Talk

Advanced search

Fuck. DS watched all of Iron Fist...

(15 Posts)
LookAtTheFlowersKerry Mon 10-Apr-17 11:49:19

Before I realised it's an 18.

He's 14. I'm happy for him to watch 15s, and he's a sensible kid so I don't tend to monitor what he's watching. He doesn't play ultraviolent games or anything and is basically trustworthy.

Anyway, we'd both been very excited about Iron Fist for ages, and he watched all the episodes back to back when it came out.

I sat down last night with dh to watch episode one and he said, er, did you know this was an 18? Well no. I assumed it was a 15 like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Asked ds and he hadn't noticed (I believe him as it's only shown in a tiny graphic on the intro screen).

Anyway, it's a lesson learnt and it's done now. But I've only seen the first episode so far. And there's nothing in it that raises concern.

If you've seen it, how bad does it get? I'd like to talk about it with ds and head off any concerns etc. For context, I would draw the line at Game of Thrones/Spartacus sort of violence. I have no issue with swearing and happily let him watch Deadpool after we watched it first.

How badly have I fucked up here?

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Mon 10-Apr-17 11:51:00

I should add that I usually vet 15s first as well, but took my eye off the ball with IF as I assumed it was the same as JJ and DD.

ChangedUsername123 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:52:44

It's not too bad. I think the 18 rating is more to do with the heroin shown.
There is a pretty graphic murder scene and lots of blood. But considering Jessica Jones had rape themes and daredevil the same drug situation, I'd say it only just goes into an 18 rating.

(It's also pretty boring imo compared to the likes of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, but hey ho! grin)

I wouldn't worry too much, maybe sit him down and ask him if he's got any questions?

Greystars Mon 10-Apr-17 11:53:14

It's nothing like game of thrones IMO

I don't think it's too bad for a 14 year old nearly 15 tbh, bit more murder, heads being chopped off in some episodes but on the whole not much different to daredevil.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Mon 10-Apr-17 11:54:16

Oh that's fab! Thanks, both of you.

flowers

Greystars Mon 10-Apr-17 11:55:24

Forgotten about the fact the drugs are heroin, that will be why it's an 18 smile

I loved it smile I loved DD-S1, S2 I missed the dude from law and order smile I still can't quite believe it's he same bloke smile

TaraCarter Mon 10-Apr-17 12:05:00

I think it's about as harrowing as Jessica Jones, although mostly not as bad, because the Jessica Jones themes of coercion, rape and torment really got to me. Iron Fist is just stabbing, decapitation and ornately choreographed fight scenes.

lostincumbria Mon 10-Apr-17 12:10:05

From what I can see on the BBFC website, it's only Ep 7 which is an 18 - for strong, bloody violence. The majority are 15, Ep 11 is a 12.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Mon 10-Apr-17 12:14:14

Awesome. I'll tell dh as he was much more bothered than I was (he needed convincing that 15s were ok, he's a bit of a stickler for the roolz). So long as it's nothing too horrifying ds will be fine with it.

I just didn't want him having nightmares or worries about stuff and feeling like he couldn't talk about it.

Karanka Mon 10-Apr-17 12:16:17

I'm only up to episode 9, but there was one instance of violence which was so upsetting and brutal that it seemed really out of place, in what has so far been a fairly goofy and good-natured show.

In general, though, it has a fairly light tone - it doesn't have the thematic depth of Jessica Jones (coercion, abuse, power) or Luke Cage (racial politics, identity), nor does it have the sustained bloody violence that Daredevil has (certainly in the second season).

GeekyWombat Mon 10-Apr-17 12:25:12

Honestly, I didn't look at the ratings (long since eligible to watch 15s and 18s and with no DC old enough for it to be a factor yet) but agree with PPs that Jessica Jones / Daredevil worse.

Definitely the drug factor for the most part.

RockNRollNerd Mon 10-Apr-17 12:47:33

Yep not finished it yet but Jessica Jones is far more disturbing both with the coerciob side but also the violence where he makes people kill themselves. Violence is on a par with Daredevil I would say so agree it's probably the heroin that makes it an 18 although that in itself seems odd in terms of classification. It's hardly glamourising it and makes it look about as appealing as Zammo did (and no ones calculator got broken in Iron Fist either).
Agree with others that it's not as good as the others. Am working through it so we are up to speed for The Defenders which I am looking forward to.

UppityHumpty Mon 10-Apr-17 12:49:35

I would be more worried about him watching rank rubbish like Iron Fist than the rating itself. It's nowhere near as good as the other Marvel TV shows smile

WasabiNell Mon 10-Apr-17 12:49:51

I've just finished Iron Fist and I honestly think it's fine for a 14 year old. There is violence but it's very much superhero violence and lots of martial arts etc, it doesn't look very 'real' just typical comic book stuff smile

Nousernameforme Mon 10-Apr-17 13:32:50

I thought the guy literally hammering out the dead guys teeth was a bit rough tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now