Talk

Advanced search

To not want Doggy Bone Stock

(24 Posts)
DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 19:57:52

Let me expand.

I cooked a leg of lamb for Sunday lunch. After cutting off the left overs from the bone, DH held it for the dogs to gnaw the remaining bits off.

So far so good.

Then he offered to tidy the kitchen after lunch. An offer too good to miss and I took the opportunity to finish my wine whilst reading the papers. After some considerable time, he came into the lounge looking all pleased with himself. I said thank you for tidying up.

He puffed up with pride whilst announcing he had made some stock with the meat bones (he knows I regularly make stock from bones & veg and freeze for later use). I said we don't have any bones. He said we do. He told me he'd washed the dogs bone, added water, red wine and olives (as if that makes it ok). It's all finished and in a jug on the counter. It's still there along with all the mess creating his stock caused!

I don't want to be ungrateful but AIBU to refuse to use it?

What concoction has your other half made that you could not bring yourself to eat/drink?

Floggingmolly Sun 09-Apr-17 20:01:17

God, is he serious? shock. Tip it down the sink!

CookieLady Sun 09-Apr-17 20:02:14

That sounds disgusting. He does get brownie points for trying to be helpful. grin

Catsize Sun 09-Apr-17 20:05:17

There are people who let their dogs lick their faces. I find it staggering, but if you fall into that camp, eat the doggy stock.

PeaFaceMcgee Sun 09-Apr-17 20:05:18

Ugh fucking grim. And 'trying to be helpful' CookieLady? How is it 'helpful' when a man does stuff in the kitchen? It should be the norm. To say it's 'helpful' infers that only women belong in the kitchen.

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:06:18

Yes Flog' he is serious. I could take a photo if you like grin

Defo brownie points for 'helping' 'Lady

Llanali Sun 09-Apr-17 20:06:19

Oh my god, I'm pretty laid back on the old out of date/five minute/ sure it's fine rules, but I wouldn't be eating dog bone stock!

My other half gave us all food poisoning, with bolognese of all things once, but the one thing he Can.Not.Cook is porridge. It's vile!! I'm chief porridge chef here.

Llanali Sun 09-Apr-17 20:07:44

Oh don't, catsize. I've got a puppy here ATM and I'm teaching her, like all the dogs, not to lick. So I can't abide when people fuss her and say "ahhh kisses" - it's not kisses, it's grim!!

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:09:08

It's the norm for us Pea'

I'm sah whilst DH brings home the proverbial bacon grin. We are a good team imo.

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 20:09:17

Olives! Olives in stock?! He is insane. Never mind the doggy chewed lamb bones confused.

Floggingmolly Sun 09-Apr-17 20:11:17

Why would he get Brownie points for producing that muck? Praise him and he'll do it again!

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:12:31

May I add he was deadly serious with his efforts too! He totally can't understand my reluctance to use it.

It will most definatley be going down the sink once I can be bothered to go into the kitchen.

Oh my food poisoning can be deadly Llan' shock

ScrambledSmegs Sun 09-Apr-17 20:13:48

Make him drink it.

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:14:29

Heman' I think he thought he was being exotic and adventurous by adding olives grin

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:15:37

In dh defence, he doesn't often cook. Nonetheless using the Doggy bones is quite vile.

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:17:47

llan' I'm with you on the Doggy licks/kisses. I go crazy even if they lick my leg/foot. I hate Doggy slaver with a passion. I do dearly love dogs though.

picklemepopcorn Sun 09-Apr-17 20:18:59

Ignoring the doggy status of the bone, you can't make bone stock in that length of time!

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 20:23:59

I think he thought he was being exotic and adventurous by adding olives He's obviously been watching too much of the Food Network, seen something and taken it Too Far. Tell him you'll have no truck with that nonsense and pour it down the sink grin.

DevilsDumplings Sun 09-Apr-17 20:25:02

Agreed Pickle', you can't make stock that quickly. I do mine over hours and hours.

Chattymummyhere Sun 09-Apr-17 20:26:38

I thought this was going to be about proper dog bone stock and say well of course you don't eat it it's made for dogs. However still don't eat it the dogs have been at the bone eww

Llanali Sun 09-Apr-17 20:32:07

Shame it's got too much red vino in it; otherwise I would have fed it to said dogs!

Ha, yes, he was mortified! To be fair, he's put up with many of my concoctions over the years, we are probably square if one bout of poisoning equals about 200 horrendous inedible productions grin

Yep, dog lovers here- we breed occasionally, we show, we foster and we rescue, but hell will freeze before they are allowed to lick me or my child!!

Meekonsandwich Tue 11-Apr-17 11:03:17

As in, the bones that had been all over the floor and chewed on by the dogs?!?!

Jesus h. Christ. Does he have a habit of eating things off the floor that other things have eaten?!?!?!?!

The germs!!!! The germs!!!!!

Cherrysoup Tue 11-Apr-17 11:07:07

Jesus, is he on glue? And tell him not to let the dog near cooked bones, they splinter and can cause huge issues.

nympthinyellow Tue 11-Apr-17 11:09:01

Haha reminds me of DH aunt- she has a history of giving people food poisoning. Once I witnessed one of her 4 dogs grab a steak off the table, said aunt wrestled the steak out of the dogs mouth, washed it under the tap and put it back on the table shockso glad I'm a veggie!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now