Talk

Advanced search

to consider buying a bmx/mountain bike for my 10 year old novice

(15 Posts)
sherazade Mon 10-Apr-17 13:56:47

sorry, posting here shamelessly for traffic
10 year old dd desperately wants a bike but until now she hasnt had one for a few years due to several reasons. Person down the road is selling two bikes that seem a suitable size and absolute bargain but one is a bmx bike and one is a mountain bike. I know zilch about bikes but for a new bike rider who just wants to cycle around the park aibu to consider each of these or is it better to buy just a regular bike? which would you go for and why? should i just wait for a normal bike to come up on gumtree etc have been looking but haven't seen anything decent so far and she is desperate to cycle during what's left of the holidays.

araiwa Mon 10-Apr-17 14:02:59

whats a "normal" bike?

lots of people have bmx or mountain bikes

rjay123 Mon 10-Apr-17 14:03:44

Mountain bike

museumum Mon 10-Apr-17 14:05:34

A mountain bike is more "normal" than a bmx.

sherazade Mon 10-Apr-17 14:10:04

araiwa - goes to show I don't have a clue about bikes!

SecretNortherner Mon 10-Apr-17 14:10:19

BMX tend to have a lighter frame, if she wants a bike, and it's the right height and she likes it, just get it.

sherazade Mon 10-Apr-17 14:11:16

thanks rjay and museum
any particular reason rjay

sherazade Mon 10-Apr-17 14:13:37

secret she's out swimming at the moment, tempted to buy one in case they go but probably will wait till she gets back

araiwa Mon 10-Apr-17 14:19:54

why not take her to the person selling them and see which one fits her/ she likes the most

sherazade Mon 10-Apr-17 14:57:58

Will do , just wondering what to if she likes both as I am not informed enough help her decide

araiwa Mon 10-Apr-17 14:59:52

she chooses the one she likes most

for pootling round the park, it really doesnt matter

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Mon 10-Apr-17 15:06:55

BMX bikes don't have gears - presume they still don't, my 1988 model didn't. I loved mine!

MerryJerryOnTheFerry Mon 10-Apr-17 15:07:07

Mine always found mountain bikes easier to ride than a BMX.

tinyterrors Tue 11-Apr-17 08:55:34

Just get whichever one is the best fit for her. If she's just going to be riding round the park it doesn't matter which you get.

A mountain bike has gears which makes riding up and down hills easier but is difficult for a while on the uphill of you aren't used to a bike.

BMX bikes are better for doing tricks on.

Either are good for riding round the park.

Fwiw my 9 year old has a mountain bike and my 8 year old has a BMX. They just ride round the park on them and both are equally as good.

sherazade Tue 11-Apr-17 21:41:17

Thanks everyone - the mountain bike was a better fit so she went for that
I've noticed that the gear slips from 1 to. 3 and is hard to reduce again . Am I doing something wrong ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now