Talk

Advanced search

8 year old watching an 18 movie!

(7 Posts)
2ndRuleOfFightClub Sun 09-Apr-17 16:56:51

My DS1 is 8 and recently made a friend, who's 8-9. Friend was at my house and the boys were play fighting in the garden like 8 year olds do.
DS2 (6) then went to play with then and DS1 and friend start doing some play-initiation thing into their 'club'.
Friend then tells DS2 that 'the first rule of fight club is to not talk about fight club' and continues to say Brad Pitt's whole little speech thing.
I was surprised to say the least. I mean don't get me wrong fight clubs a great movie but what​ 8 year old has watched it. Friend's father came to pick him up later and I asked about it. He said it was friends favourite movie. I didn't say anything more about it.

I know it's not my place to question how someone else parents but it's not normal for an 8 year olds favourite move to be Fight Club, is it? Or maybe I'm just being unreasonable to think it's not okay. It's not like DS watched it at his house or anything.

ragz134 Sun 09-Apr-17 16:58:32

I'm forever shocked by what my kids' friends are allowed to do...
It's none of our business though.

ClashCityRocker Sun 09-Apr-17 17:09:52

Wouldn't be my first choice for an eight year old, no. I can't imagine they'd get it and as illustrated by your post, will just pick up on the fighting aspect. And the drug abuse, suicidal ideation and various other dark themes.

Having said that, I think the eighteen rating is quite harsh. But yes, far too old for eight. Great book though and a rather decent film adaptation.

elektrawoman Sun 09-Apr-17 17:15:26

I agree, I wouldn't let my 8 year old watch Fight Club or any 18 film for that matter (he has seen some 12 films where I decided it was ok), but I am often shocked by the the films/computer games other children his age have seen.

MamaOfSolandJ Sun 09-Apr-17 17:21:03

Wow. My DS2 is 8 and there's no way he would be allowed to watch an 18! There's not a lot you could do but probably just make sure that when DS goes to his friends house he doesn't watch anything innaproapriate, but I doubt his parents wouldn't ask first i they were to.

hamandmustard Sun 09-Apr-17 17:22:54

Have they watched it though? It is an iconic phrase- I use it and have never watched it.

Areyoufree Sun 09-Apr-17 17:28:02

We were talking to a little boy in my daughter's reception class (so aged 5) at school. My husband asked him his favourite pool, boy just looked at him and said "Deadpool". We were not expecting that.

Doesn't mean he has watched it though - he could have an older sibling that has told him about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now