Talk

Advanced search

Things that are witchcraft.

(48 Posts)
LookAtTheFlowersKerry Sun 09-Apr-17 10:53:44

Apple Pay.

Alexa.

Talking to Sky Q to tell it what to play.

Integrated sound systems.

Controlling light bulbs and the kettle from an app.

Even smart phones themselves.

They blow my mind. The last few years have seen such crazy advances in witchcraft technology. I feel like we're living in Star Trek.

What do you think it'll be like in a few years? It's quite exciting but I do find it all a bit discombobulating.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Sun 09-Apr-17 10:58:44

I've been using Apple Pay for months now and I STILL get a frisson every single time. It's just like magic.

It can't just be me?

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 09-Apr-17 11:01:22

I thought this was going to be about the witchcraft some people employ to have an immaculate house, children, pets, work and always look well turned out themselves. grin

Saying that I know what you mean about technology, I'm in my twenties so some of it I grew up with but contactless payments still freak me out. I've changed banks so I could opt out of having it on my card after hearing of way to many bad experiences blush

Givemeallthegin Sun 09-Apr-17 11:04:09

Not witchcraft - IoT technology. (Internet of things) Literally devices that can understand us when we talk to them and send the information over the internet to be processed. For example:
Smart fridges ordering food
Watches sending heart information to our doctor
Alexa downloading a song.....

and so on....

Maudlinmaud Sun 09-Apr-17 11:09:00

What? You can talk to sky Q? I just went back to sky last week, how did I not know this?

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Sun 09-Apr-17 11:21:26

I think it's a new thing, I only found it in the last few days. You press the button on the side of the magic remote.

ShiroiKoibito Sun 09-Apr-17 21:11:06

ooh tell me more about talking to SkyQ - we're getting it next week

BringOnTheScience Sun 09-Apr-17 21:20:02

Google Translate app in camera mode. You just hold your phone up to a sign or large print wording and it translates the image in to any language. Bl**dy miraculous.

Mermaidinthesea123 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:24:51

Actually getting out of bed and shoe horning myself into my uniform aged 55 is witchcraft.
The other day I locked myself out of the house at 6am so went rounf to wake my neighbour up, she has a spare key. She said your uniform is on inside out.
As for my smart phone I am bored with that already. Why do people find them so fascinating? It's just basically work that I carry around with me when I've finished work for the day.

picklemepopcorn Sun 09-Apr-17 21:27:11

The cloud!

RestlessTraveller Sun 09-Apr-17 21:29:24

Oh. My. God. Bring OnTheScience

Just tried it. Mind officially blown.

Clandestino Sun 09-Apr-17 21:36:32

I work with it and it's fun. A good subject for some surreal discussions though. For example, the AI can't recognise the natural subtleties of human language (yet). So, how long will it take for them to get it? Or will humans, trying to communicate with various chatbots which are slowly replacing the customer service frontend start adjusting their speech to be more straightforward so that we will eventually lose most of the nuances which make our communication so interesting and human?

UndergroundOverground Sun 09-Apr-17 21:39:08

WiFi

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Sun 09-Apr-17 21:40:54

I'm a bit like that with the advertising boards that show actual moving adverts.

it's like being in Harry Potter.

countrygirl55 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:54:33

We went to look at cars this weekend as DP has to give back his company one soon. One of them came with this http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/quick-take-bmw-gesture-control-1318059

Basically you control things by waving your hands around in the car. Deffo witchcraft!

originalbiglymavis Sun 09-Apr-17 21:56:49

Look, it's really not any better since post it notes, wet wipes and 'edit undo' as far as I'm concerned.

Cherrysoup Sun 09-Apr-17 22:07:19

Totally love it. 'OK, Google....' So exciting! I think some of the older generation must be very bemused, tho. The advances are like sci-fi to some of them. My mum can't even turn on a computer. She doesn't understand texting, I don't even try to explain Whatsapp. She likes snail mail and her mate in France hand writes then scans her letters to email her! So cute! She tells me my sil rang from where she lives abroad about something and I'm like 'Yeah, I saw the picture on FB'.

The first time my dh put something to record on Sky from his phone in the pub, I was amazed. Now, every answer is immediate via Google, every song can be Shazammed, it's astonishing.

DandelionAndBedrock Sun 09-Apr-17 22:11:31

On a more mundane level, I find rollerball pens totally mesmerising. Put your head on the table and watch yourself write something...wastes a few minutes!

eternalopt Mon 10-Apr-17 10:59:23

My phone telling me this morning how long it would take me to get to my sons school and when I should leave. It's learnt my routine and knew I was breaking it. shock

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:04:59

My 4 year old nephew showed me how to do something on the iPad the other day. That's witchcraft. An entire generation that will never utter the words "I'm crap with computers" because they've become such an extension of our lives.

ragz134 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:13:12

Every time I use contactless payment I feel a bit magic...
I grew up without even electricity a lot of the time, so everything seems even more magic to me, lol

Mistoffelees Mon 10-Apr-17 11:13:41

At some theatres you can use an app to order drinks and snacks for the interval and on the underground you can use your contactless card instead of buying a ticket, DH and I found those two things the most impressive on our recent trip to London!

emwithme Mon 10-Apr-17 11:15:24

I thought this was going to be "people who can fold fitted sheets tidily". THAT is definitely witchcraft

DJBaggySmalls Mon 10-Apr-17 11:17:08

Engines. You put a flammable liquid in and it makes some of the wheels turn.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 10-Apr-17 11:19:16

I can fold fitted sheets so that they are as flat as a.. .flat sheet.
I've got fuck all idea about Alexa or Shazam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now