Talk

Advanced search

To share my views on religion with my children

(7 Posts)
purpleangel17 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:42:12

I suppose I have a slightly non-mainstream view on religion but a non-offensive one, I thought. I essentially believe all the main religions believe in the same God who can also be called by many other names including the Universe and Spirit and that living a good life is more important than what religion you follow. I also believe in angels and that we can manifest what we desire if we want it badly enough.

I haven't indoctrinated my kids but when they ask questions I tell them what I believe but also tell them other people believe different things and they can make their own minds up when they are older. They have also seen me ask the angels for help and I know they do it too sometimes. They also know I read Tarot and use a pendulum but I have told them it is only a guide and sometimes it's wrong. They don't use either themselves but they sometimes ask me to ask a question for them and I do but am very measured in how I interpret it.

Some people have criticised me 'filling their head with airy fairy nonsense' but my kids have been raised to question and challenge and I am sure they will make their own minds up when they are older. I am not teaching intolerance of any kind.

So ... AIBU?

catscurledupbythefire Sun 09-Apr-17 09:43:38

No more or less so than any other parent raising their child in their religion of choice.

Edballsisoneniftydancer Sun 09-Apr-17 09:45:42

Sounds like a plan to me, as long as (and I have made parallel points elsewhere) sharing is not one of those irregular versbs in your lexicon, you know like

I share
You endocrinate
He brainwashes

Otherwise, go for it!

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 09-Apr-17 09:46:11

Well it's all guff so you aren't doing any different than people raising their children as Christian or Muslim or Jewish etc etc.

I think you are all being unreasonable.

Edballsisoneniftydancer Sun 09-Apr-17 09:46:40

But just to be clear, in this case I am firmly on team saying 'airy fairy nonsense'

araiwa Sun 09-Apr-17 09:47:32

you should teach them to make up their own minds

and if you do it well, they'll ignore the whole nonsense

isittheholidaysyet Sun 09-Apr-17 09:50:54

You have every right to raise you child in the religion (or non-religion or philosophical thought) of your choice.

You also are within your right to tell them that what everyone else believes is a load of rubbish. (Or to tell them that other people believe differently and they can make up their minds when they are older, if that's what you believe.)

Just remember, everyone else has the same right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now