We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Signed off work, can I resume some normal activity?

(15 Posts)
user1483705947 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:18:16

Just wondering on others opinions on doing normal day stuff whilst being signed off sick?

I've been signed off sick with 'extreme tiredness' at nearly 36 weeks pregnant. I don't get anymore than a couple of hours sleep at a time at night due to pains and heartburn, dh is almost never here and I already have a 2 year old. I was struggling at work and it was also becoming increasingly more busy, I was seriously struggling with my work loads etc and could not switch off from work due to worry and pressure. The way I felt in general didn't help, sleep deprivation is a shitty, shitty thing. Anyway my manager didn't take me announcing my sick leave very well. I went into work to finish off my work load, do a proper handover etc and offered to work until the end of the week to help. I didn't have to but that's what I'm like, I care probably too much! This was last week. Straight away she said she thought my part time hours were a cause, despite me explaining I'm signed off with tiredness and that I'm pained, don't sleep etc, I never mentioned work to her at this point. I said to her I think it usually works great (my part time hours) but the past 6 weeks haven't been easy. She was quick to tell me my colleagues don't think it works great etc and they are under strain etc, which made me feel like shit. She accused me of having a go at her when I explained me struggling with particular work loads and I had to tell her I'd end our discussion as she was becoming too difficult to talk to as I was absolutely not having a go at her. When I cracked and began to cry, something I just don't do at work, ever, but this conversation turned quite sour, she said she didn't want me to cry and said to go home. I left that day after having to say bye to my colleagues with swollen eyes and a patchy face. Not how I thought I'd go in and say bye to everyone. It was a horrible way to start my maternity leave. I've not heard from anyone since and I'm aware that they are very short staffed, but is that more important than mine and my baby's welfare? That's what I keep asking myself anyway. But I know people and they are bound to be talking about how I've left them in the shit etc.

Anyway Certain things make me wonder if it's okay for me to leave the house and carry on with normal stuff whilst technically signed off? Or if they could use it against me?I really don't have much planned as I am using my time off to nap in the day and continue to send my son to nursery as I genuinely am knackered. But tomorrow I was going to take my son to the soft play centre as he's been mentioning it for the past 2 days! My thoughts are, I'm not signed off as incapacitated, I can still get on with my life surely, I just have extreme tiredness that is making it difficult for me to function at work etc hence why im signed unfit???. Does it mean I should hibernate until the note expires? Am I looking too much into it?

Xmasbaby11 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:20:54

Crikey I stopped work at 35 weeks second time around with 2yo - you've done well to get that far! Your manager would always know there's a chance of you going off sooner.

Definitely go to soft play and don't feel bad about doing normal things. Hope you feel more rested before the baby arrives.

RJnomore1 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:21:55

At 36 weeks don't you go onto mat leave if you're signed off?

However I think it's fine to do what you can regardless, you have another child to care for and amuse, the line says you are not fit for work but you can do normal things if you are up to it. I wouldn't take up marathon running or something though as that may lol a bit off! 😉

user1483705947 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:23:11

I've asked her about the 36 week rule but haven't had a response. I'll have to call the office in the week if she hasn't confirmed it.

LauraGashley Sun 09-Apr-17 20:27:54

You're not fit for work, but you are still allowed to leave the house! If you take DS to soft play, are you going to be running around with him, or sat with a cup of tea? I really wouldn't worry about it.

Also agree with pp, if you are signed off with 4 weeks of the due date on your MATB1, then your maternity leave should kick in, even if it's earlier than you originally advised your employers.

Get whatever rest you can, and please don't feel bad about it flowers

user1483705947 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:57:47

Thank you, that's what I hoped to hear lol. I just feel worried given how things ended.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 09-Apr-17 21:03:21

Of course you can do normal things! You're unfit for work. Not unfit to do anything except lie in bed.

Wolfiefan Sun 09-Apr-17 21:06:13

Of course you can!
The only exception is if you are signed off as unable to do certain things (like lifting) and then spend time off doing exactly that (weight lifting?!)
I was signed off for having a bad back. I was actually advised to walk. Had to avoid sitting down so no long car journeys.

CosyCoupe88 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:10:47

That's why we all.told you not to go in to work after being signed off sick. What did you expect? You are making hard work of this. Next time plan your maternity to start earlier if you want a nice smooth exit with all ends tied, hugs and happy goodbyes.

I may seem a bit harsh but from.your last thread you dont seem to listen to advice anyway and have a bit of a saviour complex.

Yes go out as normal.just done be seen doing anything that doesn't fit in with extreme tiredness

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Sun 09-Apr-17 21:32:08

It's a job. Not life or death.

Believe me, as soon as your face no longer fits or your requests become problematic they will find a replacement and probably dress it up as redundancy to tick the legal boxes). Then you will realise you are not indispensable, no one person ever is.

CosyCoupe88 Mon 10-Apr-17 07:30:57

Agree with Delores.. the way you're acting is like you're utterly irreplaceable and you're doing them a massive favour going in to finish off work etc. Yet you're being a massive pain in the arse by getting your self into this situation in the dust place. They must be pissed that they're having ti pay you 3 weeks sickness for what really should be the first 3 weeks of your maternity. You wanted to start your maternity at 39 weeks pregnant Which really they should have set up a back up plan for as that was very hopeful.

You need to forget about your work now amd just focus on enjoying this "maternity" leave and getting rested and ready fo baby to arrive and not stressing yourself out over something only you actually care about .. your work will have moved on by now as they don't have you for several months anyway

CosyCoupe88 Mon 10-Apr-17 07:32:53

That reads quite harshly.. what I am trying ti say is don't cry over split milk and don't look to then for sympathy ... look after yourself and little ones now and don't worry about work

lougle Mon 10-Apr-17 07:40:58

I would expect that your employer would consider your sickness to be pregnancy related and it will trigger your maternity leave. In which case, you are free to do anything you want to do. Even if they don't do that, being signed unfit to work doesn't mean you can't leave the house, but you should bear in mind that if your fit note says you are suffering extreme exhaustion, you would cast doubt on that if you are seen doing something very energetic.

Photograph Mon 10-Apr-17 07:43:27

You are signed off sick at 36 weeks, to allow you to have longer maternity leave? That is taking the piss!

Do everybody a favour, start your official leave, that's what it's for. Of course it's nice to have some time months after your baby is born, but it's hardly essential. Making yourself unwell is ridiculous.

No wonder some employers are very reluctant to help out with flexible time etc when mothers come back to work. If you are already trying to play the system now, it doesn't give much confidence for later.

CosyCoupe88 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:01:07

On the previous thread OP said she was getting signed off with something not pregnancy related to avoid her maternity leave starting early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now