Advanced search


(14 Posts)
Morphy1 Mon 10-Apr-17 07:25:48

Hi ppl sorry if this is in the wrong place
I am currently working full time and I have severe depression and anxiety I am also going to a specialist to see if I have bipolar. I have had depression for over 15 years and I have been able to manage it with medication but I am now struggling with my work attendance and I'm being monitored at work for absences. Someone told me that I should try for pip but i am unsure if this is the right root for me as I have read that mental illness is hard to get a claim is there anyone here going through a similar thing ? Thanks

FABpMummy Mon 10-Apr-17 07:32:55

PIP is not means tested, is available to people in work and is available for mental health issues. It might be worth you applying, I can't say based on your post. Perhaps go and see CAB/welfare rights to ask for their advice? If you could look at the criteria and try and score yourself (based on how you are most of the time). You need at least 8 points for daily living or for mobility to get an award.

FABpMummy Mon 10-Apr-17 07:33:30

Brokejoke Mon 10-Apr-17 08:16:48

I have a friend who works part time and gets pip for mental health issues. She said that the stress of the application process makes her MH worse, but she can't afford not to have it atm. She gets reassessed every so often and that's the stressful part. I'm not trying to put you off but thought I'd mention it as a caution as I know she finds it very difficult.

Babyroobs Mon 10-Apr-17 08:38:16

Are you wanting PIP to supplement earnings so you can go part time, or do you think you might need to give up work altogether.
Pip is not a earnings replacement benefit, it is a non means tested benefit to help with the extra costs that having a disability brings.
If you had to give up work altogether and had exhausted all your sick pay, ESA would be something you might be able to claim alongside pip.
As pp have said, it is hard to get, so get help filling in the form and gather as much medical evidence as possible.

Morphy1 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:48:19

Thank you for all your advice I don't want to give up work but I think it will be out of my hands if I keep having time off.

sobeyondthehills Mon 10-Apr-17 08:58:35


I get PIP and ESA for various mental health problems (severe anxiety is the main one)

I am being reassesed at the moment and it is very stressful. You find yourself battling a lot of different battles. A struggling NHS service, the DWP and it has taken a massive strain on my mental health.

If it gets deemed that I don't qualify than it has a knock on effect with other benefits such as housing benefit. Which causes more stress, then the appealing which might work. Plus you would have to do assessments.

I get jumping through hoops at times, but it is very stressful and you would have to be in a good place mentally to start the process. As it will bring you down, this last lot of assessments had me in a massive depression.

Babyroobs Mon 10-Apr-17 08:59:05

Have you spoken to your employers or do you have an occupational health department?. If you have a disability they should be helping as much as possible, they have a duty to support you.

Morphy1 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:31:48

Yes I have spoken to my employers and they said there is only so much they can do however they did send me to a occupation health centre who basically confirmed my condition and asked my employees to support me as much as possible. I am grateful to my company for standing by me however they have a business to run and cannot let my abcense continue.

Morphy1 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:54:01

Sorry to hear that buddy I hope you will find the strength you need

SilverDragonfly1 Mon 10-Apr-17 10:24:32

I'm afraid it is a very stressful process, but knowing that in advance mean you can be forearmed. A formal diagnosis (so the occupational health report, assuming done by a doctor and whatever the specialist comes up with in due course) will help, as will medical notes that are relevant. The main thing is to make sure you fill in the form in the right way. There are guides online specifically geared towards applications for mental health issues and you might find MIND has someone who will help you with the form and with ongoing support in the process- our helper was invaluable.

goldmin Mon 10-Apr-17 10:37:19

I get PIP for severe MH issues. I used the guides from Benefits and Work to write my application (need to pay a small amount for subscription but it's worth it), and attached evidence like my care plans and all the letters from my psych to my GP. I get enhanced rate care and standard mobility and my last award was for five years. It's annoying to have to jump through their hoops, but I've been on either DLA or PIP for ten years now and always save my applications on my computer so I have got used to it. My MH issues are too severe for me to be able to work and I get ESA on top, I manage OK on the income from both. I think MH issues are harder to claim for but it's all about the evidence and not having contradictions in your application. Be aware that you might have to appeal as well as it's very common to be turned down initially, but most appeals succeed in the end.

Morphy1 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:10:41


DJBaggySmalls Mon 10-Apr-17 11:16:00

PIP is available for both physical and mental health issues, but its not like the old DLA. Its not to help you with any expenses associated with being disabled.
There's a good guide here;

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: