Talk

Advanced search

Should I go to A&E with this?

(16 Posts)
ShinyAsIWannaBe Mon 10-Apr-17 09:07:37

I have monumentally stubbed my little toe on Friday night. I now have bruising back down the foot and a little swelling and it bloody hurts although now not as much as on Friday.

Should I go for an X-ray? Or am I wasting nhs time?

Toomuchocolate Mon 10-Apr-17 09:08:23

That injury seems appropriate for a minor injuries unit.

tinypop4 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:08:45

Minor injuries not a&he

Orangebird69 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:08:57

I wouldn't. There's not much they can do.

elektrawoman Mon 10-Apr-17 09:12:25

I broke one of my toes and when I went to the GP he said there's nothing they can do for broken toes!

juls1888 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:18:39

I agree with the others, nothing they can do anyway. Just rest it, take ibuprofen and/or paracetamol if it is very painful. It'll be right as rain soon.

Oly5 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:20:39

Minor injuries, not A&E

pinkieandperkie Mon 10-Apr-17 09:20:52

I broke three toes, X-ray confirmed this but there was no treatment required. I came home from a&e and walked straight into the hearth with my bad foot. It hurtsmile. I wouldn't bother getting it checked if it happened to me again. Hope your toe feels better soon.

Meekonsandwich Mon 10-Apr-17 10:00:19

Nope.
There's no thing they can do except xray and say "its broken"
Waste of time.
They can't splint it, they'll tell you to take pain killers.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 10-Apr-17 10:01:41

Broken toes heal by themselves and can't be treated in A&E, so there isn't any point wasting their time.

Bettyspants Mon 10-Apr-17 10:03:12

Little toe unless deformed I wouldn't even X-ray as I'd treat it the same, strap elevate and rest. If the big toe is affect yes it needs seeing. If you have any pain along your metatarsals particularly where your toe starts then yes you need seeing as the treatment may be different depending on the fracture. Minor injury unit preferred though.

aniceglassofchianti Mon 10-Apr-17 10:03:23

I agree nothing they can do

PlayOnWurtz Mon 10-Apr-17 10:04:12

X-ray as it sounds like you've broken a metatarsal not just the toe

ASDismynormality Mon 10-Apr-17 10:04:37

You could go to the GP and ask for painkillers of over the counter ones don't work but there's not much else that can be done to help.

smallchanceofrain Mon 10-Apr-17 10:05:48

I broke my big toe. GP said it would just have to heal on it's own. It hurt like hell so you have my sympathy OP. I would say if the swelling gets worse you should get it looked at by a doctor, but it's not an A&E job.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 10-Apr-17 10:34:51

I broke my second metatarsal , had it crated ,was given a surgical shoe, crutches and given a doctor's note to take 8 weeks off work while it healed.

Hard to say if your injury is worth a visit to hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now