you would if you brought it up on a thread though.

HecateAntaia Mon 10-Apr-17 22:33:29

www.mumsnet.com/Talk?showsearch=arch

ohtheshameshameshame Mon 10-Apr-17 22:35:59

Well rainy if you've time to post then you've time to do a nosey wink

user1491774393 Mon 10-Apr-17 22:36:17

I have done this on my previous mumsnet accounts. Only as a shill / troll spotter. I have since learned this is futile and pointless because you can spot them by their arsey know it all and inflammatory responses...

HarryPottersMagicWand Mon 10-Apr-17 22:36:24

I honestly couldn't be bothered to go through someone's posts to see if they are usually an arsehole. I look if I suspect a troll or if it looks like someone I may know.

So2007 Mon 10-Apr-17 22:39:54

Yeah me too. I've done this a few times, usually to check if it's a troll. Usually I find out it's just a person seemingly unhappy with life.

abcBears Mon 10-Apr-17 22:40:09

I do it sometimes when the posters are so outrageous that they can't be real. Sadly, in most cases, they seem to have hundreds of posts under their name, which is puzzling. I don't bother reading the threads, I just look at the summary page.

AlpacaLypse Mon 10-Apr-17 22:40:30

I do it if it's a username I'm not familiar with asking a question that might be Daily Mail click bait. Eg 'how often do you have oral sex?' or similar.... smile

ohtheshameshameshame Mon 10-Apr-17 22:41:12

How do people so confidently identify trolls? I've seen it a few times, what does one look for when hunting trolls?

cherish123 Mon 10-Apr-17 22:41:13

Sounds like you have an empty life.

SeaEagleFeather Mon 10-Apr-17 22:44:26

I really don't get why it's so bad to bring up posts on other threads.

Not for minor inconsistencies (people change small details for privacy and I've shortcutted myself by only putting the essence of a situation in before now) but for the really big ones where someone's pattern of behaviour is off.

People invest time and effort into Mumsnet Relationships and Chat. Some less-than-well-adjusted people take the piss. I really can't see what's wrong with summarizing the overall pattern of someone's posts, no matter where they post it.

klondikecookie Mon 10-Apr-17 22:45:29

I did it after a recent thread when the OP was outraged that some people eat dog. After about 6 pages of being told she was unreasonable, she announced she was a vegan.

Didn't believe her, and sure enough she had previous posts about her eating meat and stressing the importance of finding a good butcher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now