Talk

Advanced search

Things to do when you are stranded in a portakabin for 6 hours on the side of the motorway in the middle of the night

(12 Posts)
MycatsaPirate Mon 10-Apr-17 15:01:20

We broke down driving home last night at 8pm. We were about 90 minutes from home and managed to get into a refuge on the motorway where the motorway services picked us up and dropped us at the customer care centre at the next junction. Basically it was a portakabin with a vending machine (chocolate and crisps), a kitchen with a kettle (tiny amount of milk left), a TV that had such shit reception you couldn't watch it and a whole stack of toys suitable for a 2 year old.

It was dp, me (disabled), 18 yo DD and 11 yo DD (ASD).

We were there for 6 terminally long hours. We rang the RAC when we broke down and they sent someone out at 8.45 who said we needed to be recovered and it would be two hours. That was then 3, then 4, then 5 and finally someone turned up at 2.15am. By this point DD2 was driving me fucking insane with the constant whining (although not blaming her) about being tired/hungry/bored. Teen fell asleep for a bit as did Dp.

To combat the absolutely shitty evening's boredom we:

Turned the fan on full blast to make our hair blow out behind us.
Drew a stick family on the feedback forms with things like 'bring us food' written on them and stuck them to their noticeboard.
Played with the toy garage for a while.
Rearranged all the chairs to make beds (not comfortable!) and read every sign in the place.

There were no staff there although the odd driver came in and we fought over who would make him a hot drink as something to do.

It really was a terribly long, boring evening and we hadn't eaten since 2pm.

Incidentally we had to be recovered from a different motorway in a different car on the exact same day last year so from now on April 9th is a day for staying home!

Mumoftwoyoungkids Mon 10-Apr-17 15:03:22

On reading the title if your post I had a suggestion but probably not suitable in front of the kids.wink

araiwa Mon 10-Apr-17 15:04:24

eat crisps and chocolate then sleep

chitofftheshovel Mon 10-Apr-17 15:09:47

Wow, I had no idea such places existed.

And yes, stay at home on April 9th in future.

MycatsaPirate Mon 10-Apr-17 15:12:51

Haha, I have no idea whether there were any cameras on the place, there was a lot of activity across the fence with guys getting materials to work on the motorway - plus the added risk of a random truck driver dropping in!!

We did have chocolate and DD2 had crisps as well. There was some sort of ventilation system that kept whooshing into life every few minutes, I tried to sleep but that and DD2 just rolling about on the floor wailing that she was hungry made sleep pretty difficult.

I had no idea these places existed either. I never want to have to go there again though!!

multivac Mon 10-Apr-17 15:14:07

Pfft. Have you not read Room?

MycatsaPirate Mon 10-Apr-17 15:32:52

No, I haven't! I shall investigate that.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Mon 10-Apr-17 16:00:30

Last time I was stuck for hours waiting for vehicle recovery from one of these places, I put on my horse's boots, bandages and bridle and trotted around the car park performing grand prix dressage tests for a bit...

MycatsaPirate Mon 10-Apr-17 20:03:24

Well damn, I missed a trick there! I could have dressed up DP with a set of jump leads and a bungee rope and ridden him around the compound.

Gutted.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Mon 10-Apr-17 20:27:35

No imagination, that's the problem with folk these days... wink

SomethingBorrowed Mon 10-Apr-17 20:34:05

Todo lists, meal planning, online shopping, browsing mumsnet...
You might have been able to get a pizza delivered, I would have tried

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 10-Apr-17 20:38:11

Play I spy?

Something beginning with c.
Car.
Car.
.... It might get boring quite quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now