Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Epilepsy and quality of life

(4 Posts)
Meekonsandwich Mon 10-Apr-17 14:54:52

Unfortunately my little beagle has had 3 seizures over the weekend.
The vet says she's certain it's epilepsy but she's running tests to be sure.
I'm so relieved its unlikely to be a brain tumor.
She's only 2 years old and already has a heart murmur.

She's now on medication, twice a day. Hopefully this will reduce the severity and amount of seizures. We can try a few different tablets if these don't work, so we've got something to work with here.

However the vet said she doesnt like them to have more than two seizures in a month, because then it's uncontrolled and unlikely to get better and usually increase in severity.

I would be happy with this amount of seizures also, as it's not too often that the dog can't enjoy all the other days in the month.
However how many would be impacting their quality of life? Once a week? Once a day?

When she seizes she gets anxious, paces, then has the seizure, then pants, paces and is very anxious and clingy for about an hour afterwards. Watching her do this every day has been heart breaking, I know dogs live in the moment but a whole 2 hours of her day is ruined by it.
2 hours a fortnight is so much different to 2 hours a day.

So where do you draw the line???

My family are of the opinion that if they need regular medication or they're suffering they should be put down but it's never that clear cut.

She's my best friend and I owe her my life, we've been though so much and selfishly I can't imagine coping without her, but I can't watch her suffer.

So when is she suffering?

P.s. I have contacted the breeder but she really doesnt care. She wasn't bothered at the heart murmur either (as both are hereditary i thought it was important she stopped breeding with those lines)
Not all breeders are like this at all, but I will never buy a kc registered dog ever again, I will always adopt.

Also, please consider insurance if you get a kc registered dog. They're usually inbred at some point and have so many more issues than mixed breeds, you've paid hundreds, just pay that bit more for insurance.
Our insurance refused to pay out for her heart murmur because it was caught at 9 weeks,within the first 2 weeks of the policy and they wouldn't cover any thing to do with it in the future either. But I wish now I hadnt got angry and cancelled it, I didn't think one dog could be so unlucky!!!

harderandharder2breathe Mon 10-Apr-17 14:59:51

If the medication is controlling her condition then she still has quality of life so I would use needing mediation as a criteria. Hell im on daily medication myself for two life long conditions!

Work with the vet, if the meds reduce the seizures to a manageable level, there's no reason to put her down. If the epilepsy remains uncontrolled and she's stressed and suffering, then you'd need to discuss options with the vet.

flowers it's horrible seeing a beloved pet suffering

uglyflowers Mon 10-Apr-17 15:33:23

My son had seizures every other day from birth until he got the right meds. His quality of life was/is good and he is happy. I know it's not the same but just wanted to say.

ZebraOwl Mon 10-Apr-17 16:03:07

For me, as a human, having a tonic-clonic seizure is... pretty grim. I come round feeling as I imagine I would if someone whisked my brain & dropped a house on me. I need to sleep & I can be confused & disoriented for some hours afterwards. Plus I stay sore for ages after that - tonic-clonic seizures have been compared to running a marathon in terms of the impact on your body.

Crucial thing is, I understand what's going on. Your dog doesn't understand, hence her fear & need for reassurance.

Quality of life doesn't have an exact measure though. You know your dog best - would being too sore to go yomping about on long walks every single day distress her? Or would she cope with gentler days pootling about? Are you able to be with her [pretty much] 24/7 so there's no (significant) risk she'll be alone if she has/is recovering from a seizure?

Am so sorry that your dog is so unwell. It must be awful to be having to think of her needing to be put down. Is your vet good in terms of discussing things with you? Could they perhaps advise?

Hopefully the owners of some dogs with epilepsy will appear presently to offer some advice. A friend of mine's dog has occasional seizures but is a very happy little dog with a generally good quality of life - I really hope that things can work out like that for you & your dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now