Talk

Advanced search

To think this was a bit sexist?

(64 Posts)
MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 13:54:22

As I was walking home late last night passed through the centre, and a large group of boys were crossing the road.

It was only me and them on pavement and I overheard one say how "it was such a shame there were so many unattended worldies out there" confusedhmm

What does this even mean? I'm not sure I like the word unattended!!

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 13:56:07

A worldie is a beautiful woman.

I presume they were having a private conversation, they weren't talking about you were they?

VladmirsPoutine Sun 09-Apr-17 13:57:05

What does that even mean!? Without definition it's hard to say whether or not it constitutes as sexist.

MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 13:57:39

I don't know - as I saw it was only me and them along the whole road so it sounded like they were? I'm not that pretty so this is not a stealth boast - I was by myself so wondered if it was a reference to girls being out by themselves?

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 13:58:16

See above for definition...

So basically a group of lads were talking amongst themselves and you overheard and assumed they were being sexist without knowing what the word meant?

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 13:59:10

It may well have been a reference to that - it was a private conversation though, people are well within their rights to talk about stuff amongst themselves

MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 13:59:52

It sounded like they were talking about me though esp with the use of the word unattended

MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 14:00:05

Which is fairly creepy

VladmirsPoutine Sun 09-Apr-17 14:00:28

In light of Livia's post it seems you over-reacted and you think too much of it.
Just a group of boys who presumably didn't accost you or bother you.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 14:01:25

Wow. Okay. Do you often think randomers are talking about you? Were they looking at you or giving any indication of speaking about you?

TheStoic Sun 09-Apr-17 14:01:55

How could they be talking about you if it was plural?

Probably talking about the pub they'd just been at, and all the cute girls that were there.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 14:02:18

And as you didn't know what it meant, why would you not at least look it up before clutching your pearls? grin

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 14:02:50

Oh hold on... this is one of those stealth boasts, isn't it...

AgentProvocateur Sun 09-Apr-17 14:02:50

So you don't know what it means, but because it was a "boy" (under 16, I presume?) said it, you presume it's sexist? hmm Bonkers.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 09-Apr-17 14:04:35

"it was such a shame there were so many unattended worldies out there"
That comment is in the past tense and he was talking about multiple people. So no, he wasnt talking about you.

Its impossible to say if the comment was sexist or not as we don't know the context.

MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 14:08:34

It was in the present

MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 14:09:33

I put it in the past - direct quote is "it is such a shame there are so many unattended worldies out there" - they were in their 20s, probably a bit older than me

ChasedByBees Sun 09-Apr-17 14:10:03

If the word Worldies means beautiful woman then of course it's sexist. If it's a private conversation, it's still sexist.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 14:10:11

But why assume they were discussing you? They could have been speaking in general. Presumably they were just chatting and you happened to be in the vicinity?

Seriously, people actually seek out things to be offended by on this site...

LavenderDoll Sun 09-Apr-17 14:11:36

They were saying that there were a lot of single pretty girls out. Unattended means single not with someone

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 14:12:20

So saying there are a lot of beautiful single women out there? Well that isn't sexist.

TheStoic Sun 09-Apr-17 14:21:18

I think you've got brilliant self-esteem OP.

It would never occur to me that a group of young men were talking about me in that situation. grin

MarikaPepper Sun 09-Apr-17 14:27:38

They were looking at me, I'm their age, it was dark!!

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 09-Apr-17 14:29:33

Okay well you want someone to tell you they were being sexist and talking about you.

They were saying it was a shame that so many beautiful women were single.... how did they know you were single?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 09-Apr-17 14:32:23

You're over thinking thisgrin.

It may have been a comment about you or not, who knows?

Don't give it head space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now