Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at driving 91 mph on a 70 mph road.

(323 Posts)
Jupitertomars Sun 09-Apr-17 12:56:28

On a 70mph road with myself in the back as 7 month of DD was crying so 5 year old is in the front.

I was furious. OH rolls eyes when I shout "wow!! Slow down! Your going 91 mph!!"

Then give him death stare.

He replies "stop looking at me like that. I'm not going to crash."

It makes me so frustrated as he just doesn't take it serious.

I know it's common to go slightly over the speed limit but this was too far for me. It's really annoyed me but I don't want it to ruin our day out.

PuntCuffin Sun 09-Apr-17 13:04:11

My kids point it out when DH speeds. That tends to work, being 'speed shamed' by his own children.

UrethaFranklin Sun 09-Apr-17 13:13:21

91mph is ridiculous and OH is lucky he wasn't caught. I'm assuming it wasn't a motorway either although that still wouldn't make it acceptable.

PebbleInTheMoonlight Sun 09-Apr-17 14:49:50

Even though it'd have to be at least a dual carriageway (with a physical barrier between the different traffic directions) for 70mph to be the speed limit your husband was being an idiot.

Even if he's the world's best driver doubtful the chances of being able to avoid a hazard at that speed are negligible.

If something were to happen, even if the original blame lay with another driver eg switching lanes without checking mirrors the speed would be a contributing factor and would lead to potential police prosecution.

Is it really worth if it for 10 minutes saved?

PebbleInTheMoonlight Sun 09-Apr-17 14:50:43

As a side note it's scary how many people aren't aware that the national speed limit is 60mph unless on a properly separated dual carriageway or motorway.

megletthesecond Sun 09-Apr-17 14:51:10

Yanbu.

LovingLola Sun 09-Apr-17 14:51:52

He is a fucking gobshite.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 14:53:16

He wouldn't be driving my children anywhere again.

TittyGolightly Sun 09-Apr-17 14:55:00

I regularly do 85-90mph with my 6 year old in the car. Speed doesn't necessarily = dangerous.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 14:56:04

Of course it does titty it also makes it illegal.

ivykaty44 Sun 09-Apr-17 14:56:10

I'm not going to crash
If that's the case why does he have comprehensive insurance?
It's against the law for a reason
If you purposely drive to fast and kill someone - what does that make you?

LovingLola Sun 09-Apr-17 14:56:15

I regularly do 85-90mph with my 6 year old in the car. Speed doesn't necessarily = dangerous.
Is that on a motorway or on a country road?

JaxingJump Sun 09-Apr-17 14:56:44

I hope he doesn't drive anywhere near me and my kids. He should be ashamed of himself. Good drivers have horrific crashes going much slower than that.

Grilledaubergines Sun 09-Apr-17 14:56:56

Hopefully he'll get stopped by the Police soon and get a substantial fine and points. Before he kills someone.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 14:57:07

Even 70mph is dangerous, 90 is just more dangerous. If you don't understand that you shouldn't have A license.

TittyGolightly Sun 09-Apr-17 14:59:34

Of course it does titty it also makes it illegal.

Motorways have a 70mph speed limit and have the lowest number of accidents. So no, speed doesn't necessarily equal dangerous.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 15:00:26

Oh well in that case we should just scrap motorway speed limits altogether hmm

TittyGolightly Sun 09-Apr-17 15:01:31

Even 70mph is dangerous, 90 is just more dangerous. If you don't understand that you shouldn't have A license.

Going above 70 in appropriate conditions is a lot less dangerous than middle lane hogging, tailgating, distraction from children/phones, tiredness, needing the loo, driving a car with worn tyres or brakes......... all of which cause accidents more regularly than speed.

LovingLola Sun 09-Apr-17 15:01:53

* Motorways have a 70mph speed limit and have the lowest number of accidents. So no, speed doesn't necessarily equal dangerous.*

You can't cure stupid...

TittyGolightly Sun 09-Apr-17 15:01:54

Oh well in that case we should just scrap motorway speed limits altogether

Works in Germany. grin

NorthernLurker Sun 09-Apr-17 15:03:02

I don't think shouting at your husband whilst he's driving at 91mph is necessarily the best approach.

user1471558436 Sun 09-Apr-17 15:03:53

Of course faster is more dangerous. Takes much longer to break, reactions to traffic movement/surprises has to be quicker, other drivers might feel surprised/pressurised out of the way

TittyGolightly Sun 09-Apr-17 15:04:10

I have an advanced driving licence and a racing licence. I have been caught speeding once in 22 years of driving (doing 35 in a 30 - had just changed from a 40) and even the bloke delivering the speed awareness course agreed that the issue was inappropriate speed, not speed per se.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 15:04:14

Going above 70 in appropriate conditions is a lot less dangerous than middle lane hogging, tailgating, distraction from children/phones, tiredness, needing the loo, driving a car with worn tyres or brakes......... all of which cause accidents more regularly than speed.

And who was advocating that instead of doing 90mph you do any of those things? It's possible to do none of those things and just drive safely. Driving isn't a choice between speeding at 90 or any/all of those things is it?

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 15:04:55

Works in Germany. grin

No motorway accidents in Germany?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now