Talk

Advanced search

To think this is unfair...

(20 Posts)
FrenchFrys Sun 09-Apr-17 09:08:10

I really wanted to see the new Beauty and the Beast film as the animated version was my favourite while growing up. I've waited for my sister to visit (she lives away and comes home every 3 months or so) because it was a film we both loved watching together as children.
I live in the countryside so we can either go to the town cinema (super uncomfortable seats) or travel a bit further into the city. This is where the problem lies sad. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have had lots of problems with my hips that has made driving difficult I am finding it very difficult to get the bite in my car now and don't really want to park in a multi story as I am worried I would slip back on the ramp. There isn't any flat parking near the cinema.
I invited my mum with me and DSis and asked if she minded driving (I know this is super cheeky) she said she didn't mind driving there but she would like a drink while we are out. Then DSis suggested visiting a pub we all love in the countryside on the way to the cinema and then mum said as it's going to be so hot today we could just stay at the pub for the afternoon (it's absolutely gorgeous and by the river so is lovely in warm weather). Normally I would be well up for this, all three of us like our wine and a natter but I feel like they have gone from an activity I would enjoy to something that I can't even join in properly with sad. AIBU to think they could go out with each other another day for drinking?

Sorry for the essay!

CashelGirl Sun 09-Apr-17 09:10:25

Even if you can't have a drink, you can sit in the sunshine and enjoy a natter with them. Might be the last time for ages that it is just the three of you.

TheSnowFairy Sun 09-Apr-17 09:11:20

YANBU but YABU to want to be indoors on such a lovely day

FrenchFrys Sun 09-Apr-17 09:13:22

I know I am being unreasonable wanting to be inside but I am so massively massive and have nothing to wear in the sun ☹️.

Livelovebehappy Sun 09-Apr-17 09:14:59

TBH, I keep cinema visits for bad weather days; of which we have plenty. It's not often in this country we get the opportunity to sit outside in the sun with a glass of something cold having a natter, so I would have gone for that option. You don't need to have alcohol to have an enjoyable time. Can't you maybe arrange a trip to the cinema over Easter, when apparently the weather isn't going to be quite as good?

PurpleDaisies Sun 09-Apr-17 09:16:24

Did you tell them you were really looking forward to the cinema and wanted to do that instead?

MelinaMercury Sun 09-Apr-17 09:18:10

It is a bit crap that you've made plans then they've gone back on them but it's not often that the three of you get time together so maybe they thought it'd be nicer to be able to chat and enjoy each others company in the sun rather than sitting silently in the cinema?

Could you suggest going to the cinema then to the pub for dinner/drink maybe? Maybe all chip in for taxi's or something if it's not too expensive so they can still have a drink.

FWIW i went to see it with my Mum and sisters and completely ignored them getting lost in the familiar songs and the amazing characters so you could totally see it by yourself anyway smile

lionsleepstonight Sun 09-Apr-17 09:19:15

It's hard when you've got your heart set on something, but today is meant to be gorgeously sunny. A bit of a waste to spend a few hours in the dark?
It'll be cold again soon, the film will be on for the next 2 weeks at least.

lionsleepstonight Sun 09-Apr-17 09:22:06

Sorry. Just seen you are 38 wks! It might be too hot and sweaty for you and your last opportunity before baby comes.
Hmmmm. Can you go this evening instead?

Edballsisoneniftydancer Sun 09-Apr-17 09:22:40

I'm not clear on the logistics here...is the plan now that you don't go to the cinema at all.

Whilst I agree with Cashelgirl I am a bit concerned about your mum. Can she really not conceive of an afternoon out without alcohol? Not even for the sake of her heavily pregnant daughter? I really DON'T see how it was super cheeky of you to ask someone else to drive, far less a family member!

Bluntness100 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:22:47

To be fair as your sister comes home every three months and uou state you all enjoy your wine and a natter, I think it's a bit unreasonable to say they should all go to the cinema instead and sit in silence watching a movie as you can't drink and don't have anything to wear. You can have a soft drink and sit in the sun and enjoy their company. Just by an over sized t shirt and some leggings, pair of sunglasses and sit in a shade spot and you'll be fine.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 09-Apr-17 09:27:59

I don't think YABU. She made plans with family for something you would all enjoy and something you could join in with whilst heavily pg.

Now they want to do something they could do anytime and that you won't enjoy.

mando12345 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:38:09

I think YABU thinking you can't enjoy the afternoon without alcohol.
YANBU being annoyed about having your own changed from something you are looking forward to.
Can't you have a couple of hours at the pub then go to the cinema.

Edballsisoneniftydancer Sun 09-Apr-17 09:41:29

Can't you have a couple of hours at the pub then go to the cinema

I am sure that could be negotiated but it leaves the question of who will drive?

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 09-Apr-17 09:43:03

Yanbu OP. Neither of those activities takes all day; you've plenty of time to do both today. A couple of hours in a cinema isn't going to stop them from enjoying the weather for the rest of the day. And yes it does seem as though neither of them have really absorbed the point that this is what you want to do and you've not got much time left to enjoy yourself before the baby arrives !

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 09-Apr-17 09:43:49

Can you go to a morning/ lunchtime screening and then go to the pub for the afternoon ?

JustSpeakSense Sun 09-Apr-17 09:56:56

Who will drive if your DM is drinking?

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Apr-17 10:04:12

Ffs we all like a drink occasionally, but if I was with my 38 week pregnant daughter I wouldn't be drinking at all and would do anything she wanted to do.

Edballsisoneniftydancer Sun 09-Apr-17 10:06:42

Ffs we all like a drink occasionally, but if I was with my 38 week pregnant daughter I wouldn't be drinking at all and would do anything she wanted to do.

Correct!

greeeen Sun 09-Apr-17 10:15:54

It's definitely unreasonable but I would of been secretly annoyed too, apparently I was an angry pregnant lady though. Sitting out in the sun while everyone drinks and you feel like a sweaty whale, no thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now